PDA

View Full Version : Moonshine Jugs...Finished at last

ZB3
01-12-2003, 06:26 AM
Hi, everyone:

I couldn't edit the title of the other post to read "Finished," so I started a new thread to post the final version of this piece. :) I hope that's okay...

Anyway, the Moonshine Jugs from the reference gallery are done at last! :D

I've learned a lot about Polychromos pencils while doing this piece.

1) I have to lay down the dominant color first and then tone it with other colors.

2) If I lay down more than 3 - 4 colors, the colors start looking muddy.

3) Use a light touch on the first layer, because these pencils are heavily pigmented.

4) It's better (for me) to work from dark to light with these pencils.

Thank you all for the encouragement! :)

Jan

marilyn h
01-12-2003, 09:55 AM
This glows! You have used your pencils well. I am very impressed. Just beautiful!

ironhorse
01-12-2003, 11:03 AM
Wow reverie that turned out fantastic! So soft and moody looking. Love the colours!
Twyla

raye51
01-12-2003, 11:20 AM
u did a beautiful job, I just love this...
Raye

ZB3
01-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi, everyone:

Thank you, Marilyn. That is a lovely compliment, to say I used the pencils well. Very nice...:)

Twyla, for the expert on Polychromos to say "fantastic"...well, I can sit back and beam now. :D Thank you...maybe one day I can make these pencils do what you make 'em do.

I appreciate your comment very much, Raye. :) If I'm not mistaken, you're the one who advised darkening the jugs with complimentary colors in the other thread? Well, that worked! :)

Jan

Mo.
01-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey Jan, Had to pop in here to congratulate you on your finished jugs, You have excelled , this is beautiful work, not an easy subject either. Absolutely love it! Well done girl! :clap: :clap: :)
Be very proud!!
Cheers,
Mo.

chookbrown
01-12-2003, 07:49 PM
Lovely job Rev, great colors and textures.

Chooky :D:D:D

TeAnne
01-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Jan you did fantastic :clap: :clap:

ZB3
01-13-2003, 05:44 AM
Hi, everyone:

Thanks, Mo! So, we finally found each other at Wet Canvas! :D I appreciate your kind words...and you are right. This was a difficult piece, primarily because I didn't know what I was doing with the Polychromos pencils. Also, all those little unidentified objects lying around were a challenge. I finally said, "Oh, heck, just let 'em look like blobs." ;) I will get over to Pastels and check out your leopard project later today.

Thanks, Chooky! :) I worked hard, trying to get those bottles to look like glass.

TeAnne, I love words like "fantastic." :D Thanks! I feel fantastic, now that this is done. It may be a bit rough around the edges, but I'll always remember it as my first Polychromos piece.

Have a great day, all!

Jan

gemmag
01-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Hey Jan,

This came out beautiful!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: Do you like the Polychromos better than the Prismas? I thought I'd try the polychromos but I'm so familiar with the prisma's and derwents that everytime I start to think about the doing something with the polochromos I go to the others because my comfort level. Lots of times people say they don't know how I keep track of the layers (because of the way I work) and all I can say is I tend to use the same colors for the certain things and if I change I'll have to learn a whole new color scheme. I think it's great that you went a head and gave it a try.

Very Well Done!!!!
Gemma

ZB3
01-13-2003, 12:19 PM
Thank you, Gemma! :)

As far as liking the Polychromos better than the Prismas...I'm not sure. The Prismas are so beautiful, when you layer them all on top of each other -- and their gloss can't be beat. Out of the three colored pencil pieces I've done, it's one of the Prismas that catches everyone's eye. :)

The Polychromos pencils fascinate me, though, for some reason. I think it's the way the colors blend. I don't think you can layer them as well as you can Prismas, though. After three or four layers, your bottom layer sorta disappears. (Twyla might disagree with me here. :) Sorry if I'm wrong about this.)

Gemma, if I were already familiar with other brands and had a system that could produce the marvelous pieces that you produce, I don't know that I'd want to change...unless you just wanted to experiment. :)

I'm just starting out, so I'm trying bits of everything.

I bet you'd find the Polychromos similar to Derwents...a bit on the hard side. They sure hold a point well, though. And you know how Prismas lay down with a "buttery" feel and look? The Polychromos sorta reminds me of powdery velvet.

Anyway, my goal now is to be able to mix the two breeds and get the best of both worlds. :)

Jan