PDA

View Full Version : soliciting a suggestion...

iridemft78
01-09-2003, 01:46 PM
....of a good intro reference (preferably a book....I'm not to good at reading vast amounts of info on the screen :( )to this medium. I have gathered the word "printmaking" covers a broad variety of materials and techniques. any suggestions?

coolartsybabe
01-10-2003, 01:35 AM
I can't think of any books on printmaking off the top of my head. But I would suggest taking a trip to your local library and looking at the art books that have on their shelves. They usually have a good collection and the price is right. Another artist budget book use I take advantage of is going to a bookstore that let's you sit down and look through or read books (like Barnes and Noble or Borders) and seeing what looks good to you before buying it.

Gisela
01-10-2003, 03:08 AM
The Complete Printmaker, by Ross, Romano and Ross is a must for anyone interested in printmaking. A great reference that covers everything! Amazon has it for a better price than most universities. :)

I can recommend some other books if there's an area of printmaking that you're particularly interested in...I'm a bit of a book freak.

Here's an old thread with a few more;
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26034

timelady
01-13-2003, 07:03 AM
Relief Printmaking Ann Westley, A & C Black (lots of ideas for relief prints, lots of pictures)

Printmaking for Beginners, Jane Stobart, A & C Black (nice coverage of basic and advanced techniques, lots of pictures to inspire!)

The Encyclopedia of Printmaking Techniques Judy Martin, Search Press Ltd (part of a series, there's an encyclopedia for nearly any medium you like!)

and this book also covers different types of prints, editions, and markings, and pricing and business side of editions: About Prints, A Guide for Artist Printmakers, Silvie Turner, Camberwell Press ISBN 1 871831 12 1 (UK ISBN, so might be different in the US)

I've never heard of this one, but it came up in Amazon: Simple Printmaking: A Beginner's Guide to Making Relief Prints, Gwen Diehn, Lark Books

Tina.

iridemft78
01-13-2003, 02:20 PM
ty very much coolartsybabe, gisela, and timelady!
yall have definately given a good idea of someplaces to start :) exactly what I was hoping for

:D

sassybird
01-20-2003, 12:31 PM
All the books that Timelady and Gisela mentioned are wonderful sources for information. If you do want to go into a particular technique then let us know and we can point you in the right direction :D Glad to see that you have gained and interest in the medium. Once you get started and find all that you can do with the diffent techniques you will be hooked!