PDA

View Full Version : Using magazine pics as explanation

Katherine J
01-12-2003, 10:34 PM
I posted this question in the legal forum and got only one response. If anyone here knows more about this, I'd love to hear from you. I want to post something in this forum for illustration only.

Is it possible to scan photos from a magazine article to use in a forum discussion to illustrate a point, mentioning the magaznine and artist? One photo would be the photo the artist used (I presume it's her photo, although it doesn't credit the photographer) and the other her painting of that scene.

Katherine

KarenU
01-13-2003, 01:04 AM
I've always wondered about that too Katherine and I don't know the answer. I'll do some hunting around as well and see if I can't dig up some info.

Dark_Shades
01-13-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi Katherine..... I was trying to look up copyright laws and believe I read about this....... I believe you can...... will try and find the link... will be back :D

Dark_Shades
01-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Fair use is usually a short excerpt and almost always attributed. (One should not use more of the work than is necessary to make the commentary.) It should not harm the commercial value of the work -- in the sense of people no longer needing to buy it (which is another reason why reproduction of the entire work is a problem.)

Note that most inclusion of text in Usenet followups is for commentary and reply, and it doesn't damage the commercial value of the original posting (if it has any) and as such it is fair use. Fair use isn't an exact doctrine, either. The court decides if the right to comment overrides the copyright on an individual basis in each case.

more info can be found under Copy Right Laws here is one such link

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Katherine J
01-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks for your help, Dark Shades. I think rather than post in the forum I'll just e-mail a couple of people who were discussing this topic with me. (And one of the people was you, Karen, if you're looking!) Then I can attach two pics, one a photo, one a painting, giving credit where credit is due. It's just to demonstrate a point about painting and would certainly not reduce the commercial value of the real painting.

Thanks again for your trouble.

Katherine

KarenU
01-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Yup...I was still looking and yes...I'll be on the lookout for your email. :D