PDA

View Full Version : Sir Peter Scott with a gull on his head. lol

online art
01-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Thought that title might grab your attention, lol

Well I wasn't kidding, recently I went to my local (ish) Wetland center and as some of you may know, Sir Peter Scott was the guy who started it all, with the water-fowl conservation etc over here.

Well to cut the story short, there is a sculpture of him holding a pair of binoculars, it's a bit above life size, anyway when I went there a black headed gull conveniently perched on his head and I don't know why, but it just grabbed my attention and I shot off about 10 photos - I knew I had to have a go at painting it.

The sculpture is bronze or something like that I guess as it's now a fantastic bluey green colour which really set off the colours in the gull.

I've never done a portrait before and was really fancying trying one, guess this combines that with a wildlife theme, don't even know if I should post it in the portraite forum instead, oh well, if you guys don't mind then I'll carry on posting the wip here.

OK, I've started to map out the plan/sketch - it's going to be about 18in high, so it's not very big. Pencil on paper so far, but as usual I will be painting in oils.

online art
01-13-2003, 05:48 PM
Here's a closer view. BTW there is nothing behind the shoulder area, it's just being supported on the arms, so that will make it look even stranger, if it's not strange enough already. lol

Allan Jameson
01-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Great drawing.....will make an interesting painting.

Dark_Shades
01-13-2003, 06:44 PM
lol ..... looking good Jason..... this will be an interesting one

Caron
01-13-2003, 10:15 PM
lol, well you got me Jason! As soon as I saw Sir Peter Scott linked to your name, I thought portrait and knew something was up..;) I am very much looking forward to this one! It is going to be interesting to you to accomplish the bronze or copper effect. I cant wait to see the progress images!

iridemft78
01-14-2003, 02:18 AM
this one is going to be interesting to watch...can't wait. definately a subject with a twist. :)

artcrazy
01-14-2003, 10:04 AM
:D ;) :) great idea;) :) :D

online art
01-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Hi all,

Glad you think it's going to be an interesting one, now the question is can I actually paint it. lol

It always adds to the tension/excitement to post it as a WIP on a forum.

There are a lot of firsts for me going on with this painting, mainly painting a kind of portrait, then the fact that there is NO flesh colours (could be a benefit though).

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it ends up in the bin or not, either way I bet I'm going to learn something from it and that has got to be a plus.

Well got an hour or so to do a little painting etc so I might post an update later on, wish me luck on this one, it's uncharted territory. lol ;)

mel-ink
01-14-2003, 01:55 PM
lol! This is a wonderful idea! Am so looking forward to seeing it progress...you'll do a great job, I'm sure. Thanks for sharing!

:D :D :D

Crystal Owl
01-14-2003, 03:28 PM
I tried to find you a color picture of Sir Peter Scott and found this link unfortunately they didn't have any pictures posted. However those of you that are interested here it is. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/portrait.asp?search=ss&sText=Sir+Peter+Scott&LinkID=mp56746&rNo=0&role=sit

Irene

online art
01-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Got about 1 1/2 hrs painting done tonight.

I transferred the drawing over to my pre toned canvas (mdf).

online art
01-14-2003, 05:21 PM
I then began by blocking in the darkest darks, followed by the midtones. Everything is very rough and is just giving me a starting point to build upon later. That said I seem to have stumbled across a very close match to the colour I was after for the sculpture - pure luck. lol

But every bit of luck helps - I need all I can get. lol

online art
01-14-2003, 05:24 PM
With the darks and midtones in it was time for the lights, I'm always excited putting these in, I've done enough paintings to know that a painting always looks crap until this point, even at the blocking in stage like this.

BTW. Thanks Crystalowl - I'll check that link out.

Hi Mel ink - glad you are following this one.

Dark_Shades
01-14-2003, 06:31 PM
love WIP's ...... this is great....... keep them coming

Padley
01-15-2003, 12:33 PM
can't wait to see it....
looking good already!

Cheers
Paul

online art
01-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Thanks for posting Paul and Dark Shades,

You didn't have to wait too long, I managed to get another 1 1/2 hrs painting again tonight, Yeeehaa, this must be some sort of record for me.

OK, well I had to build up the body to go along with the undercoat on the head.

Ohhh, now how did I mix that colour I stumbled across????

Oh yes, Burnt Umber, some Lamp Black (schhh, don't tell anyone I used black, it's taboo with some artists. lol) and then white to lighten it, I don't usually use white to lighten my colours but in this case it gives a nice opaque cold look.

Did the same thing, ie darks first then mid tones then lights.

online art
01-15-2003, 05:00 PM
With the body blocked in it was time to tackle the hands - it immediately crossed my mind that I should leave it for now and have some supper. lol - fear factor was starting to kick in, I was happy with it so far, even for an undercoat, didn't want to blow-it on the hands, they're one of the hardest bits.

Then again with oils I can just wipe off and start again, and anyway I can always blame the sculpter for funny looking hands if they didn't turn out that good. lol

I decided to go for it and the rest of the sculpture/painting was blocked in as before.

See the unusual way that the body is supported on the arms. I think it looks real cool and strange looking, guess that was one of the main reasons I liked it.

Sorry you have all had to trudge through this portrait part but the gull should be coming soon!!! lol

Hope your all enjoying this as much as I am, it makes a nice change.

Mo.
01-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Hi Jason,
I'm intrigued by this one, was it Slimbridge Wild fowl Trust that you found Sir Peter? You have captured a super likeness, the subject matter is a hoot I love it! Your WIP is so interesting to me as I've not painted in oils for some years, thinking of returning to it though, lamp black was my fav black, used it all the time ;) it's such a velvety black as I recall, and sometimes you have to resort to it, 'cos mixes do not produce that extra depth that lamp black can give when needed. You are doing such a grand job here, look forward to more.
Cheers.
Mo.

ptantono
01-15-2003, 10:07 PM
:D :D :D This is really fun. Look foward to see you paint the full (on his head). :D

Dark_Shades
01-16-2003, 09:48 AM
this is looking great Jason (knew it would) .... more updates please :D

online art
01-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Hi Mo,

Yes it was Slimbridge, well spotted, glad you think it looks like Sir. Peter, and that you are enjoying the WIP.

Hi Ptantono,

Gull coming up soon.

Hi Dark Shades,

Thanks for staying with it, and your confidence in me. More WIP coming up, boy you really keep the pressure on. lol

Jakeally
01-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Excellent Jason and what a fabulous subject. I am learning so much from your WIP's and I look forward to your next post.
I have never done a portrait and somehow never get time to look in the portrait forum so this is doubly interesting for me....thanks for taking the time.:cat:

online art
01-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks Jakeally, never done a portrait myself either, so I guess were both learning, lol.

Just done a little more, dropped a background in, very simple scheme, just Coeruleon Blue, a little Cobalt Blue and Titanium White.

Fistly I just blocked it in roughly upto the edge of the sculpture.

online art
01-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Then I blended the sky with a fan brush, I blended right over the head etc, I don't want any hard edged lines or thick paint to show through later, it will also be beneficial when I do softer lines on the sculpture to give it a more 3d look.

Notice how the cold blue stony look of the sculpture in the previous steps with the warm background has now turned into a much warmer browney clay look because it has a cold blue behind it instead.

Another lesson learnt for me,lol, it's OK though cos it was just blocking in colour on the head for now. The real colours will come later. This may take a little while to dry so please be patient with me.

BFN

Jakeally
01-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Wow...this looks so different now Jason. I am still coming to terms with how you are supposed to use oils....so different to watercolours and a whole new adventure:D
Can you not put the hair dryer on it like you can with watercolours:D :evil: :D

online art
01-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Hi Chris,

You know I tried that hair dryer thing once!!! Honest. Remember hot oil goes more liquidy - well to cut a long story short, lets just say I won't be doing it again. lol

Jakeally
01-16-2003, 06:27 PM
OMG Jason...Lolololololol:D :D

Dark_Shades
01-16-2003, 07:18 PM
*mush *mush!! ...... morrrrrre WIP's please :D

that statue is great Jason..... seems funny to see the gull as disappeared lol .... wondering if thats why he's got the binoculars :)

Leslie Pz
01-16-2003, 08:04 PM
LOL! Can't wait to see more!
-Les

ptantono
01-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Hey man, where is the gull. Flew away ??? This is Animal Forum, we want to see a gull. :D :evil: :D

Jason, learning from you is always great, so precise and easy to understand. :)

artistjan
01-16-2003, 11:06 PM
This is great - the humour is coming through on this thread even though the gull has vanished ;)

I bet Sir Peter would appreciate it all too!

Congrats - I am enjoying your progress :)

online art
01-17-2003, 05:49 PM
OK to all you wise guys that made the cracks like - where's the gull and has he flown away - because of those I've decided not to put him in anymore and make this the only portrait in the animal forum!!!

Only kidding, he just kindof got lost in all the edge blending, he'll be back soon. lol honest. But I may keep him till the end to keep you guessing.

I'm going to make the sky a little warmer blue to make to coolness of the statue stand out more and grade it darker at the top to make the gull more of a centre of interest.

Stay tuned.

Dark_Shades
01-17-2003, 06:03 PM
.... Holy Albatrossi Batman!! ...... who'd of thought of humour in a thread .... yeeeeee gods!! what ever next...... A portrait in the Animal Forum :eek: Shock Horror

...... Hmmmm wonder who the wise guys are?

:D

Mush! Mush!! .... more WIP's ..... I know youre out there somewhere Jason.... ya light be on :)

online art
01-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Dark Shades - you must have good eyes if you can see my light on from england, or do I have a stalker!!! lol

sorry about the humour I'll tone it down, just like I toned the gull, or was it an albatross down. lol

Dark_Shades
01-17-2003, 06:22 PM
lol Jason...... ya little light be the WC candle :D ... nooooo dont stop the humour either...... now Mush!! lol

Anna Marie
01-18-2003, 05:30 PM
I am enjoying watching this progress and am impressed by what I have seen so far.

I have the following things to say.

1) Most of us appear to be Amateurs (We have day jobs to pay the rent I mean) so where do you find time to experiment as well as paint serious dig the garden mow the lawn do the dishes ironing vacuuming and surf the net ??

2) I live just down the road from Slimbridge and in younger years (a lot) used to go to the Rorty Crankle ( Disco over the Tudor Arms Pub) ..... So there .... oh and I once stood in the same room as Sir Peter Scott!

online art
01-18-2003, 06:36 PM
HI Dark Shades me candle was lit again tonight!!! did a little more, was it the gull? You'll have to wait and see, lol

Hi Anna,

Yep I have a day job too, 9 - 5 boooring. where do I find the time? didn't I tell you I'm suuuuuper man. lol no seriously, I really don't have the time that I wish I had, I just make do with an hour here and there, not every day.

So you stood in the same room as Sir Peter Scott. WOW!!! I think he was an incredible man and I really hope he would have liked this little tongue in cheek painting I'm doing.

OK, so tonight I did a second coat on the background, warming it up a little and giving it a bit of direction.

Then I did another coat on the statue, this time making it look cooler and more solid I hope. The statue will probably get a couple more coats finishing with some thicker paint (I wont bore you all with that), but don't worry I'll try to do the gull next, now where did he have to go, Hmmmmm? Oh yes I remember.

online art
01-18-2003, 06:37 PM
And a detail. Candle out for tonight. lol

Jakeally
01-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Jason....this is wonderful. I am not sure you need to put the seagull in at all.....and I couldn't care less that this is the Animal and Wildlife forum.:eek: :D :D
I am sure that Sir Peter would be absolutely thrilled with his portrait....and of course the brilliiant sculpter. You have done a marvelous job with this:clap: :clap: :clap:

Raindrop
01-18-2003, 07:50 PM
The gull! We want the gull! LOL :p
It's a wonderful, funny subject. The statue looks better and better!

online art
01-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Hi Jakeally:

Thanks for the nice comments, glad you like him so far.

Hi Raindrop: OK you win. By popular DEMAND I started the gull today.

Just blocked him in really, but I'm quite happy with the way the sky has worked out, ie making him the center of interest with the darker sky towards the top.

Got lots more to do until it's finished but so far so good.:D

online art
01-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Detail:

Dark_Shades
01-19-2003, 12:45 PM
yeahhhhh for the gull :clap: ..... I was waiting in the wings

.... this one does make me smile :)

Great work on the sculpture too

ptantono
01-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Yuhuuuiiiiiii...there is the gull. I really like the joke on this painting. The gull looks happy standing on the head of Sir Peter Scott, he might be looking proud. :D I love the colors of Sir Peter Scott, very statue colors. Cooollllll Jason. :cool:

Redsy333
01-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Wow love this so far:D
Cant wait to see more, veryyyyy Impressive!!!!

online art
01-21-2003, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone, glad you are all having a giggle out of this one.

I'm trying to give the statue that aged, hard look now, it's taking a while but I think I have a technique going now, so things are moving a little faster.

I've done a fair bit on the head so far.

Jakeally
01-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Wow Jason....I didn't think you could have improved this portrait...but you have managed to get it much more statuesque-like. It looks just like a real statue now....and don't you dare tell how you did it:D Much as I would like to know it has to be your secret:D
I wish you all the luck in the world:D

Leaflin
01-22-2003, 12:28 PM
"Gull darn it" this is good Jason :D
Thanks for sharing your WIP with us :)

Raindrop
01-22-2003, 01:44 PM
ROFLMAO
It almost looks like dear Peter Scott is aware of the gull on his head... Look at his eyes! Look! :D

online art
01-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Jakeally,

Glad you like that extra bit of statue look to him, my secret was....................lol:D Just a bit of dry brush work really.:rolleyes:

Hi Leaflin,

This thread is really bringing out the puns, by Scott. lol

Raindrop,

Thanks, it makes me smile.

Yesterday I went over the whole body with that stone dry brush work, then did another coat on the gull this evening.

The extra coat really makes him appear much more opaque. I have tried to enhance the contrast between the coldness/hardness of Scott and the warm, softness of the gull by adding -

More warm colours to the gull and also trying to give him a bit of attitude by his cheeky posture, don't know if I pulled that off or not but it was my plan.

Here's a close up.

Apologies for the pic, artificail light/digital camera......nuff said.:eek:

online art
01-22-2003, 04:45 PM
Don't know why I took this photo really. Just thought you might like to see my pallet.

Coming to the end of this one now, base to do, then tidy the small bit up.

Now you have all shown an immense talent for puns, sarcasm, jokes etc etc on this thread , so does anyone have the talent to name the piece?:D

Redsy333
01-22-2003, 04:50 PM
Wow this is WONDERFUL!!! You even included the bird Deposits:D Id swear it was a photo!!! Excellent work;)
I wish I could help you in your naming, but I am unfamiliar with your Sir Scott Gent;)

artistjan
01-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Excellent work! I think you have achieved what you set out to do - very well done!

How about "Scott Free"?

Dark_Shades
01-22-2003, 05:09 PM
:eek: u did bird poo :p realisim to extremes lolol

all jokes aside Jason....... this really is a great painting...... were all here waiting for the next instalment

keep up the great work

Jackmorgan
01-22-2003, 05:55 PM
THere's a sense of ironic humor in this that makes it really fun, I love ideas like this! Donna

Jakeally
01-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi! Jason
Just marvelous....so much hunour....I love it:D

As for naming it....well all that comes to mind is " who is this guy anyway":D
Yes....joking aside....fab work Jason. I really think you excelled yourself with this one:clap: :clap: :clap:

online art
01-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi Redsy333,

Glad you like the realism. lol

HI JMF,

Thanks for the compliment, Scott Free. I like it, it's a possible. Thanks

Hi Dark Shades,

So you like the poo then.:D Next installment will be coming up soon.

Hi moochkiss,

This is the first painting I've done with a bit of humor in it, although others might disagree. lol but I think I'll be looking for more ideas as I've really enjoyed this one, something a bit different.

Hi Jakeally,

Glad you have stayed with this one all the way through. " who is this guy anyway" I like it, another possible, thanks.

mel-ink
01-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Hi Jason! This is looking really great!! Thank you for sharing the WIP!!! Hm...names? How about Look Out? (Sort of addresses the poo and the perch of the bird :rolleyes: )

online art
01-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi Mel ink,

Look Out - I like it, thanks.:)

Well did a bit more tonight, I put the stone base in and gave it a mossy worn look.

Then I did a bit of tweaking here and there, punching up the tones a bit.

I'll put it away for a couple of days now, then take a look and if finished it will get signed and that's it onto the next one.

Thanks everyone for posting and staying with me on this painting, hope you all had a giggle every now and then, it's been fun.
:clap:

I'll try to get a few DECENT pics this weekend cos these ones make the gull look really two dimensional, you'll just have to believe me that he looks ok for now, sorry.

online art
01-24-2003, 03:56 PM
Detail.

Finished painting Oil on board, 17 x 12

Dark_Shades
01-24-2003, 04:00 PM
Excellent Piece Jason ...... really original ..... and brilliantly portrayed

:clap:

will be around for the next one ;)

artistjan
01-24-2003, 04:09 PM
He is a well-fed, satisfied looking bird isn't he....

So is the seagull ;)

online art
01-24-2003, 04:11 PM
HI Dark Shades,

Thanks, see you next time then. lol

JMF,

Guess he is, Thanks, lol:D

Jakeally
01-24-2003, 07:42 PM
Jason.....well done that man:D I love the picture.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.
01-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Brilliant piece of art and humour too. I've really enjoyed following this WIP. What talent you have.
As to a title how about "I can't seagull, but know he's there!" :)
Cheers,

paintedhorses
01-25-2003, 08:24 PM
I've been watching this WIP and am so impressed with the way you have brought this all together! :D

What a great idea and you have brought it off wonderfully!

Jeri

Jolanta
01-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Hi,
This is a beautiful painting. To me this little fellow bird with its attitude (tommy forward and "hands" behind the back) is the star and makes the whole picture. Can't help but laugh!

Jolanta

online art
01-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Hi Jakeally,

Thanks for all your input on this one.

Hi Mo,

Nice title, ha, ha. Glad you have enjoyed this thread.

Hi Jeri,

Thanks for the nice comments.:D

Hi Jolanta,

I agree with you, the gull is really the star of this one. :)