PDA

View Full Version : VISUAL JOURNAL Online Workshops

RainySea
12-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Hello,

I am signed up for some cool workshops from Strathmore using the new Visual Journals. Its free to sign up for these. . . would anyone like to join me?

Here is the page to check out!
http://www.strathmoreartist.com/vj-workshop-about.html
or
http://www.strathmoreartist.com/vjworkshop2011.html

Sounds fun!

virgo68
12-22-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the link, I am off to check it out!

DrDebby
12-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks for posting this, Rainy. I don't know what my candy schedule will be like next year so hesitate to make that commitment. Thinking about it tho'. :)

Jakesgram
12-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Yes, Rainy -- thanks for posting this. I took an Art Journal class at Poway High School a couple of years ago and loved it. I've been too wrapped up since to do much in the journal, but think this will be a good way to get me kick started again. I will probably sign up since the workshops are self-paced and open until August.

Jean

eyepaint
12-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the link, Rainy. I'll check it out soon.

CandAlArt
12-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Pardon my big "duh" but how does an online workshop work? The "free" part always sound good! I have an art journal (the collagey-wackydoodle type) and I very much enjoy binge entry creating and reading books about them. If this is self paced (due to work interfering horribly with art and social life) I would be very interested. Thanks in advance.

robertsloan2
12-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Rainy, these do look fun although I'm not good at collage. I might not have time though, just got started on some major projects.

RainySea
12-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Candace, there are four lessons per class and three classes. They are self paced and last I think through August as far as signing up. . . . The first one does not start til Jan 1, so I'm not sure how it will work completely. They do have a pretty cool system once you are signed up where you can have your own blog like page to input your work and see the work of others on their pages. Can't say much more til it begins though. Sorry.

Kitty69
12-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Rainy, thanks for the link. I have signed up, ready to go! Cannot wait until January 1st.....:D

poochemio
12-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks Rainy, signed up and ready to go. Should be fun, I love Roz Stendahls blog so anything she throws our way ought to be a blast. Like your new avatar Rainy, puppy love!

Selina Designs
12-29-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm signed up for all three as well!! I am very excited about the possibilities for exploration in these workshops - as well as the commitment. That will make it harder for me to say "I don't have time"...........and that's a major issue for me!
See y'all there!!!

Joan T
12-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Yahoo! I signed up for all three too. It sounds like we can work at our own pace so it shouldn't be too much pressure. I also forwarded it to some of my sketchnight friends who are into journaling. Thanks for letting us know about this.

Vivien Maloney
01-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the link Rainy. I've registered for the Workshops. Sounds really interesting.

RainySea
01-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Oh, great. . . you guys can FRIEND me at the VJ site . . . I am on as Rainy :)

poochemio
01-02-2011, 01:35 PM
My online name everywhere ning is bicemama. Rainy and I are already friends, I thought it was you glad to know I was right!

vhere
01-03-2011, 10:03 AM
It looks interesting - thanks for the link

Joan T
01-06-2011, 12:26 PM
If anyone is signing up let us know the name you're using so we can find you. I'm under the same name as here...Joan T. I did find Rainy, Margo, and Kitty. Hope to see a few more of you there.

RainySea
01-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for adding me Joan. . . I hope to get started soon but my Blick package that I ordered last week is not estimated to get here til Monday.

watercolors4me
01-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Rainy,

Thanks for the information. I signed up and watched the first video today. I think I'm going to use bits and pieces of my sketchbook that I wasn't happy with to see what I come up with. This should be fun and interesting. Looking forward to seeing work from all of you. I'm using my same name here watercolors4me (Bonnie)

Joan T
01-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm still waiting for my new journals too, Rainy.

Bonnie - I'll see if I can find you and add you as a friend.

RainySea
01-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I could not find watercolors4me but did find five Bonnie? Are you one of them maybe? I'm just on as Rainy

watercolors4me
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Okay, I started my Visual Journal today and I don't know if I'm supposed to upload it here or not but someone can direct me if it's in the wrong place, please put it where it needs to be. I have everything glued on, now I will have to start Week 2 phase. [IMG]http://ww

I have our porch on here with the grill, drinking coffee, crabbing, boating, fishing, shopping and so on. You get the picture. My favorite month there is September because of the summer breezes. Let me know what you think and if I can improve somehow. I would like to frame this when it's done. Now, gotta get some oil pastels that I have never worked with (oh my). I'm using the 140 lb cold press Strathmore 6 x 9. Help on the oil pastels! :)

Bonnie:)

watercolors4me
01-11-2011, 05:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2011/133216-vj_007.JPG

RainySea
01-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Very cool week one page!! Nice mix of b/w and colored items. You will have fun with that doing the week two version.

Seems we are using the exact same journal and size for our projects! Have fun with the oil pastels. . . I love those so this was my favorite week so far but two more to go! Interesting to see where she is going to have us take them next, huh?!

DrDebby
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Bonnie, looking good. You can have your stuff here. Or, you can start your own thread for this topic. It's ok to have more than one journal thread. Robert, John, and David were keeping us hopping for a while with several journal threads each. :lol: Fun times!

watercolors4me
01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Okay, I bought some supplies today and I think I bought the wrong stuff. Let me know. Instead of oil pastels, I bought Faber-Castell soft pastels. Can they be used on this project. I hope so! Let me know. When I was at Michael's I was amazed at the Visual Journal Sketchbooks. They must be promoting them this month. See you all later. Bonnie

RainySea
01-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Hello,

Well, the problem with using soft pastels in this weeks lesson that I can see is that she has up put watered down gesso over the piece AFTER the application of oil pastels. . . the oil pastels are a resist. Soft pastels will not provide a resist and will actually dissolve/blur from the liquid. Sorry.

watercolors4me
01-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks Rainy - I should have made sure before I bought them. :( Bonnie

watercolors4me
01-20-2011, 09:55 AM
OMG, I worked on my Visual Journal last night and I'm going to have to redo it. I believe I used too much Gesso - darn :(

RainySea
01-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Well, you may be able to salvage still because if you watch through the videos she has us go over several times and unless the gesso has totally whited out/covered your previous page, you can highlight and draw and bring it back like she did I think. Mine was looking pretty murky after putting on the gesso, too.

Joan T
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
You started off really well!!! Don't panic! You can just add another layer of color over the gesso. The soft pastels will probably look great for adding color. I know the ops act as a resist, but I've never liked working with them. I started a 3rd page and posted it in the workshop. I'm not crazy about the first two I did. I'm going to have to work on them more. If the uploader works, I'll start a thread with mine. I also wanted to say that I saw the Strathmore Visual Journals in AC Moore here yesterday and they were twice as much as I paid for them online. I guess it would probably work out to the same price with the sale coupon.

watercolors4me
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Joan and Rainy, I did panic. I used too much gesso and it kinda wiped out my pictures some. I tried to add water to take it off and that didn't help. LOL - I even ran the hose sprayer in the sink over the picture to see what would happen. I'm copying the sketches now as I type this. I was so disappointed because I really liked the way I had laid out the page. Oh well, you live and learn and I'm definitely learning. I need to check out what you all have done. TTYL - Thanks - Bonnie:wave:

watercolors4me
01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Okay, I had to redo my Visual Journal Page and I changed it around some. I'm still not happy with. This time around, the oil pastels didn't seem to smooth out as well. I haven't even looked at Lesson 3 yet. I just put got it all together tonight and put the Gesso on it. Let me know what you think - thanks - bonniehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2011/133216-journal_004.JPG

DrDebby
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry you had to start over. This looks very soft and dreamy.

watercolors4me
01-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks Debby. I finished it today and it looks better than I thought it was going to turn out. I'm pretty happy with it. I think I'm going to try some more. I did a series on a bunch of fish which I would like to do as a grouping. I'll post my finished product in the morning. See you all later. Have fun. Bonnie

watercolors4me
01-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Here's the finished product. I would like to do one just on fish that I have drawn. C & C's are appreciated. :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2011/133216-whale_017.JPG

DrDebby
01-23-2011, 06:33 PM
The more I look, the more things I'm seeing in this. Good job.

RainySea
01-25-2011, 12:18 AM
tons of interest on that page. . . love the use of the dots. Nice work.
I finally finished up mine tonight!

jmb57
01-25-2011, 02:19 AM
would someone explain what 'gesso' is please.
the local art store dont seem to have heard of it.
not sure if it goes by another name here in oz.
thanks
janine

watercolors4me
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Janine,

Gesso is surface prep. I bought the brand Liquitex . It seal and stiffens and provides a "tooth" for painting surfaces. A little goes a long way. Make sure you dilute it well with water. I ruined my first Visual Journal with it. It looks like white glue. Hope this helps. Bonnie