PDA

View Full Version : 1mpete : Resources in Sacramento?

Nori
01-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Mikki (1mpete), I am a beginner pastelist living in Sacramento. I really love your work and imagine my joy at seeing your name and Elk Grove! I have been having a lot of fun with pastels since summertime and happily keep making improvements in my technique (well, actually there was no place to go but up). I owe most of my growth to this website. I haven't found too much in the way of classes or workshops yet. There are so many new galleries opening up in the Midtown area but their pastel artists tend to be really edge-y (cool but out of my league). Do you have any suggestions? I work full-time and am a single mom which limits my free time. I don't own a digi (yet) or a scanner (maybe I ought to invest), otherwise I would post some of my work for comment.

I loved the "out of my comfort zone thread". Your portrait was fabulous. I cannot begin to imagine tackling a portrait of someone I know (love).

Thanks for any advice you can give me. Nori

bnoonan
01-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi Nori,
I'm in San Francisco and know that you are in a great collection of pastelists having attended a recent show of work there. In fact I think there is another show coming up - I'll send you the information when I find it on my desk.

Welcome to pastels and yeah - it's great stuff.

Not exactly sure of any specific teachers in Sacramento but if you can tell me of your level, I may be able to ask around with others in my classes. I know you said you just started painting pastels, but have you been painting a lot prior? What other medium have you used?

Once again, welcome - this is a great place to get started

Barb

Nori
01-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Barb, thank you so much! Level-wise I think I am an advanced beginner. I feel pretty confident with the medium and it gives me a lot of pleasure. After some months of experimentation I find I enjoy landscape and figures the most. I don't really have any art background except for some graphite drawing but I made the leap from detailed work to looser drawings with colour pretty easily. It was very liberating to discover pastels.

I am thinking of getting a scanner soon so I can post some of my paintings for comment. I work on large sheets (20" x 28"), is a scanner a viable method?

Mikki Petersen
01-10-2003, 01:18 AM
Nori,

I've only been back into fine arts for a couple of months so I'm still hunting around for resources too. I know all the junior colleges offer classes. I also recently found out that Utrecht Art Supplies on Howe Ave is sponsoring life drawing sessions weekly beginning Feb. 2, but it is mostly sketching. I will let you know as I stumble across things if you will do the same for me. I'm kind of reclusive so I don't have a great network of resources.

Do by all means find a way to post your work. If all else fails you can take snapshots and have them developed on CD so you have access to files to post. I have seen so much improvement in my paintings in just the month I've been posting to this sight. You cannot even imagine how beneficial it is to post and get feedback in a friendly and nurturing environment like WC! and especially here in the Pastels forum. Just the encouragement alone is phenominal.

Nori
01-10-2003, 11:05 AM
I have been relying on Art Ellis and University Art for my supplies. I have talked to one woman who is a pastel artist here who participates in an eclectic gallery on F Street. Think I'll give her a call tomorrow and see if any of the galleries doing Second Saturday this month have pastel artists. I'll let you know what I find out.

One of my neighbors is getting his Master's in Art at Sac City College and he seems pretty happy with his pastel portrait class so I may see what is coming up there in the Spring.

I will probably bite the bullet and buy a digital camera to post my work. I want to use it for refernce pictures as well so I think the time has come. I also hope it will up the chances of my getting some pictures of my camera shy 16 year old.

Thanks for your reply.

Mikki Petersen
01-11-2003, 12:52 AM
Getting a digital camera so you can post your work here and get feedback is one of the most valuable investments you can make toward bettering your artistic self. I cannot begin to describe the difference in my work in less than 5 weeks of posting here and receiving feedback as well as participating in projects and finally in studying everyone else's work so I can give responsible feedback to them. It's a lot more intense the tell an artist to his monitor that something needs improvement than it is to walk around a gallery and casually pass critical comments.