PDA

View Full Version : Rocks and Watch WIP

crumbedbrains
01-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Hey all,

After struggling with composition for some time I've decided that I will do a fairly long narrow piece using a theme similar to the ones I posted. However, I've got to do a piece for a February exhibition in which there are strict size limitations . .so gonna do this smaller one for now . .the rocks and the watch which seemed to be a popular composition anyway.

First here the ref pic to jog your memory:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2003/10882-DCP_0740_WC.jpg

wanted to start top right and work my way to the watch as that will be the most detailed and I don't want dust flailing everywhere at that stage.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0747_Modified_2.jpg

Here's a close up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0749_Modified.jpg

Kept working along in this fashion . .this one shows how I was doing the rocks with a soft underpainting followed by some very painterly blotches . .actually turned out easier than I thought . .and then was fairly quick
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0755_Modified.jpg

And this is where I got to
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0764_Modified2.jpg

. . and the close up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0765_Modified.jpg

It's going to slow down now as the weekend is over but I will post further WIP's as I progress.

Hope you all like the way the plagioclase crystals take on the green tinge next to the ferromagnesiums such as hornblende and the pyroxenes. I found it difficult to put the cleavage planes on the potassium feldspar but don't ya just love the small interstitial magetite grains!! ROFLMAO . .sorry . . just had to do that!! . . . I've studied and seen a few rocks in my time but found them quite difficut to draw until I got my eye in!!! . . still quite a bit of work to do on the reflected lights and shadows but will massage them later when I get more of the painting down so the relative values are correct

Cheers
Crumby

jackiesimmonds
01-12-2003, 10:18 AM
Hey Crumby ... what happened ... swallowed a dictionary?
Most amused.

Gorgeous-looking STONES, coming along nicely.
Jackie

meowmeow
01-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Wonderful start! I am very impressed....both with your painting of the rocks and your OVERWHELMING knowledge....didn't have a clue what you were talking about! :D
REally nice...I am going to watch this one....

Sandy

KarenU
01-12-2003, 12:13 PM
Crumby.....absolutely....gorgeous looking stones! I don't think I've ever seen you work on anything but black paper and I was amazed when I opened the thread :D I'm really looking forward to watching this one progress....thanks for the WIP shots!

Mo.
01-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by crumbedbrains
Hey all,

Hope you all like the way the plagioclase crystals take on the green tinge next to the ferromagnesiums such as hornblende and the pyroxenes. I found it difficult to put the cleavage planes on the potassium feldspar but don't ya just love the small interstitial magetite grains!! ROFLMAO . .sorry . . just had to do that!! . . . I've studied and seen a few rocks in my time but found them quite difficut to draw until I got my eye in!!! . . still quite a bit of work to do on the reflected lights and shadows but will massage them later when I get more of the painting down so the relative values are correct

Cheers
Crumby

Well Crumby the green tinge on the plagioclase crystals is superb, As for your cleavage planes and the small interstitial magetite grains, well I think it's magnificent, :D

This is really taking shape, those textures...superb mate.

Good going.
cheers,

Slowdown
01-12-2003, 01:49 PM
THis is gonna be a pastel painting right?????
Havnt got a clue as to what you are yappin about but whatever it is it sounds complicated.....lol
BUt in all seriousness, its commin along great mate, great to see some new work commin from you too, cant wait to see this little beauty finnished.

chookbrown
01-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Looking good Crumbed One..... ya got bloody verbal diarrhea mate??? Ah well guess it helps that you're a rock doctor....LOL

Keep it coming!! and I PMd you back on the wood stuff...

Chook. :D:D:D

Dark_Shades
01-12-2003, 03:17 PM
......The Watch :D .... great stuff .... you just amaze me Crumby.......... what pastels and size is this?

..... enjoying what I am seeing already.... look forward to more

sunny
01-12-2003, 05:37 PM
It's a shame the weekends go so fast....:crying:

Watching with my green tinged crystal eye....Mighty fine Crumby.

Drumbeat-trish
01-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Geeeez mate-they are ROCKS!!!!!-what a show-off!!!! ;)
Looking awesome as always :)

Mikki Petersen
01-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Well...I have a pretty good idea what a crystal looks like and I can recognize granite, but I don't know from a plasto whatsis or any of that.

I do know a bit about pastel painting and I'm loving what you are doing here. Those rocks are really popping off the page. Can't wait to see more. Also I love the still life set-up. I think it was an excellent choice of the one's you posted.

Luvy
01-12-2003, 10:59 PM
WHAT HE SAY? LOL HEE HEE:D

Awesome work here. Can't wait to see it finished What ever it is LOL

Redsy333
01-13-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Well...I have a pretty good idea what a crystal looks like and I can recognize granite, but I don't know from a plasto whatsis or any of that.

Yep same here 1mp!
After that last progress pic...I read...."BLAH BLAH BLAH, BLAH....and blahhhh blahblahblahblah..!"
and then, English appeared after ROTFLMAO:D

Great work SirCrumby, its a good thing youre so damn Cute, cause your Scientific side kills me!!!;)LOL
:D:D:D

Lulu
01-13-2003, 02:55 AM
fabulous work! of course I knew what you wuz talkin' about ............. NOT! LOL

crumbedbrains
01-13-2003, 09:25 AM
Thanks for looking all,
Geeeez those nice comments really do help keep the interest up . . .thanks again . . . struggling with the wood grain at the moment (should've chosen an easy pine rather than this silky oak!!) . .where's the wood gran expert when you need her (Chook!!! where are you????)
Cheers
Crumby

PS will post an updated photo tomorrrow hopefully :D

chookbrown
01-13-2003, 09:41 AM
. . . struggling with the wood grain at the moment (should've chosen an easy pine rather than this silky oak!!) . .where's the wood gran expert when you need her (Chook!!! where are you????)
Cheers
Crumby

We both know you would not be as happy with easy pine instead of silky oak.. so stop whining and get on with it.....LOL.. don't ya just love the support!!! I sent you a message about the grain etc.. be the wood Crumby.....LOL...

Chook :D

Drumbeat-trish
01-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by chookbrown

be the wood Crumby.....LOL...

Chook :D

Yeah-that shouldn't be too hard for ya Crumby ;)

crumbedbrains
01-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Gee it's great to be amongst such a loving, caring & supportive group!! LOL . .why do I come here??? . .please remind me!! LOL

*shutting up and being woody*

Crumby

chookbrown
01-13-2003, 05:04 PM
LOL Trish....

ROFLMAO.. Crumb

Sorry mate but sometimes ya just need a little shove to get ya going!!!

Chooky :D:D

Charles Perera
01-13-2003, 05:15 PM
waiting for your update. It is really going well.. I admire your patience.

Charles

Redsy333
01-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Gee it's great to be amongst such a loving, caring & supportive group!! LOL . .why do I come here??? . .please remind me!! LOL

*shutting up and being woody*

Crumby

Mkay....here in OHio......when someone says "Being Woody!"
It has a WHOLE DIFFERENT meaning!!!! And now I will leave cause I am LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AND in TEARS!!!!!!!:D

crumbedbrains
01-13-2003, 07:43 PM
REDSY!!!! . .This is a family site!!!! ROFLMAO
Yeah . .has the same meaning here too . . 'cept my mind wasn't in the gutter when I wrote that!!! still ROFLMAO
Think Chook set me up!
Cheers
Woody . .er . . Crumby

KarenU
01-13-2003, 08:25 PM
hehehe.....speaking of wood....I thought for sure that was bird's eye maple. So then I had to go out and read all about Australian silky oak! :rolleyes:

chookbrown
01-13-2003, 08:57 PM
.has the same meaning here too . . 'cept my mind wasn't in the gutter when I wrote that!!! still ROFLMAO
Think Chook set me up!
Cheers
Woody . .er . . Crumby

WHO ME???? Must be one of those cane toader expressions....LOL

crumbedbrains
01-15-2003, 02:41 AM
Hi all,
Well I haven't had much chance to progress this but because I'm so slow I haven't got anything else to post!! So I Thought I'd post what little I've done.

The painting is in that awful "ugly stage" at the moment but I'm getting used to the fact that all paintings go through this! LOL
After blending in a background underpainting I started working on the grain . . .starting from top down again . . . when I got so close to the right hand rock I couldn't help myself and treated myself to doing a few links of a chain!! . . I need a bit of an uplift some times and doing little things like this keep the interest up.

Anyway . .it IS progressing albeit VERY slowly
Cheers
Crumby

crumbedbrains
01-15-2003, 02:43 AM
. . . and then the close up . . still a lot of work to do . .and the links have no shdows etc yet so they look a bit "stuck on" but it'll come! LOL
Cheers
Crumby

Lulu
01-15-2003, 04:05 AM
Already looking fantastic Crumby - just love those chain links too:)

sunny
01-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Slow but sure....it's interesting how you work your way thru each element.
I have to introduce color in all of the areas as I work, even the still life oils,..It would drive me crazy to have that watch sitting there with no color on it!!

Your doing a masterful job, Crumby. Appreciate you sharing it with us.:)

chookbrown
01-15-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey there!! tis coming along nicely... yep wood backgrounds can get real boring but the reward comes at the end as you know... I also often have to work on another part to keep my interest up...as you have seen how many of my still lifes have lots of wood. Your wood is coming to life with every addition...

Looking good. :D:D:D

Chook

Dark_Shades
01-15-2003, 08:30 AM
I am LLL

Looking, Listening and learning..... thanks for sharing :)

KarenU
01-15-2003, 10:08 AM
That wood is looking fabulous! :D

rd2ruin
01-15-2003, 01:16 PM
One of my problems is that I lose patience with repitition in a drawing. How do you keep the consisitency (and state of mind) stable while doing the rocks and wood?

Also, when you said it was a smaller size, what size are we talking about?

This painting is turning out awesome!

Mo.
01-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Wood grain is starting to look fabulously like wood grain, keep going Crumby, this is going to be fantastic!
Cheers,

meowmeow
01-15-2003, 04:03 PM
I have not been here for a bit...this is looking wonderful! I am really impressed.

Sandy

olika
01-15-2003, 04:21 PM
This is coming along great :) Thought I would put my two cents (oh yeah - you people don't have cents down there anymore) ok then my 20 cents worth in here and help to give you the needed boot in the pants to motivate you :) And I would definitely stay away from the "woody" references as Redsy suggests :D :D

Taminka
01-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Crumby -
It's fascinating to see your pics emerging - the woodgrain's great, and the rocks. Watching with great admiration :D

Minky

Mikki Petersen
01-15-2003, 05:46 PM
You've definitely got believable wood grain going there, Crumby. I'm fascinated by artists who work like you do, one little piece at a time. I cannot get my colors balanced unless I work all over, all at once. Maybe that's why I don't get the striking detail you accomplish...

DragonladyfromOz
01-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Boy oh boy do I get a good giggle out of reading some of these threads:D
Now to the WIP - I didn't understand a word about the 'rocks' explanation ... 'cept the word 'rock'! Seems like I'm not the only one so I am quite prepared to admit it now :p
BUT - the silky oak - recognised that straight off! [Yeah right...]
I love the textures you have created here, they are fantastic and the colour combo is really lovely - and dare I say it - warmly inviting.
I can see why you get wonderful reviews for your work [ and lots of $000's :D ] as it is just beautiful. Me love it!

jackiesimmonds
01-20-2003, 12:23 PM
You must be one of the most patient artists in the world. No way could I even BEGIN to tackle something in such a slow and painstaking way. No wonder you were so impressed with Andrew Hemingway - you two must have a lot in common. Just thinking about painting in such great detail makes my throat start to constrict with a panic attack .l.. I would end up chucking my easel and all my pastels out of the window in a fit of frenzy.

All I can say is ..........phew. I watch, in awe. (sorry, wasn't meant to be a pun........)

Jackie

Katherine J
01-20-2003, 01:00 PM
Terrific WIP, Crumby. You're doing a masterful job. I'm with Jackie, though, I'm SOOOO impatient I could never do such painstaking work. Thank goodness there are people like you to treat our eyes with this well-executed realist technique.

Katherine

crumbedbrains
01-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Thanks all very much for taking the time to look and post and for the supportive comments. I haven't been around much lately . . my life seems to be taking over!!! LOL My new job is currently taking over as I've arrived at Strategic planning and budgeting time . .Ack!!! . .and I seem to be spending my weekends either at the beach, playing with the kids, gardening etc etc . .you al know the drill

Anyway, I'm glad the Aussies (thanks Dragonlady) can recognise the silky oak . . .beautiful timber . .and I got a housefull!! LOL

Rd2ruin, this is a smaller piece than usual . .it's about (and i'm only guessing here coz I haven't measured it) mmm . . say, 25cm 40cm (multiply each by 2.54 to get to inches). It's on Canson paper . . .which I don't think is one of the best papers around . . but it was a spare sheet there staring at me LOL!!

Jackie, yep I think Andrew and I might have something in common in that I really enjoy the ups, downs, torments and tribulations and then (hopefully) final success of a painting . . . it's what makes a painting worthwhile for me . . . don't think I'd get the same "ride" if i did a painting in one afternoon.

OK here's the latest update (Sorry Sunny . .no colour on the watch yet!! LOL . . but hang in there!) . . . my wife has been staring at those rocks and has been making further improvement suggestions . . .you prolly can't see the difference but I (and more importantly, SHE) can!! LOL She has a great eye for detail and is nearly as strong a critique of my work as I am . . but she is ALWAYS right . . . mmmm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2003/10882-WCDCP_0773.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2003/10882-WCDCP_0775.jpg

here's a close up

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2003/10882-WCDCP_0776.jpg

Sorry this is taking so long . . . . time is a premium nowadays . . but I will finish this!! I PROMISE!! LOL
Cheers and thanks again
Crumby

chookbrown
01-25-2003, 07:27 PM
Looking good crumb... the wood is coming along nicely.. (no I really just mean the wood surface here).... ;)

Love the chain links etc. Sometimes you just have to take it slow and watch it evolve... you are doing it your own way... stick with it.

Chooky :D:D:Dhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2003/9218-yahoochick.gif

Dark_Shades
01-25-2003, 07:28 PM

(Sorry Sunny . .no colour on the watch yet!! LOL . . but hang in there!) . . .

Damn!! .... thats what Ive been waiting for too :crying:

... great stuff Crumby :clap:

Mo.
01-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Yay Crumby Life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes, looking fantastic and those pebble/rocks, you've altered the colours? or is that just the scan? It's looking terrific, I so admire your skill and patience.

Ummm don't quite know how to put this but your maths skills are a bit backwards. :D
Rd2ruin, this is a smaller piece than usual . .it's about (and i'm only guessing here coz I haven't measured it) mmm . . say, 25cm 40cm (multiply each by 2.54 to get to inches). It's on Canson paper . . .which I don't think is one of the best papers around . . but it was a spare sheet there staring at me LOL!!

Don't you have to divide by 2.54 not multiply?
rolleyes: :D :D

cheers,;)

Redsy333
01-25-2003, 08:30 PM
WOW!! This is great...WELL DONE CRUMBYand wifey Hehehe!!
Bout time you get busy Mister!!!:D:D

Mikki Petersen
01-26-2003, 04:20 AM
This is so exquisite. I love watching the work in progress. Like opening a gift each time you post a new step. That wood grain is very good even if I've never heard of the type. The links on the chain are really coming out well, too.

We'll wait for you to have time. It's worth waiting for. Work and family have to be priorities...just wait until you are old and retired like me...you still won't have enough time for all the things you need to do and want to do!

online art
01-26-2003, 12:33 PM
Well Tom, another masterpiece in the making.

I've been watching this take shape for a while now, so i thought that I'd better drop by and say Hi.

:D

bnoonan
01-26-2003, 02:10 PM
He does seem to have a talent - doesn't he?

Fabulous work and I too drop in for my frequent WIP check.

You have much more patience and yet it does pay off.

Keep them coming and don't forget to pay attention to those kids. They are what keep our lives so wonderful!!! Oh - and if you haven't heard, the US is freezing over while you are at the beautiful beaches with your children. Savor every moment for us.

Barb

crumbedbrains
01-27-2003, 01:51 AM
Hi all,
Thanks again for looking and the kind comments . . long ride this one eh? LOL

Mo you are quite correct .. . must have had a brain explosion at the time.

Chook . .keep yer mind outta da gutta!!!

Bnoonan . .yep gonna go play badminton in the yard in about 5 mins!!

OK another 4 hours on this today and before it gets too dark to photograph thought I'd post what I got . . . did more wood on lower right . .finished the main white rock complete with it's shadow and did some more at both ends of the chain. Dark & Sunny . .gettin' closer to that watch!! . . this is all a cunning plan to drive ya nuts!! LOL
Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2003/10882-WCDCP_0780.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2003/10882-WCDCP_0781.jpg

Dark_Shades
01-27-2003, 02:37 AM

Dark & Sunny . .gettin' closer to that watch!! . . this is all a cunning plan to drive ya nuts!! LOL
Cheers
Crumby

Grr its working lolol http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jan-2003/12116-15.gif Iz Watching and a waiting :D

Redsy333
01-27-2003, 05:00 AM
Looking Amazing as Usual:D:D
This is realllllllly coming right along, still in amazement of just how detailed your work is!!;) Kudos Sir Crumbmister:D

I didnt realize you THOUGHT you had to DEVISE a plan to make people CRAZYYYYYYY!!!! LMAOOOOO

sunny
01-27-2003, 06:05 AM
Yeah Crumby...so much suspense....worth every second..as far as the road to Nutty Kingdom..I'm sure I know the way..had a few kind people drive me there...:D ;) know the way all by myself now...

Your long ride thru this piece is breathtaking...how are you enjoying it? Since it is your first trip into still life...I love the folds in the chain...that's an exciting challenge....:)

crumbedbrains
01-28-2003, 10:27 AM
OK . . here's the damned watch!! LOL
This is about another 3 hours work . . . . The face presented a few problems as I needed to do a thin underpainting over which I was to put in the numbers on the watch face. Since the underpainting was going to cover up my form lines I had to make extra marks outside the watch area which I could later use to draw lines pointing to the centre in order to get it down. The entire face was done with a cotton bud with the outline of the elipse of the inner stop watch being the paper showing through. A small highlight to catch the upper edge of this inner stop watch is shown . .dunno if you can see that.

The watch numbers are actually Roman Numerals . . I knew I only had one shot at them coz I didn't want to be playin' in thick pastel to get these down. I filed down a pastel to a FLAT end so I cold use an edge and then whammo . . I was over the moon that I got it first time!! . . phew . . bit nervy doing that bit!! LOL . . the length of the numbers was guessed as the base of the numbers themselves also form an elipse . .that clear?? s'pose not.

The rest of the watch was then pretty easy using the same colours I've been using for the chain.

Have yet to put the crack in the glass but hopefully that'll go as smoothly as the rest of the face.

On the home stretch now!!

Sorry about the photo . .it's late and so I did it "hand held" under a tungsten lamp!

It's now 1:30am . .I'm off to bed!!

Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2003/10882-DCP_0787wc.jpg

KarenU
01-28-2003, 10:35 AM
Wow...amazingly intricate work! You must have the steadiest hands on the planet :D This looks fabulous!

chookbrown
01-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Just wonderful Crumby.... tick, tick, tick... :D

Chooky:clap:

Redsy333
01-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Wellllllllll I guess its Okay...hmmmmmmm ??

LMAO Just kiddinggggggggg!!! :D:D:D
Okay so you got that far...why did you stop??????huh huh wellllll???????????? ;) Comeon Sir Crumby lets see ya get this thing finished like yesterday!!! :D:D:D:clap:

bnoonan
01-28-2003, 12:36 PM
I continue to be in awe! You must never drink caffeine products if you can do work like that.

Magnificent. Keep us posted.

Barb

Dark_Shades
01-28-2003, 01:14 PM
'bout time too :D ...... he says heres the watch and then goes on for two pages :)

..... great works Crumby..... knew it would be :clap:

Mikki Petersen
01-28-2003, 07:19 PM
This has been an amazing journey to follow. The watch, like the rest of the painting is excellent. You spend more time on one tiny element in a painting than many of us spend on a whole painting. And it shows!

Charles Perera
01-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Crumby,

This is wonderful. It is a symphony in many scales... I would like to go on watching it ..as it keeps growing.. tendered by a gentle hand.. with so many spectators ....spellbound.....in a halowed silence..shhh

go on ......please..go on .......

Thankyou, so much.
Charles

ainsy
01-29-2003, 02:55 AM
Top stuff crumb.
nice to see you tackling different subjects. Looking very, very nice so far. That watch sure does look like it is fun to do. Have you enjoyed doing this still life and how does it compare to your pastel wildlife? Is it something you are gonna do more of?

AINSY
:D :D

gredelin
01-29-2003, 09:02 AM
the length of the numbers was guessed as the base of the numbers themselves also form an elipse
Why, obviously :D
Do you mean you just winged it? And got it right the first time?
Haven't commented before, but this whole thread is just fascinating.
/Gunilla

crumbedbrains
01-30-2003, 03:20 AM
Hi Everyone!
Thanks for looking and the wonderful comments . .the support here really helps "the ride" and keeps the enthusiasm up . . really

Chook . .tick tick tick? am I on some sort of deadline here?? ;) LOL

Barb, hardly any coffee at all!! . .yeah right! LOL

Charles . .thanks for that . .Redsy WAS being a bit noisy wasn't she? LOL

AAAAAAIIIINNSSSYYY!!!!!!! . . long time no see! thanks for dropping by ;) . .yeah seems like everyone likes these more than the wildlife stuff . . . must admit I like doing the different textures . .never done wood, rock, metal or glass before!! . .just fur 'n' feathers till now!

Gunilla . .yeah, gotta flook somethin' sometime! LOL

OK since Chook has me on a deadline, been doin' some more although it's not that noticeable . . but gotta post what I got!

Have done the rest of the chain, the shadow under the watch and made some subtle changes to the egg-rock (Thanks for that term Redsy!).

and then to the cruncher . . . the crack in the glass . . . I was so pleased with the clock face that this was scary coz I didn't want to ruin the work to date. It was very painful putting down that thick dark line right across the watch face but I just closed my eyes (*figuratively speaking!!*) and went for it!! LOL The little cracks go right to the edge and curl with the curvature of the glass . .so it helped give the glass a 3D look. Then I stared at it for ages and realised that those tiny little cracks actually cast shadows onto the watch face . so closed eyes again and put dirty smudge marks across the watch face to simulate them . . . neurotic eh? LOL

The crack isn't the most interesting one around but this was my Great Grandfathers watch so I'm not going to change it for artistic purposes . .this actually means something to me coz it's the only thing of his we have left.

Anyway . .time is a tickin' away . .oh BTW . .please some suggestions for a title . .family suggestions are just getting plain silly now . .like . .er . . ."Rock around the Clock" . . and . .er . ."Watch out for falling Rocks" Oh PUULLEASE . .save me!!!

Oh the close up has a Schminke pastel for a scale . .well . .might as well use my one and only Schminke for somethin'!! LOL

Catchya!
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0793.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0796.jpg

Drumbeat-trish
01-30-2003, 05:34 AM
perfect -as always

Charles Perera
01-30-2003, 06:14 AM
This is going to astonish Hemingway. Hope you have e-mailed him the image. Would like to know what his comments would be.

As for me; a cordial tap on your back .... and Felicitations for a superb job..........

Charles

Redsy333
01-30-2003, 06:16 AM
Noisy?????? Moi' Noisy??????
Humphhhh....Brat!:p

Nice Rock-egg btw...but that watch is superb!

Redsy333
01-30-2003, 06:30 AM
Titles>
Elements of Time
Memories of Time
Memories
In Time
Time Keepers

Everyone stated that you needed all the elements of your pic to tie together. Well they do in a way, each of the represented items are records of time. Rocks and wood both tell us time by their Striations and substance. The watch is a given;)
So you have represented a picture of time keepers! Thus my suggestions!

Dark_Shades
01-30-2003, 08:32 AM
Im amazed how big this piece is in comparison to the size I work in.... the watch face would take up perhaps half my page :D

.... great stuff crumby

gredelin
01-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Rock around the Clock

That's actually very appropriate... made me giggle...

But I guess you need something more serious. I like Dawns suggestions, esp. "Time Keepers". Or, maybe something along the lines of time pieces, pieces of time...?

But I really think you should call it "Plagioclase Crystals, Ferromagnesiums (such as Hornblende), Pyroxenes, Potassium Feldspar, and Small Interstitial Magetite Grains, with Watch, on Australian Silky Oak"

/Gunilla

Bkargraves
01-30-2003, 09:45 AM
I love whimsy and nostalgia in a composition and this one deffinately has both. Loving those rocks, you know those whosy whatsits and thinga-ma-jigs.

chookbrown
01-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by gredelin

But I really think you should call it "Plagioclase Crystals, Ferromagnesiums (such as Hornblende), Pyroxenes, Potassium Feldspar, and Small Interstitial Magetite Grains, with Watch, on Australian Silky Oak"

/Gunilla

Yeah what she said.....LOL.. has a ring to it.....LOL You deserve that one...!!!! :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jan-2003/9218-yahoochick.gif

Slowdown
01-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Awsome work here crumby, just great mate!!!!!

Mikki Petersen
01-30-2003, 05:17 PM
crack in glass is perfect. I too sort of like "rock around the clock". It adds a chuckle to a very serious piece of work.

Mo.
01-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Crumby, I'm gobsmacked by your intricate delicate work, please tell me do you stare at your painting as much as you work on it? I find myself doing this when puzzling out how to achieve a certain effect without pain or strain. Mmmmm reminds me of an old saying, tell you another time. :)

As to a title for your work, ' Rock around the Clock' is very witty and good I feel, but as it's your only treasure from your grandfather you maybe want a more sombre title, so how about

One Moment in Time.
A Precious Time.
The Essence of Time
Time That Was
A Time to Remember.

Drumbeat-trish
01-31-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Redsy333
Titles>
Elements of Time
Memories of Time
Memories
In Time
Time Keepers

Everyone stated that you needed all the elements of your pic to tie together. Well they do in a way, each of the represented items are records of time. Rocks and wood both tell us time by their Striations and substance. The watch is a given;)
So you have represented a picture of time keepers! Thus my suggestions!

Agreed Redsy -or what about ' Forever? "

moo67
01-31-2003, 05:01 AM
Hi Crumby,
been watching this piece of yours and i have to say it is just beautiful,you are really capturing all the elements involved.Title wise the word "Presence",comes to mind.Or you could always go with "Stone the Crows......Look at the Time".Im sure that whatever name you choose it will do your work justice and vice versa.
Moo:clap: :clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
01-31-2003, 05:11 AM
Hey all,
Thanks for the kind words.

Charles . .that's a good idea . . I haven't contacted him since I received his book and catalogue . .he was quite happy to provide a helping hand back then so I'll test the water . . particularly since this is a genre he will be more familiar with . . .it'd be great to become an understudy!! LOL . .he has four students in various corners of the world . .maybe I should put the hard word on him to become No.5!! LOL . .dreamin' here :)

Dark . . this is probably my second smallest painting . .actually I got a shock when I posted that pic with the pastel for scale . .it looked large to me too!! LOL

Mo . .DEFINATELY . . .spend more time standing back staring than I do painting!! . . .I stand when I paint . .I never sit . .this alows me to constantly review work at a distance . . sometimes feeld like every two or three strokes . . .I'm neurotic!!

Now Redsy, Trish, Gunilla & Mo . . . seems we're torn between the ridiculous and the sombre . . mmmm . . have to think more on that one . .but thanks all for the suggestions . .food for thought . I'm hopeless at this!!

OK pretty much finished now but there are areas that still require tweaking but no use in posting any further images after this as they won't be noticeable. . . . mmmmm . . however there may be one small surprise on the way if anyone looks very closely at the attached ;)

Thanks all for the support . . *looks at blank easel . .sigh . .now what??? . .WHAAAAAAAHHH!!!!*

Cumby:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0799.jpg

this may be a better close-up . .mm . .maybe not LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0800.jpg

crumbedbrains
01-31-2003, 05:12 AM
Thanks Moo . .we were posting at the same time!

sunny
01-31-2003, 05:29 AM
Execellent.
Proud of you Crumby...:)

Redsy333
01-31-2003, 06:03 AM
Veryyyyyyy Well done!! You did the reflections great....another winner as always!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Fractures of Time!:D

ps. Is your watching missing the Hands of time???
:evil: :evil: :evil:

llis
01-31-2003, 06:46 AM
Awesome work! Thanks so much for the progress images. :)

MarshaSavage
01-31-2003, 07:13 AM
Crumby,

Thanks for the WIP. I have enjoyed the journey -- awesome painting. Such patience!! I like the little cracks you see in the rock on the underneath side (in the close-up). And that watch!

I especially like that this piece has some sentimental value for you and you have stayed true to the feel. Whatever name you come up with will be just right!

Can't wait for the next painting!

crumbedbrains
01-31-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks for looking guys!

Redsy . . oooh fractures of time??? ...mmm . .and YES the watch has no hands . .but again for sentimental reasons I want to be true to the piece so . . . oh . .there's another of the family's suggestions . . ."Look Ma! . .No Hands!!" . . .get me outta here!! LOL

Now Marsha . .I wished you hadn't mentioned those cracks . .redsy already thinks it looks like an egg . .and now it looks like it's hatching!! LOL

mmmmmm . . . . no-one has noticed it yet ;) . . well I guess no surprise post . .*sigh*

Crumby

Redsy333
01-31-2003, 07:41 AM
LOL I notice alotttttttt of things......;)

Just told to mind my manners...lol so everytime I post im in restraints , didnt you know that???? lol
hmmmm surprise posts...eh? lol

btw...whats that egg going to hatch...a ......Rock...or ummmmmmm a CHICKEN:p??????!!!!!! LOL

flowerfields
01-31-2003, 07:57 AM
GEEESH!!! WHERE HAVE I BEEN???????
Missed this post Crumby, till now.....ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!!...(where is that drop jaw icon??)
I can't BELIEVE the detail you get??!! From the glass, to the chain links, to the wood, to the colours in the rocks....I'm speechless!
P.s saw some green frog pics in a gift shop the other day....and immediately thought of you....Yours are MUCH better! Hurry up and get those prints done!:)

Great stuff!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mia

chookbrown
01-31-2003, 08:27 AM
Hey Crumby,

Nice job.... AND ON TIME!!!!! (no pun intended)!!! Very well done. As you know I love to do wood surfaces and there is one element missing... reflection... I know from looking at your ref pic there really wasn't any... in the NEXT one you will have to set it up as to get some.... just my opinion as you know but that is what can make wooden furniture surfaces appear more believable. I do love how you put some interesting patterns into the grain of the wood.... very indicative of silky oak indeed.

The only name I keep coming up with is "FRAGMENTS OF TIME"

Ok, you can go party now... :D:D:D

Great work, http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2003/9218-yahoochick.gif:clap: :clap:

meowmeow
01-31-2003, 08:36 AM
Wow! Just dropping by for a minute (been sick)...and I had to tell you how wonderful this looks. I am really impressed!

Sandy

DragonladyfromOz
01-31-2003, 09:17 AM
mmmmmm . . . . no-one has noticed it yet . . well I guess no surprise post . .*sigh*
Crumby

Okay Crumby ... I have followed this post RELIGIOUSLY ... and still can't see what it is that I haven't noticed, nor has anyone else!?!. Ya gotta put me outta my misery and tell!
I even showed it to my Mum today ['Ohhh, why don't you do work like that, it's lovely...'...thanks Mum!] and she couldn't pick up anything either. So what is it...pleaaasseee?

Love the subtle colouring and detail, it really is gorgeous.

Cheers
Manda :clap:

Lulu
01-31-2003, 01:19 PM
FABULOUS work!!!

If no one has mentioned it before (haven't read ALL the posts) perhaps Moment in Time?

......... keep looking for the element of surprise ............
c'mon, spill the beans please!:D

Brooke
01-31-2003, 04:23 PM
Just great, Crumby. I'll admit I haven't read everything, so I might have missed what I want to know; what type of pastels are you using? Pencils for the chain? Inquiring minds want to know!

KarenU
01-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Excellent Crumby!! That watch face, with it's cracks, it just amazing.

Mo.
01-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Yay Crumby!! Nothing short of brilliance, and well worth all the nail biting and ticking of clocks!! Kudos mate! Amazing talent and work.
Cheers,
Mo.

crumbedbrains
02-01-2003, 10:20 PM
Thanks all for looking and the kind comments! :)

Brooke . .Faber Castells mainly . .no pencils

OK I can't help but tinker!! LOL
Been getting some great advice from the "Queen of Wood" . .Chooky (if ya don't believe me, check out her work). Reflections!! . .how did I miss that . . . they weren't in my ref pic so I just forgot about them I guess. The piece of furniture I used has been lacquered in a matt finish so maybe that was the problem . . .must spend more time in my photo sessions for future still lives.

Anyway, here it is WITH reflections, darker background and more golden shimmers in the lower left of the wood . . .

It's signed, it's done . .Thanks Chook . . end of thread!! :D :D

mmmmm . . I think you're right Redsy . . but no-one has noticed *watches everyone flip back to Redsy's post to pick up clue* . . .he he

Cheers
Crumby

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2003/10882-WC_DCP_0806.jpg

Redsy333
02-01-2003, 10:27 PM
hmmmmmmm Darken wood grain....hmmmm boy why didnt I think of that......lmao!!
LOOKS HEAPS better....I think the RED ya added to that Y...YellarSilkySoothysofty Aussie wood ......lmao looks much nicer;)

End of thread eh? hehe AS IF!!!

BWOKKKK!
Redsy the quiet Muse:D Hahaha
*cracked* myself up writing "QUIET" ....HEHE

crumbedbrains
02-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Sorry Redsy . .yeah you mentioned darkening the wood too . . along with the term egg-rock!! . .guess I was put off!! LOL
Thanks for all your help
Crumby

Redsy333
02-01-2003, 10:46 PM
OHHHHHHHHH Sir Crumby you know Im a Yoodling Yank that you cant make heads or tails of my lingo half the time!! But I KNOW you know that I jest in good fun, and ADMIRE you and your work always!!! :D
Cheers Mate:D

BTW...:evil: told ya it wasnt the end of the thread....hehe!

Mikki Petersen
02-01-2003, 11:00 PM
I thought it was finished int he last post and thought it was supurb then. Now...I'm out of adjectives...you sure are one talented guy!

KarenU
02-02-2003, 02:13 PM
A spectacular finish! It looks marvelous! :D

guilliame
02-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Hey Crumby,iv'e been watching this evolve with amazement the detail of the wood grain ,the chain links etc etc is just wonderful for someone as impatient as me i admire your patience,brill finish:clap: :clap:

crumbedbrains
02-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi all,
Thanks again for the nice comments.
Mystery surprise in another thread

Yeah new you were joking Redsy . .have you ever been anything but??

Now guys, this post makes 99 replies to this thread . .c'mon some-one . .ONE MORE!!! . .who's it gonna be??? Never made the big 100 before!! LOL
Cheers
Crumby

Dark_Shades
02-02-2003, 03:42 PM
that do ya ..... geee anything to make U happy lol

Allan Jameson
02-02-2003, 04:34 PM
And I will make it 101.....excellent crumby....the Silky Oak is just beautiful.