PDA

View Full Version : beaches oyster boats (oil pastel)

sundiver
01-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Still playing with my new oil pastels. This is 5x7.
I'm not sure about the water's edge. Suggestions?
Thanks for looking!

Luvy
01-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Sundiver I just love the texture of those boats Looks like they need painting, rough wood about to splinter Great job So do you like the oils? I have a few but found them crayony. I've not tried to do a whole painting with them.

Taminka
01-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey sundiver this is really nice - the boats have a really weathered look - and the water really looks like water!
(spoken by someone who's really struggling with water at the moment)
Suggestions? - well, maybe a little more texture on the ground - ie stones etc, would add a bit more interest. I do think the waters edge nees a little something, but not being an expert in the water area will leave that for someone else - maybe breaking up that staight line would help.
Really love the colours

Cheers,
Minky

KarenU
01-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Wow...you're going to town gal with these oil pastels....this is wonderful! :D

Redsy333
01-07-2003, 12:12 AM
Beautifullllllll! I agree with the others the texture on the boats are wonderful, color is soft and inviting!

Question: Do you have a website, and if not ...WHY? >>:D

Mikki Petersen
01-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Good work, Sundiver! I'm with Luvy in finding oil pastels more like playing with my grandkid's crayolas. But you sure are making them work. I think your water is fine. If there is no rolling surf, a beach looks like a lakeside without the vegetation. You did a nice job with the wet sand and the piled up seaweed and seajunk.

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 04:13 AM
Another really lovely one from you Sundiver - well done

Just came back in....... both you and Minky should put your paintings in for 'show us your beaches' projects :)

sunny
01-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Another beauty sundiver..just a suggestion, I think the waters edge is rendered just fine, but I think it would look better if the front of that boat was over the waterline..in other words bring the waterline on an angle so that the edge isn't over the boat...heh heh....do you know what I'm trying to say??

just chuckling here..excuse me for a moment...:D

the water line is creating a flat plane above the boat...they are competing for the glory so to speak....with the darker values brought down from the water, I think that boat would pop....and you wouldn't feel a problem with the edge of the water....

Quess I better go pour some more coffee....pardon me I'm just waking up, so my run on sentences are taking over.. :D

meowmeow
01-07-2003, 09:48 AM
Quite a nice job. I did a boat once with a similar angle as the front one and I had a lot of trouble with it...you did a super job.
The only thing I can think is what others have said...maybe add a little more texture to the sand and near the water line. And yes, maybe bring the water line below the top of the boat. I had not noticed it till it was mentioned but the line is right at the top of the boat.
But this is a super painting.

Sandy

sundiver
01-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Thank you all for your comments! :)
Luvy, I am enjoying the oil pastels , but it's the Holbein artist quality ones I like most. They are closer to soft pastels in that they can be layered - not as much as soft but much more than my Cray-Pas etc. They are also more opaque than my cheapies. And I really like not wearing a dust mask! But it will take a while to build up a good selection of colors.
Sunny and meowmeow, point well taken about the waterline; I agree it would look better below the edge of the boat. Taminka, the texture's a good idea, too, thanks!
(Sunny, I know about being tired ...would it help if I told you I put the mail in the freezer today, and then spent half an hour searching for it? :) )
Redsy, I don't have a website and haven't the faintest idea how to go about making/getting one.
I'm taking my oil pastel experimenting a step further at the moment, and I love what's happening but am now scared I'll ruin it. Oh well what have I got to lose but a piece of paper?

KarenU
01-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
....I am enjoying the oil pastels , but it's the Holbein artist quality ones I like most....

sundiver...have you ever tried Sennelier oil pastels and if so, how do the Holbeins compare to the Sennelier?

A step further in the experimentation?! I hope you're going to share your experience! :D

sundiver
01-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by KarenU B]
sundiver...have you ever tried Sennelier oil pastels and if so, how do the Holbeins compare to the Sennelier?
A step further in the experimentation?! I hope you're going to share your experience! :D [/B]

Karen, I just got 3 Sennelier iridescent pastels in the mail. Haven`t tried them but they`re quite transparent. John Elliot describes them as lipsticky, and that would apply to the 3 I have. Otherwise I haven`t experienced them.
The Holbeins are apparently harder than the Senneliers. They feel rather like a medium-soft pastel when applying them.
As for the experimentation, I`m now trying colors on that scratchboard paper. It`s interesting, because the paper`s so slick. I`ll post it, good or bad!

mistiaggie
01-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Love it! :D Pastels are fun to work with!

KarenU
01-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by sundiver

Karen, I just got 3 Sennelier iridescent pastels in the mail. Haven`t tried them but they`re quite transparent. John Elliot describes them as lipsticky, and that would apply to the 3 I have. ...

Yes I would have to agree...the iridescent ones that I got for Christmas are very "lipsticky" and transparent. I wonder if the regular colors are like that as well? I've been wanting to order some of the regular Senneliers but think instead I'll buy a couple open stock to try before I invest in a set.

Can't wait to see the new experiment! :D

crumbedbrains
01-09-2003, 10:43 AM
This is great Sundiver,
I'd agree with all the comments above with regard the stones on the beach and the level of the water line. BUT DON"T TOUCH THOSE BOATS!!! . .They look fantastic!! I particularly like the reflected light under the one in front!!

My only comment is in regard to the anchor . . . never seen one sit up like that . .especially when the tides out . . . might look better if it was lying down flat and semi-buried.

All in all though . .excellent . . .never tried oil pastels . .they scare me!! LOL
Cheers
Crumby