PDA

View Full Version : My favourite swamp

sundiver
01-08-2003, 10:53 PM
I said I was going to post this experiment in oil pastels on scratchboard paper, but that was before I realized how impossible it is to get a good photo or scan of it.
The black should be richer, and the reds and blue-greens don't show at all on my monitor- hope you can see them on yours- and it's pasty here but not in RL.
My question to you is this: in the photo I took (in which the colors are dull as dishwater) there some are skeletal trees lying half out of the water, and the standing ones have some broken branches sticking out at the sides. My daughter says stop, leave it, don't do any more. She's quite enamoured of it as it is and I do value her opinion.
What do you think? Leave 'em out? Put 'em in?
All other advice and constructive criticism will be gratefully received.
Thanks for looking!

Redsy333
01-08-2003, 11:03 PM
WOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

You better believe your daughter has a Great Eye!!! This is friggin BEAUTIFUL!!!! If you so much as touch this I will hunt you down and break all your pastels:D:D lol
Seriously this is wonderful!!!! Frame it, lets get you a website via Wet Canvas and show off this Baby!!

KarenU
01-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Gotta side with your daughter on this one...it's absolutely wonderful. I love all those verticals of trees and grass with just the horizontal of the water.....really fabulous, don't touch it! :D

Mikki Petersen
01-09-2003, 04:11 AM
I'll third that...sign it, frame it, move on to another masterpiece.

Dark_Shades
01-09-2003, 05:56 AM
I like what I C 2 :D

meowmeow
01-09-2003, 07:50 AM
What they all said! :D

Sandy

Mo.
01-09-2003, 08:32 AM
It's beautiful! Do as Redsy says!! :)

Luvy
01-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Beautiful work here *S*

crumbedbrains
01-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Redsy, if this wonderful painting gets touched, I'll hold Sundiver down while you break the pastels!! LOL
Greta work . .love it!!
Crumby

JamieWG
01-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Wendy, can you show us the photo? I'm loving it as is, but curious to see exactly what's there. I'd avoid anything in the foreground with horizontal planes that would stop the eye from going back. It's just lovely, and I love your colors. How are you liking the new pastels you bought?

Jamie

sundiver
01-09-2003, 05:06 PM
Well, I guess I've been told! Thank you all very much.
Jamie, I'm enjoying the new oil pastels to the point of a mini-obsession. I like the way they handle.
Here's my reference photo, snapped the day of the first snow. Obviously I took some liberties with it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2003/6393-swamp_photo.jpg

chookbrown
01-09-2003, 07:45 PM
Love everything about this one!!!

Chooky :D:D:D

JamieWG
01-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi Wendy.

Thanks for the reference pic. Your painting looks great and FWIW, I think you're done!

Jamie