PDA

View Full Version : painting holidays

jackiesimmonds
01-13-2003, 05:53 AM
I am interested in the idea of a painting trip to Mexico, or somewhere equally "exotic", in terms of painting material.

Anyone know of any GOOD painting trips to that part of the world?

crumbedbrains
01-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Geez when you go on a holiday . . you really go on a holiday!!Sorry can't help out here Jackie but why don't you search for a pastel club in Mexico . .they may be able to sort you out . . besides , thought I'd bring this thread back to the top in case it got "lost".
cheers
Crumby

sunny
01-13-2003, 10:32 AM
I can't help you either Jackie...i envision mexico and pastels as a great combo..Exotic colors indeed...Luck in finding something.:)

KarenU
01-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Just looked through my latest copy of the Pastel Journel and only found one workshop in Mexico...unfortunately it starts January 24th! Found lots of painting excursions to New Mexico (Santa Fe, Albuquerque, etc.) If I run across anything specifically for Mexico, I'll certainly let you know.

bnoonan
01-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Jackie,
I'll keep my eyes open for one as well. I've traveled quite a bit to Baja and the islands and to Copper Canyon on the mainland. Hmm... I'll think about this.

Barb

jackiesimmonds
01-13-2003, 12:26 PM
New Mexico? Scuse my ignorance, but could someone tell me about New Mexico? Santa Fe sounds quite exotic......

I do know that Margaret Evans ran a painting holiday to Mexico itself a year or so back, and it sounded most interesting ... fascinating architecture, and folk in ethnic costume etc ...but they might have been exaggerating!

I have seen a painting trip advertised to China, for 2004, but the price is prohibitive, much as I would love to go.

Yes, if I am going to travel, I would like to go to places I haven't seen before, and ideally, those caught in a bit of a time warp. Much as I love Europe, I have been all over, and it is hard to find places which are fairly unspoilt and haven't been "neatened up". I visited India a couple of years ago, and that was wonderful to see, though quite ghastly to paint on the spot, totally impossible in fact. Within minutes you were surrounded by hordes of people and couldn't see a thing. And that is even when you thought you were right out in the countryside and there wasn't a soul for miles! Somehow, they would pop up out of the undergrowth!! I DID paint on the spot, but only inside the palaces - in the streets was out of the question.

Anyway, thanks for trying folks.
Jackie

Lulu
01-13-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
Yes, if I am going to travel, I would like to go to places I haven't seen before,

New Zealand???? Would love to have you here Jackie:)

Birdie
01-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Would love to see you paint the Northwest too...if you haven't been here..New Mexico is Beauiful and Santa Fe would be the place to go there is a P.S. Santa Fe I will look for the link and send it to you. They might have lead on workshop going on there. When were you making your plans for?

Birdie:rolleyes:

Birdie
01-13-2003, 02:11 PM
I couldn't find a link for a "South west pastel society" I thought for sure there was one. Sorry for not being to helpful.

Birdie:rolleyes:

Katherine J
01-13-2003, 09:34 PM
Jackie this is a bizarre coincidence - a friend told me about this place today. You might want to look at this site:

La Paloma Oceanfront Retreat

The people who run this place built the house we live in. We knew they'd moved to Mexico, but that's all. They only lived here a year - couldn't stand the rain! Anyway, I don't know them, except to say that when I first looked at this house I wasn't impressed with the wife's artistic talent. However, maybe I didn't see the best. But the point is, they apparently have visiting artists. I don't think pastel is big, but that doesn't matter. Or maybe you could just go there, rent a 'studio' and travel about doing your own thing. I hear this is a lovely part of Mexico and not spoiled.

Katherine

Shari
01-14-2003, 12:22 AM
Jackie,

I will just put in my 2 cents worth. I have been to Mexico many times and if this is going to be your first trip, I recommend the Yucatan Peninsula on the Caribbean. The water is so blue. There are amazing ruins to see there, like Chitzinitza, Uxmal, Tulum. I would love to paint those ruins, and also Palenque is near there. If you like to snorkel, that is where I have found the best fish and the clearest water. I highly recommend a resort/village called Akumal. You can just rent a bike and bike up and down the road. There is a wonderful lagoon at the end of the road and two bays along the way. Once you get to Mexico, its pretty cheap. The food is great. Just don't drink the water, ask for "agua Mineral". Look up Akumal and the Yucatan peninsula on the web, I am sure you will find some great pics. Hope this inspires you.

Shari

jackiesimmonds
01-14-2003, 04:38 AM
thanks folks, really appreciate the input. I am not too sure about the bike idea tho........ not my scene really! The only bike I have ever ridden was a THREE-WHEELER on the island of Sark, where they have no cars. I am sure I embarrassed my friend, who hired a snazzy mountain bike thingy. But I didn't care!

The reason I asked for "painting holiday" rather than just painting location, is that I travel alone, and it is really nice to be with a group of like-minded people. I tend to do my own thing during the day, unless there is a coach trip to a certain place, but it is good to have company in the evenings. The only place I have travelled to completely alone, and even then only for a few days at a time, which I quite enjoy tho I do get a bit lonely, is Venice. I am off there in February, at carnival time, for three days. Should be really interesting - all those wonderful costumes and masks. I'll post an image from the trip, if I manage to get anything worthwhile out of it.

Jackie

sundiver
01-14-2003, 05:44 AM
Jackie, I sent you a p.m. about your video..please check your messages!
I agree the Yucatan is beautiful. I don't know if I'd want to wander around much alone. A lot of people seem to like Taos (sp?) New Mexico, where there's art classes, and from the results I see you would find it somwhat exotic.
The east coast here is a landscape heaven, fishing villages etc, but that may not be exotic for you! But you could come visit me! :)

sundiver
01-14-2003, 05:44 AM
Jackie, I sent you a p.m. about your video..please check your messages!
I agree the Yucatan is beautiful. I don't know if I'd want to wander around much alone. A lot of people seem to like Taos (sp?) New Mexico, where there's art classes, and from the results I see you would find it somwhat exotic.
The east coast here is a landscape heaven, fishing villages etc, but that may not be exotic for you! But you could come visit me! :)

bnoonan
01-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Now if you want to know about New Mexico.... I can tell you about that too. I took a week long pastel landscape class with Jan Myers at Ghost Ranch. Ghost Ranch is where Georgia O'Keefe lived and is filled with the most fabulous scenery and rock formations. Jan Myers is a pastelist that frequently advertises her SW landscapes in the Pastel Journal. You don't need to take classes from her - in fact Ghost Ranch is a place that rents rooms out for a week or so and you can just dine in their dining hall (ok not great food), and then run out to the hills and paint. It's magnificent in the fall especially. I was there in October and long to be back there each year. When I was there, they had an Austin, Texas watercolor society bring a group there to paint and I hung out with them some of the time. It's inspirational. Ghost Ranch is quite a drive north of Santa Fe - in Abique, but they offer shuttle buses from the Albuquerque airport as I recall.

I may be wrong, but try www.ghostranch.org.

There is also the Scottsdale Artists' School in Arizona which gathers a fine collection of Artists from the West coast. I hear great things about this place as well but haven't attended one YET. In fact I think they also have a web site but I'm unable to locate it in this old workshop class schedule I have. Scottsdale is the artist community adjacent to Phoenix - also stunning weather.

www.scottsdaleartschool.org

Hope this isn't too much information - but if you decide to teach a class there, let us know. Perhaps we all need to participate.

I think these may be more of what you are looking for with groups of travelers to join you.

Barb

Rick R
01-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Jackie,

Look at this link (I don't know anything about this instructer):
http://www.zianet.com/artworks/

I found a couple of other instructors who were giving classes in Mexico that are already over. (This copy of The Pastel Journal is a few months old.)

There's over a dozen different listings for pastel classes in the SouthWest U.S., some of which have multiple instructors.

Pastel Society of the SouthWest is: http://www.pssw.org/ btw.

There is also a Pastel Society of New Mexico, and a Lone Star Pastel Society (Texas) but they don't appear to have web sites.

If you already know Margaret Evans she is having a class in New Mexico in May. http://www.webstersworld.net/

The Pastel Journal has a pretty extensive listing of workshops and tours. (http://www.pasteljournal.com) If you can't get a copy in the UK let me know and I'll mail one to you.

(For all I know you've been IN the Pastel Journal before, so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know!)

- Rick

Redsy333
01-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Funny you should mention Mexico,
That has to do with my Monthly Project due this May! You could just join in the project, It will incorporate Ancient Ruins, and Tropical surroundings.
But I dont think thats youre style either:D Maybe some of the Refrence Pictures and links I post can be of some help in your endeavour.
I personally travelled all of Mexico and found it to be Country Full of Culture and Beauty. Well worth a visit, and your money will find an endless value their. Its a warm, friendly and fun loving country!!:D:D:D

jackiesimmonds
01-16-2003, 03:23 AM
Redsay - ancient ruins is one of the things I LOVE to paint! I don't have a fixed style ... the only thing I do NOT enjoy painting is portraits. Otherwise, I will have a go at most anything, and crumbly ruins is right up my street!

thanks for the advice.
Jackie