PDA

View Full Version : My last class of the week!

KarenU
01-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Today's class was Head Drawing. It's a fabulous class with a wonderful instructor. We worked from a live model and used velvet grey paper with sanguine and white pastel pencils. The entire class will be this format which will really help to develop my eye to indentify value shapes. The class is small, only 5 students which is very nice. The format was (3) 2 minute poses to get warmed up, then he started a series of 20 minute poses (same pose each time) followed by a 5 minute break to take up the rest of the class time. I know I'm really going to enjoy this class.

Here is what we worked on:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2003/8095-HeadDraw1.jpg

Thanks for looking! :D

chookbrown
01-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Nice head Karen!!! Love the touches of light across the face and the serious pose it nice also. Looks like you are really enjoying yourself!!

Chooky :D:D:D

Dark_Shades
01-09-2003, 07:43 PM
OMG!! Karen....... I cant believe this is yours...... erm.... dont mean it like that lol....... just the style...... LOVE IT!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: .... Now Im actually gonna read what you said

KarenU
01-09-2003, 07:48 PM
Thanks Chooky and Dawn for your comments. No kidding Dawn...a radical departure from my norm! :D But I actually like it and think I'll learn alot from this instructor.

Dark_Shades
01-09-2003, 07:52 PM
I LOVE IT .... ohh I said that already..... I bet you do Karen..... so jealous of you being able to go to classes ..... wow whats it going to be like after you've been there some time :eek: if this is what you do after ONE lesson..... hmmm will have to stop taling to ya :evil: lol ... hmmmmm just had a thought you can teach us :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
01-09-2003, 07:54 PM
was this with the BIG chunky sticks too ;) .. how did you manage the eyes..... with the edge?

Katherine J
01-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Karen, this is fantastic. If this is your first kick at the live model (!!) routine, you're a natural. I love everything about it - the colours, the technique. It looks so professional.

Katherine

Mo.
01-09-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Karen. good onya girly, you will really learn with life class, what's more you will really love it too, you are off to a brilliant start, love those sanguine pastels, aren't they great for sketching? Keep up the excellent work and good luck.:clap: :clap: :clap:
;) Mo.

meowmeow
01-09-2003, 08:40 PM
This is really exciting! I am glad you are sharing what you are doing and learning. I would love to find something conveniently near me. But watching you is almost asa much fun!
You are doing great...it will be interesting in the end to see how you take what you learn and incorporate it into your really own style.

Sandy

KarenU
01-09-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! :D

Dawn this was done with Sanguine and White pastel pencils. The instructor has us shave off about 2 to 3 inches of the wood from the pencil leaving a large portion of the pastel exposed. The first stage obviously is getting the head shape and tilt/angle correct. Then you start working the large shadow shapes with the side of the pastel pencil. Lots of squinting and looking and determining what the shapes are (even a large portion of the eyes are defined as shadow shapes). Once all the shadow shapes are defined, then you go in and start crisping up some of the lines, such as for the eyes, and nose,etc. You also add some hard edges on your cast shadows and make sure all your form shadows are feather edged. Then you go in and start final touches with the white pastel defining the roundness of the structures using just bits of white here and there, not overdoing it. It's a really wonderful process and I can't wait to do more.

Katherine...actually my first live model was in the life drawing class on Tuesday and no...I didn't post any of those as our instructor has up wipe them out so we don't have any investment in our drawings allowing us to easily move on to the next. We were only doing 10 minute poses and I would assume anything longer we may end up keeping (I would hope)! Plus...my drawings are not fit for viewing right now. It's funny...I can draw the human form from a photograph, but put me in front of a model and yikes! Maybe it was the quickness of the poses that got me.

Mikki Petersen
01-10-2003, 12:46 AM
Karen, how nice and I agree it looks different from the work I've seen of yours, not better or worse, different and very nice. The class sounds fascinating. I have a J.C. 2 miles from my house and every semister I procrastinate until it's too late. Maybe next fall I will have to get serious about it.

BTW, what is a sanguine?

ptantono
01-10-2003, 01:33 AM
I AM JEALOUS!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Nice work Karen.:clap: :clap:
Have good fun and enjoy your life drawing lesson !! but I am still jealous. :D :D

Lulu
01-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Wonderful portrait Karen, and thanks for taking the time to go through the teaching with us.

What a pity that you couldn't keep your first life drawing pics - I look back on mine now and laugh my head off so I must have got somewhere! problem is I haven't done life drawing for a while so I'm probably back there again now!

Slowdown
01-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Wow, great work karen!!!!!
It is not the type of painting that we recognise as a "karen painting", but its a fantastic piece. Great work karen:clap: :clap:

guilliame
01-10-2003, 05:04 PM
KarenU,this is a really good portrait i like it very much although i'm not surprised by it ,your enthusiasm and your preparation portraits you did i could sense that once you got to class something good would come from it.
I was told years and years ago that to be good i needed a good grounding in life drawing from a good teacher but i was young and we wont go into that but now i think it's a direction i ought to go,anyway well done i look forward to seeing more drawings:clap:

KarenU
01-10-2003, 05:35 PM
Mikki, Patricia, Lulu, Slowdown and guilliame....thank you for your lovely comments! :D

sunny
01-11-2003, 07:18 PM
:clap: Karen:clap:

I'm so tickled for you...proud of you too. Your drawing looks great..so glad your sharing all this with us.

you are inspirational:)

KarenU
01-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Thank you sunny! :D