PDA

View Full Version : My Comfort Zone

Mo.
01-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Well this and people portraits and life painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2003/5154-TJ_sm.jpg

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Show off :p ..... now this IS nice Mo :D - this is your one right? ..... Know what I like it better ;) ..... Luvverly jubblee ... and hand claps :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .... can see where your heart lies........ and hey look at all them wonderful greens in the background....... thanks for sharing Mo, am surprised you hadn't before now...... excellent work

Mo.
01-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks Princess, yes this is the only painting that I have limited edition prints of, This is Tjololo the leo I told you about, painted about 18 months ago pastel on glass paper. As to the greens there, well they are just a background drop, different to painting a full landscape painting, the ref pic, which unfortunately I cannot show because of copyright issues, (I was asked not to publish the original) shows the leo in very dark evening light, so I turned it around and made it early morning.
Thanks for the lovely comps, and it's nice to show off now and then!:)

KarenU
01-07-2003, 09:12 PM
Holy smokes Mo....that's gorgeous! :D

sundiver
01-07-2003, 09:42 PM
So I was thinking, why is the ref pic there but not the painting? Hmmm, that background is interesti......OMIGOSH! This is out of your comfort zone? You look pretty darn comfortable with this fellow! It's lovely.

kayek
01-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Just Beautiful!!!

Gaka
01-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Hi Mo

This is just a beautiful piece of work, lovely atmosphere and soft light, Love it , just love it....darn this stuff inspires me, gotta make time to do more pastel wildlife!!!! :D

What is glass paper? pardon my lack of knowledge :D

Seeya...Gaka

crumbedbrains
01-08-2003, 07:08 AM
Yep . .gotta agree with you Gaka . . inspiring stuff this.
Well done Mo!! . . nice piece.
Cheers
Crumby

bikevstar
01-08-2003, 07:50 AM
You have got to be kidding me?! This is truly amazing! When I first looked at it I thought it was the reference photo. Holy ****, you're good! Amazing stuff! Please post some more for us to see.

Kelly

Luvy
01-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Boy this is beautiful. And I just love the background. Did those spots drive you nuts? I"ve been afraid to do one because I'm afraid I'll get to uniform on the spots and make a mess of it. LOL Great job

bikevstar
01-08-2003, 07:57 AM
Mo,

I was hoping you would tell us how you got such great detail. Maybe you could help the little people by telling us what and how you use your tools for works of art like this? It would be a tremendous help for someone like me who is just starting. And I mean starting...I just bought the pastels, some board, and a stump or two. I bought the cray-pas extra fine quality oil pastels. Hope this is ok for a start?

Thanks Kelly - truly stunning! Not me, your art!

meowmeow
01-08-2003, 08:38 AM
why is the ref pic there but not the painting

That's exactly what I thought! That is gorgeous Mo!
Well done and it is excellent and besides that it is terrific!
I am quite impressed. In fact I am actually honored to be among such talented people.
Would some of you rub up against me? :D

Sandy

Mo.
01-08-2003, 11:27 AM
Thought I'd pop in early today, as I'm off to the flicks tonight to see Lord of the Rings Two Towers, and look at all these wonderful compliments, I'm so flattered and honoured thankyou all.

Karen, Lovely compliment. Thank you.

Sundiver,:D this IS my comfort Zone, the landscape challenge was out of it. :D Thanks for the compliments.

Kayek thank you too.

Gaka, Thanks for looking and for the compliments, what I used here was called glass paper, but there are better versions out now that is water resistant, think you know it as Art spectrum? Anhow similar thing, the paper is coated with very fine almost dust like particles of some sort of abrasive material, it eats up the pastels, but you can apply umpteen layers without the need to fix, Ideal for detail work, well any type of pastel work. I love it, it's one of my favourite pastel supports.

Gaka, thanks for looking, good to know I've inspired you guys. ;)

Kelly, Thanks indeed for your compliments.

Luvy, Yes, :D they did, I was dreaming spots, but it was worth it.

Sandy, Thank you too for saying such lovely things.

Cheers all,

Mo.
01-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by bikevstar
Mo,

I was hoping you would tell us how you got such great detail. Maybe you could help the little people by telling us what and how you use your tools for works of art like this? It would be a tremendous help for someone like me who is just starting. And I mean starting...I just bought the pastels, some board, and a stump or two. I bought the cray-pas extra fine quality oil pastels. Hope this is ok for a start?

Thanks Kelly - truly stunning! Not me, your art!

Hi Kelly, Thanks for your interest, this as stated above was painted on glass paper a type of fine sand paper especially for pastels. I use soft pastels (Rembrandts, Winsor Newton) and pastel pencils, (Faber Castell, Carbothello, Bruynzeel and Derwent,) my favourites being Faber Castell and Carbothello, not too keen on Derwent pencils as they break easily, but they have a good colour range. Painting this painting I laid in all the basics with the Rembrandts, then fixed really well, although the paper will hold several layers, I was to apply a harder pastel for detailed work over a soft, so needed to fix the pastel first, or the pencils would just scratch the surface. For blending I use colour shapers, little cotton buds, and tissue paper, I also make my own tortillons as I find the shop bought ones too hard. I work all over the painting switching from area to area, sounds quite messy I know, but I like to develop all areas of the painting to the same degree as I work, to protect my work from being smudged, I lay a piece of tissue paper on the surface for my hand to rest on, but just recently my Hubby made me a mahl stick, so I've been using that, but find it tiring to use.
I haven't used oil pastels for years now, still have them, but they have become a little dried out now. I find the soft pastels and pencils much easier to use, but the techniques are similar. i.e blending etc., You can use turps to spread the oil pastels for glazing or light washes, which is useful if painting a large area, you can also get some really good effects by using a cocktail stick and scratch into the layers of the oil pastel to give fur and grass effects and such. When I paint fine fur, I use a sort of overlapping V stroke using several colours, if you study the fur of an animal you will understand what I mean.

Painting the rosettes or spots on this guy was a bit of a headache, but I know this leopard so well after watching the filming of him for 12 months, that I feel I know each individual spot he has. :D.

Hope this helps some
Cheers.

Redsy333
01-08-2003, 04:58 PM
This is just to damn good!!! LOL
I personally like the way you captured the profile :D

Mikki Petersen
01-09-2003, 04:57 AM
You have a lot of gall threatening to throw an eraser at me! This is sensational! And I also don't want to hear any more buffoonery about greens, girl! Seriously, this is a lovely work of art that displays excellent skill, talent and mastery of a medium. Your passion for this animal comes through loud and clear!

Mo.
01-09-2003, 08:46 AM
Thanks Redsy,Thanks Mikki..... Ok! I'll hang on to the eraser, well for now! :D