PDA

View Full Version : First monoprint

sunny
01-15-2003, 10:34 AM
I used oils for this monoprint...since I am new to this, it was very exciting...I painted the image on glass, then made the print. I couldn't remove the painting from the glass...it looks too pretty.

As for the print...I used a light cotton paper...maybe not such a good idea...the print came out rather light....but I am going enhance it with pastel...I also have a ghost image which is really neat looking.

just thought I would post ....especially if you can help me get a better print for the next one..Comments...and any help definitly appreciated.

bikevstar
01-15-2003, 10:43 AM
Please, please do not touch this monotype. It's perfect. That's the beauty of monotype, not perfect definition. If you check out Julia Ayres book, this print would be in there as an example. This is beautiful! I know you have the urge to make everything more defined but I'm tellin' ya, don't do it. It's great. Take the ghost print and work with it and see which one you like better. Will it be the one you just promised me you wouldn't touch or the ghost print with the pastel too?

Beautiful work!
Kelly

sunny
01-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Kelly,
Hummmm, you have me thinking now...dangerous:D

I'm posting the piece painted on glass:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2003/3827-Danee_glass.jpg

And the ghost image:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jan-2003/3827-Danee_ghost.jpg

Don't laugh, but I have never seen an original monoprint...:eek: :mad:
So I can only go by the images I see printed in books...I love the texture of the print...it would be a shame to cover it..but I don't think I'm brave enough for it to stand alone...

I will work on the ghost...I promise..and see if I like how that turns out..

thanks for your lovely comments..:)

bikevstar
01-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Thank you! I mean it is your art, I just love that first print. To be honest I'm a big fan of the ghost print. Degas used to do a monoprint and I think he used the ghost print and then pastels over it. What the hell, you can always do more and change things that you want darker or whatever. I just hate to see that first one touched. But hey, you won't know unless you try. Really nice first mono. You should wait and get some more responses and then decide. I just love it. I'm not sure if it's Gisela or who it is but wait for a comment from one of the experts!

Good for you! Kelly:clap:

sunny
01-15-2003, 12:39 PM
Kelly,
I really appreciate your comments, I'm going to take your advice....to not touch the print...I am a little shy about it....so you boosted my decision..

I read about Degas also and the ghost print...I'll put my Degas hat on...hee hee.yeah right...and work on the ghost image..than post it in the pastel forum.

I have to do more of these...they are too much fun..thanks so much:)

Gisela
01-17-2003, 05:27 AM
Hi Sunny,
Welcome to the wonderful world of monotype! You're in for some fun now!
This a beautiful print -- I'm with Kelly -- leave the first print as it is and play with the ghost print. The first print is stunning!!! :)
I don't blame you for leaving the paint on the glass -- that looks great too.
Please let us see what else you do with the ghost. (post it here too please!)

Gisela

sunny
01-17-2003, 08:27 AM
:) thanks so much Gisela...you are right..fun it is. I was captured by the texture and strokes of the brush that the monoprint revealed...Seeing a monoprint in a book does not do the technique any justice...

I am definitly going to do more.

I will share the pastel from the ghost print...I'm going to work on it today...you guys are so kind...

Now if I can get locked in my room...and have a few crumbs pushed under the door...to feed my belly...I'm off to feed my excitement...:D

sassybird
01-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Never Never Never!!!! Thow away a ghost print no matter how light it may be. I have ghosts that I have kept around for several years. I keep them at hand so that when an image comes to mind it is often inspired by the ghost, or the ghost is called to merge with the image. You can get some surprising results with this marriage of images.