PDA

View Full Version : turpentine?

bikevstar
01-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the purpose of turpentine is for oil pastels? Can you mix it with them and basically make a paste and then use a palette knife to apply it? I thought that would be totally cool!

Kelly

sandge
01-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Let me start by saying that I'm not an oil pastellist. However, my understanding is that you can use turpentine to dilute the oil pastels. I'm not sure this would result in a paste, although I guess it depends what you do. I have seen it used to produce thin washes - rather like the effect of adding water to water soluble coloured pencils. But I think it's best to experiment and find out what you can do ... and don't forget to post the results! :D

KarenU
01-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Oh yes...you can do all sorts of things with oil pastels and turps. You can put the oil pastel down on your paper and then go over with a brush loaded with turps to blend and create more of a wash effect. You can dip your oil pastel into turps and draw with it which creates a very painterly effect. You can shave off bits of your oil pastel and dissolve in a small amount of turps and create a paste to smear on with a knife if you so desired.

You should check out Bill Creevy's book called The Pastel Book. He has a pretty extensive section on oil pastels as well as regular pastels and oil sticks.

bikevstar
01-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Hey,

I just bought the damn book and forgot about it. I did read it from cover to cover but I guess I didn't retain much. Must be all the dried herbs in my house making me cloudy! Back to the book. I should get Pastels for Dummies I guess, eh? Sorry, had to throw some Canadian lingo in there. Thanks for the posts.

Kelly