PDA

View Full Version : New paper

sunny
01-12-2003, 06:33 PM
I'm trying the art spectrum paper. This is a sketch from a photo I took at a parade. The little guy is definitly captivated by something..I named him Frederick.

9x12, rembrandts...still working on it.

Mo.
01-12-2003, 06:46 PM
Sunny this is a WOW! Wonderful expression on the little Freddies face, I do so like how you have done the background too. Keep going girl. How do you like the Art Spectrum? I've been considering ordering some.

cheers,

meowmeow
01-12-2003, 07:13 PM
This paper suits you well! Terrific expression...the coloring is grand. Good job!

Sandy

Dark_Shades
01-12-2003, 07:33 PM
lovely one sunny...... diff style..... its really nice :clap:

KarenU
01-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Sunny...what a darling expression on his face! :D I too love the colors that you've chosen so far...can't wait to see this one progress.

Mikki Petersen
01-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Oh Sunny, what a great little guy! I can see how he captivated you. Reminds me of some little scaliwag in a Dickens tale. you are doing a great job of carrying the mood of the piece.

Redsy333
01-13-2003, 09:19 PM
Wow I love his expression and the colors are wonderful!! This is BEAUTIFUL!

Katherine J
01-13-2003, 10:08 PM
This is great, Sunny, and I'm with Mo - the background is marvelous. I love to see how others handle backgrounds as I really struggle with them most times.

I'm a big fan of Art Spectrum paper, and as you may have noticed, my favourite colour is black. What were you using here?

Katherine

sunny
01-14-2003, 09:24 AM
thanks for the comments...

Wow..I'm just loving this paper...I've primarily used Cansons...which I like, but I can really see some great possibilities with this paper...

Katherine the color is Rich beige...i agree, backgrounds can be a challenge.

Redsy, you got me going with your croc...you know I mean your drawing right...:D

Mo, I think with the detail that you like..your going to have to try this paper...

Sandy, Karen, 1mpete, Dawn....I love his expression too..children are wonderful to draw...I get lost in their faces.

Well I'm off to finish him...hopefully post later today..I'm still having trouble getting and staying logged on to WC...Things may be better..opened mail today, finally had mail from WC...45 posts..yikes..got alot of answering to do...:eek:

bnoonan
01-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Sunny,

Love the colors - especially in the background and the wonderful expression you caught on his face. Never tried that paper before but you have got me interested.

Can't wait to see some more.

Barb

Nicolart
01-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Sunny, I enjoy looking at your work so much...Quite beautiful!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nori
01-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Sunny, I love your work as always. I am new to posting but have been observing quite awhile. I am especially struck by the background you have created. Would you be willing to share the colours and the method you used?

Mo.
01-14-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks sunny, I'm off to my local art shop tomorrow, will get some.

Cheers,

chookbrown
01-15-2003, 12:57 PM
Hey Sunny!! Wonderful portrait... Love his expression!! I have been using the Art Spectrum since November and just love it. It comes in such a wide variety of colors too. Not sure if you've seen it but you can just buy the colorfix in a pot to paint on your own surfaces also...

Great work!!

Colleen :D:D:D

sunny
01-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Chook, as an admirer of your portrait work...I really value your comments..thanks
Have you used the pastel primer? I plan on getting some to try.

Nicolart, you are so sweet...I appreciate it...:)

Barb, I admire you portraits too..I want to see how much depth I can get with this paper....It's different...an experiment in progress...let you know if I blow up the kitchen...cause I'm thinking so hard:D

Nori...how nice of you:) the colors in the background are some black, mars violet,madder lake deep, and burnt yellow ochre....I randomly according to my light source sketched them in, then blended everything together with my fingers. i used the same colors in the hair except introduced chrome green deep to blend for my shadows.

The face i used all of the above colors plus, venetian red, terracotta red, raw sienna, pale vermilion, light oxide red, and my trusty leaf green/blue for the shadow areas...

Right now I am blending all the colors softly together, using a brush..and a piece of form core...which seems to be working very nicely on this paper...
Hopefully I'll post tomorrow.

I work on 2 or three things at a time...inbetween i was finishing a monoprint, and printed a linoleum print....thats one of the reasons I'm such a slowpoke on one piece...:rolleyes:

sunny
01-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Federick is finished...any advice welcomed...thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2003/3827-Frederich_f.jpg

Dark_Shades
01-16-2003, 06:16 PM
only words........ luvvley jubbley :D :clap:

KarenU
01-16-2003, 06:36 PM
Sunny....that is just the greatest expression and a wonderful painting! :D

bnoonan
01-16-2003, 06:39 PM
Sunny,

Fantastic work! At first I missed that wonderfully intense red orange background but after awhile I fell in love with the other colors you introduced. The knit of the sweater - superb. I also love the green highlight on the bangs of his hair.

And oh that expression....

Barb:clap: :clap:

sunny
01-17-2003, 07:22 AM
:) thank you Dawn and Karen

Barb..i think my pic of this isn't as good as the first pic...I didn't add anything to the background, hee hee
The original drawing is much deeper in color...still learning about my camera and how to match the monitor to the original...:D appreciate your kind words..

llis
01-17-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by sunny
Federick is finished...any advice welcomed...thanks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2003/3827-Frederich_f.jpg

Amazing work. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us.

Mo.
01-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Sunny it's fantastic, you've painted a little treasure here.
Superb work, those eyes and the expression, the skin tones are wonderful! His jumper, jacket, all so lovely, well it's a real winner.
Great work! :clap: :clap: Can't you tell I love it? ;) :)

Luvy
01-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Just love his expression. I love animated faces So interesting and they get you thinking *S* Another great job *S*

Looks kind of puzzled *S*

Mikki Petersen
01-19-2003, 03:46 AM
The only advice I can think of is keep doing portraits. You are anatural. I love this guy. He just has so much character!

Dark_Shades
01-19-2003, 05:31 AM
forgot to say Sunny...... this reminds me very much of Paul Levielle work ...... (one of the Two Portrait books I have) :D

sunny
01-19-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks Ilis, Mo, Luvy and Mikki for such encouraging words...especially since I don't feel like I'm up to par with the pastels yet...You are going to keep pushing me to do better...:)

Dawn...i don't know who Paul Levielle is...does he do mostly pastel portraits? I'll have to do a search on the internet..thanks for the luvvley jubbley:D

You don't know how many times I scrolled sown to see if I spelled luvvley jubbley right:D i love your expressions:D :D

Dark_Shades
01-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by sunny

Dawn...i don't know who Paul Levielle is...does he do mostly pastel portraits? I'll have to do a search on the internet..thanks for the luvvley jubbley:D

Lol sunny ..... Ohhhh :eek: I thought all you guys would know whose who over there lolol ... erm oops .... spelt he's name wrong..... this is one of he's links ... theres a boy on there reminded me of yours ... DJ is getting very excited as some of her works has been accepted erm to something :D .. and Paul Leveille is one of the Jurors

http://www.paulleveillestudio.com/commision.htm

sunny
01-19-2003, 11:51 AM
Lol sunny ..... Ohhhh :eek: I thought all you guys would know whose who over there lolol ... erm oops ....

Not little ole me...have too much to learn:D
Thanks for the link

chookbrown
01-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Sunny this is just wonderful!! I love the colors in the highlighted hair and ............ ALL OF IT!!!!

Great job girl!!!

Colleen :D:D:D:clap: :clap: :clap:

sunny
01-19-2003, 05:14 PM
thank you kindly Chook:)