PDA

View Full Version : Developing a style.

BenR345
01-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Hello everyone, my name's Ben, and I'm new to this part of WC. I recently realized that decorative art is my favorite thing to do because it allows me to quit being so wrapped up in the technicalities, and actually enjoy my art. It also helps me to simply have fun, and to enjoy the reactions I get when one of my pieces is thought to be nice enough to adorn someone's home.

I've been working on developing my own unique style, inspired by Chinese water-ink painting and the drawings of Henri Matisse. Is there anyone out there who'd be kind enough to give me some pointers and help me develop this to get the most pleasing effect? It would be deeply appreciated. :)

Here's a sample of my practice work.

arlene
01-08-2003, 02:53 PM
You might want to ask this also in the illustration forum. They might be able to give you more tips, but my advice is just to keep working, because the more you do the more your own style will develop.

inisheerstudio
01-21-2003, 11:15 PM
I agree with Arlene....

You just have to keep working....paint as if no one will see it! LOL Some great accidents happen that way...the paint will show you the way!:D

Sparky
01-26-2003, 11:22 AM
I love the srokes! They flow and I felt comfortable with the "look" immediately. Then... I felt a bit lost. Now I'm speaking strictly as a fellow artist; I'm surely no expert/teacher/whatever. But I tried to figure out the change in my feelings and I think it has something to do with focal point. You have the solid black ball or pearl. And two colors, both of which have, it seems, almost equal prominence. I think your lovely stroke work pulled me in but then my brain couldn't figure what the main focal point was.

This is only a matter of rethinking the central attraction and emphasizing that. But - again - the stylistic strokes and overall impression is really nice. And I agree with the others - that develops as you go. Thanks for sharing!
Sparky

boarsrock
03-02-2003, 04:27 PM
My own personal perspective would be to not worry about your style. Keep your focus on how you perceive, images, thought and emotion. Practicing what you see and feel into a visual result will identify your style. Even the Masters style evolved. Let yourself have the fun of the experience.

Sher
04-29-2003, 02:17 AM
BenR345,

I love your style! It reminds me a little of Marc Bellaire's work.