PDA

View Full Version : Excited but Intimidated by the Talent here!(FOR BIKEVSTAR)

madster
01-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by bikevstar
I know how you feel. I'm new to this forum too. I've looked at all the creative, wonderful pieces and thought to myself "as if I'll ever post anything here!". I don't need to be the best but I do need to feel like I deserve to be in people's company. I don't know if I'm saying this right?! What I mean is all the amazing art on this site has excited me but at the same time has stopped me cold! I am afraid of the canvas now. This forum has had a positive and negative effect on me. The people are helpful, caring, amazing artists and I've gained so much info and excitement but now I feel like I'm inferior. Isn't that wierd!? I truly thought I'd paint my @#* off! Complete opposite effect! I do have to find a way to get over it or all I'll be is a wannabe artist. Who's to say...maybe we both are better than we think. I'm certainly not afraid of success but I am afraid of failure. Art is the one thing that I've had all these years and getting back into it has been hard. I figure I'll just have to wait it out. Good luck to you and email me if you need to talk. Maybe I should take my signature to heart, eh? (sorry, had to do the Canadian thing)
Kelly

Hi Bikevstar!

I too thought I would never, EVER post anything here at WC, because there are people who just blow my socks off with their talent...

Then I saw some postings that to my eye were simply SO awful, I'd never let them see the light of day, much less post them for the world to see...and you know what? Others would then try to find something anything nice to encourage the artist to keep on keepin' on...so I took the plunge, and I'm still jumping in. Sometimes I'm a hit! Sometimes, I'm a sad miss, and it takes one of the aforementioned kind souls to gently encourage me back on the path. But you know what? It's FUN, either way, just to produce something and get real, live feedback, both good and bad. It definitely encourages you to produce something!

Glad you're here! Join us! Life is too short, and needs to be celebrated by living it, and not just standing on the sidelines watching everyone else do so...

Take the first step, even if it is a baby step. Choose an avatar! You can change it whenever you want, and you can use your own art from your computer, just make it a 60x60 px .gif...

As an old advertisement once said, "Ya gotta want it!" But, Ya gotta make it happen, too. No one else is gonna live your life for you.

Hope to see works posted soon!

bikevstar
01-13-2003, 01:30 PM
Madster!

You made my eyes fill up. Thank you so much for your kind words and they are words of wisdom. I'm trying. I'm having a hard time even getting something done to even post to the group. But when I do I'll dedicate it to you cause you put a smile on my face today and I needed that. Thank you for being so kind and thoughtfull, thank you.

Kelly:D

madster
01-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Glad to share the kindness I've been shown by so many others here at WC...

If you do a work for me, try to use BOLD COLORS!!! I LOVE BOLD COLORS!!!:D

ohjay
01-13-2003, 04:29 PM
bikevstar - maybe my tale can help?

I've been around here for some time now, but haven't had the possibility to post any work due to technicalities (no scanner nor cam for me, nope, nope...:crying: ) So I've just looked around and asked an occasional question or two. Just like madster tells about, I've found pieces soooo good they've boggled my mind, but also some that've lacked a thing or two for them to work, so to speak. And there the wc! community steps up and shoves the creator in the right direction.

Well, to the point - today I finally got to post my first drawing (a nice little portrait) and I was really nervous about it. But the funny thing was, I couldn't even wait to get that first post commented before I wanted to do it again. Just seeing my drawing up there on the screen, in the good company of all the others, was a boost. So one more and then another followed. And now I should be doing some homework :angel: but I'd rather draw something else I can get in here. Something. Anything.

I'd say make the leap - you've got nothing to lose and much to gain. Noone here will bluntly slam your work - if it's great they'll say so and if it needs something they'll tell you that too. And as I've experienced first hand this very day - you need only that first to be on a roll.
Do it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good luck!

-oj

Shehaub
01-13-2003, 09:06 PM
After a few years of hanging around, you will catch yourself saying and having others say to you. "I remember when you were struggling with this or that.. and now look at you!" You have to start somewhere to grow. In the case of an online art community, its got to be that first post. It only gets better from there.

debi-d
01-15-2003, 11:43 AM
wouldnt it be great if we all started out perfect
expressions like "practice makes perfect" "you have to walk before you can fly" all were created for a reason.
I know how you feel but being a self taught painter the only way I can improve is to swallow my pride/ego and post. I have had a few comments that were so truthful they hurt, but it was my sensitive side taking it personally. I had to get over it, I asked for truth and thank godness thats what I got. My painting was muddy and without the truth I may have continued on that line.
I agree there are some mightly fine artists here at wc that I feel in awe to stand in their shadow, but my art is inconjuction with my creator. (I am my creators creation creating) How cool is that.
WHen I took photography in college everyweek we would get togeather and review our work of the week. We all gave suggestions on impoving and I thank God for those sessions for without the honesty and comments of my class mates I dont think I would have improved to the extent I did.
So throw off that busell and bring your light out for the world to see. There are always nay sayers who will try to blow out your candle. You have to learn to shield it so it wont be put out.
(like water off a ducks back) Were here for you.........so post away

Pilan
01-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Bikestar, sometimes it seems like everyone else has talent, I felt and still feel the same way at times.

Think this way for a minute and maybe it will shed a bit of understanding in your journey.

Here is how I am going about or try to go about in my search for something wonderful, as I so call it.

I think someone mentioned practice makes you perfect.
Practice also is the key to your learning.

Practice makes you Better, practice makes you different, practice sets you apart, practice makes you learn, practice makes you struggle, and practice makes you happy. Practice makes you perfect in your own unique way.
And Practice helps you to find your own way.
It cannot be found by going to art school, nor by copying someone elses work. These only help some. It is a journey into your search for your unique style and love for painting.
Whats really great practice is the way to YOUR truth. So many painters that continue to paint others works are not practicing, they are copying. There is just so much of copying that you can learn from but you still have to go your own path. Its a very personal and unique journey. Its your fingerprint in artistic freedom of expression .

The process is the most wonderful trip of all for me. Not the beginning, not the ending but the inbetween. My search for something wonderful.

I'm hanging with you! Keep on painting! Study other paintings, look at magazines, go to museums, watch painting videos, go for walks in the woods, watch people, watch sunsets, watch sunrises. Always keep looking, its as important as practicing.

These are my thoughts and beliefs at this time of my life.

Pilan

Pilan
01-15-2003, 12:34 PM
:clap: bikestar, oj is correct, no-one will slam your work and if they do, well others will come to your aid. :evil: and slam them back. 99.9% of my critiques were very useful and I learned from them. I needed them and never was put down. Each picture that is posted for critique is a fantastic way to learn by just reading others helping hints.

Pilan

Originally posted by ohjay
bikevstar - maybe my tale can help?

Noone here will bluntly slam your work - if it's great they'll say so and if it needs something they'll tell you that too. And as I've experienced first hand this very day - you need only that first to be on a roll.
Do it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good luck!

-oj :clap:

debi-d
01-15-2003, 01:47 PM
normally I paint abstracts, well my mom came over one day and had a look at my art, she says to me "they are giving Bob Ross classes in the village" (oh bless her for her intentions), I dont think she gets my art. BUt I told her thats fine if I wanted to be a reproductionist, but I dont. I want to create my own images that may only mean anything to me. Im good with that cause I only paint for me. Selfish you bet, wouldnt have my art anyother way.
Its all about me, me, me. Doh ray Me Im stuck on that key :o
My dad he compares me to kadinsky. Gotta love em
deb

Pilan
01-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Deb, your cool! :D and funny. i love kadinsky and did not know who he was until I started doing a search on him. Now I have two books about him. I could not resist the 60$ book at the book store. hes great. and if you dad compares you to kadinsky, well your dads great too:D gotta love them Dads!
your absolutelycorrect its all about me and me and thats what i think most art is. about who we are and thats great too! :D

i need to go paint now, been on the pc long enough! have a great day.
Pilan

Originally posted by debi-d
normally I paint abstracts, well my mom came over one day and had a look at my art, she says to me "they are giving Bob Ross classes in the village" (oh bless her for her intentions), I dont think she gets my art. BUt I told her thats fine if I wanted to be a reproductionist, but I dont. I want to create my own images that may only mean anything to me. Im good with that cause I only paint for me. Selfish you bet, wouldnt have my art anyother way.
Its all about me, me, me. Doh ray Me Im stuck on that key :o
My dad he compares me to kadinsky. Gotta love em
deb

ohjay
01-15-2003, 04:41 PM
go for walks in the woods, watch people, watch sunsets, watch sunrises. Always keep looking, its as important as practicing.

Pilan, this I will have to print out in large, friendly letters and hang on the wall by my drawing table.
These things are excactly what kicks me into "drawing mode". Oh well, I'll probably add "listen to music", too.

-oj

Dark_Shades
01-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Madster I came to find you ;) I already knew you was a kind soul.... and this was the first thread I saw of yours ... and like to endorse exactly what you have said.
I only joined in Aug 2002 after spending weeks looking at all the fantastic art work in here .... was too intimidated to post ..... then as you said :) .... perhaps some work was not so good, and they posted .... so I did the same...... I had such a warm and positive welcome..... Ive never looked back ..... now as people get to know me and my work they will offer perhaps critique ..... this is normally done in a caring manner (of which it always should be).... which is greatly received - only leads to improving and trying harder.... Now when newbies come in ...... I hope I show them the same care and consideration that I received :D .....finding something good to say and perhaps and not commenting on other things..... I will show newbies my first works here (portraits)..... though I now think OOps .... but again its all about caring and sharing..... and a way of learning and improving...... I see already how far I have travelled

Its people like you that make this site so great..... (and to put others in their places ;) when needed hee hee )
:clap:

baquitania
01-16-2003, 10:06 PM
Wow I really like this forum, this is like what I really love about WC, the ability for all of us to support each other in time of need.

I'd like to say this much about talent... Having it is not the end all, and having none isn't either. We base so much of what we do on comparrisons, and to think that I would take what I express of my "self" and then look at say Da Vinci and make up reasons for NOT being him... That's plain ridiculous...

Sure I'd like to try and achieve something close, who wouldn't like to be able to create beauty. But I would never let my differences keep me from doing something a) I wanted to achieve, and b) that I love.

I think of this place as somewhere to go for excitement, have been since I joined 2 yrs ago, and there are so many gems about, it's like an easter egg hunt. I just look at my work as not everyone's kind of egg... you should too. Someone will find it if that's what you want... but don't let that be the sole reason for posting, likewise, don't let all this great art go unsiphoned, untranslated...

Feed your heart, feed your eyes, and go put some of that, no go put ALL of that on the canvas or a doodle, what are we really sharing here but our outlook on life? Whether that be how we saw light hitting an apple or our visions of our dreams or even our fears. Do you think anyone in abstract gives a flying patootie what the oil painters are creating? They can appreciate and relate to it, but when they create, it is "their" process and what touches them... That's all you gotta do...

Oh and come back to WC, to share the wealth :D

Bobby

sunny
01-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Dear Kelly,
Your kind words have encouraged my work....you are such a dear....Keep being yourself..it will show thru in your work..No matter where we are as people and artists most of us have the same feelings...

Especially when it comes to our art..it always a part of you that you put out naked..in a sense, to anyone viewing it....one of the greatest things about this site...is you have a community of LIKE minds...and the willingness and the spirit of encouragement is invaluable to me...and I am sure everyone else..

Creating art to me isn't about being better than anyone else...it's striving to be the best that I can be...where that stands with the rest of the world..well frankly I don't give a hoot...the plus's that come with someone connecting to a final piece..and enjoying it..is just that a plus. Did that sound right...

I give a hoot about the process. the learning, the need to push myself farthur than I ever thought I could go...some of my final work I love..some I don't...it doesn't bother me if someone finds every negative thing or every positive thing...I kind of have a distachment after the work is finished...Actually i value more of the negative..because thats where I grow the most.

The world is a mighty big place....my work will be a tiny grain of sand in the whole scheme of things....This moment is all I have...all the growth to this moment...and this moment can be over in a flash...try very hard to put aside those fellings that are pushing you to maybe be a wanna be artist...just start..
play...have fun....we are all here for you...:)