PDA

View Full Version : The Duel ... erm Challenge begins

Dark_Shades
01-04-2003, 07:40 PM
... this is a story about 1mpete, myself ..... and Mo :D

I can not for the life of me doing anything green, foliage, vegitation, flora ..... etc :crying: ... Im abit like (think its Chelle's quote) ... whaddya mean, whats that blob in the middle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so this is how this thread began

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
lol Sunny and Redsy - thanks for the comments :)

Ha! pete, perhaps thats how I should approach green foliage....... Im gonna do a portrait of vegetation hee hee, I may get some resemblance that way ..... rofl! [/QUOTE

~~~~~~~
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1mpete
Bravo!:clap: :clap: :clap:

I love green. It's my favorite color (except for purple). But I'm portrait challenged. You try a portrait of foilage and I'll try a portrait in green. See how we come out.

I think this chimp is some of your best work yet. Outstanding!

Mikki, you laid down the gauntlet in challenge in my Royal Court lolol .... I now pick it up :evil:
I challenge thee to a portrait....... and I will attempt (feebly) a flower :D ..... Does it have to have green in it? :(

Dark_Shades
01-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

Okay Dawn , can I join in with this challenge? I don't paint flowers or landscapes either, Could be fun?

... so there you are....... here we are........ the challenge begineth :D

if you want to see and hear the rest of the story..... and fun.... (at my expense) :crying:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79946

Dark_Shades
01-04-2003, 07:51 PM
We're off

... wahhhhhh why do I get myself into these pickles :confused:

KarenU
01-04-2003, 07:59 PM
*rubbing her hands together* Ewwww...this is gonna be good! :D

gmc
01-04-2003, 08:02 PM
And do we get to see all the progress pictures????

geri

KarenU
01-04-2003, 08:05 PM
I voted for progress pics ALL ALONG THE WAY!! :D

Dark_Shades
01-04-2003, 08:09 PM
hee hee ...... the first one to post a WIP is the the winner.... sshhhh dont tell 1mpete or Mo ..... tis our secret

Dark_Shades
01-04-2003, 08:16 PM
... yeahhhhhh

bit blurry....... must of had some of gmc's wine ;)

thats it folks!! shows over....... move along now...... go on home ..... see you next week

Challenge over :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2003/ARose.jpg

KarenU
01-04-2003, 08:33 PM
hehehe...you're just too funny! But...my one question is...where's the green!!?? :evil:

Dark_Shades
01-04-2003, 08:38 PM
Ohhh pooh Karen..... you dont play fair neither lol ........ can I resubmit it with a green cross D: ..... to mark the spot where the foliage should be hee hee

meowmeow
01-04-2003, 09:25 PM
:D

What a wacky place! I love it! :D

God start...I like the flower...But Where Are The Leaves!!!!!

I bet she puts in lavender leaves! :D

Sandy

Luvy
01-04-2003, 10:45 PM
What is this a head of cabbage? LOL No that would be green wouldn't it? LOL Looking good so far. We're in the same forest of people and animals forget the trees LOL

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Wait a minute! My DH dragged me out of my studio to go for a drive right after that challenge. Yes, Dawn, you do have to use green in your floral portrait. That was the whole point! In fact, I thought you were going to do a portrait of something green.

I on the other hand am going to paint my DH is shades of green. He deserves it for dragging me away from WC! when it's been down for two days!

gmc
01-05-2003, 06:48 AM
Keep posting Dark-Shades. Would love to see all the progress of a rose.

I love roses and never tried one.

Looks great so far!!!!!

geri

looking again. Love those colors..

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Wait a minute! My DH dragged me out of my studio to go for a drive right after that challenge. Yes, Dawn, you do have to use green in your floral portrait. That was the whole point! In fact, I thought you were going to do a portrait of something green.

I on the other hand am going to paint my DH is shades of green. He deserves it for dragging me away from WC! when it's been down for two days!

Believe me Mikki, there will be something green (well I hope so) ...... but I thought on past attempts perhaps Id be best off doing something with NOT so much green in it hee hee... you know little by little

- Thanks gmc ...... love roses too :), have never drawn one before nor painted one - so I class this as a hard challenge along with it having green in it too :)

Mo.
01-05-2003, 07:39 AM
Our little Princess has been painting all through the night...poor little handmaiden has the chores to do before she can paint :mad:

So after a refreshing nights sleep, she goes out on a cold and very white frosty morning armed with cam and dog in tow to find suitable pic for landscape challenge. Okay here's the ref pic I'll be working from, don't expect miracles, think it needs a crop though.
What say you?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/landscapesm.jpg

Princess, you are doing fine, but then you only have one lousy flower to paint, no fair! Don't forget the GREEN leaves!! Whahaha!!! :D

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 07:43 AM
Princess says....... ooooooh that looks hard (rubbing hands with glee)

.... whaddya mean my flower's lousy :eek:

Mo.
01-05-2003, 07:48 AM
How did I know you'd be overjoyed with my choice? :D

I didn't say your flower is lousy, them's are your words dear Princess, I said you only have to paint one lousy flower, a play on words! Nanananana!!

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
How did I know you'd be overjoyed with my choice? :D

I didn't say your flower is lousy, them's are your words dear Princess, I said you only have to paint one lousy flower, a play on words! Nanananana!!

hee hee,

I know Mo, just me reverting back to the Court Jester having fun :angel:

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 09:38 AM
..... suppose it would help greatly when doing pink ..... you have a pink pencil :D
..... my eyes were going boggled eyed trying to follow the lines of the rose...... it was like one of those...... 'find your way out of the maze' type experiences lol

..... this how far I have got

OOps had to edit out pic sorry...... uploaded the new pic ..... and Id called it same name...... Doh!! .... wahhhhh

..... how you doing Mo? ..... come on Mikki.... time to wake up :D

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Am I the only one working :mad: hee hee, suppose Mo is in front of the fire asleep after her Sunday dinner :) ..... Mikki is probably covering her DH in green face paint :)
:eek: dont tell me you two have lives outside of here :eek:

.... well this is how far I have got now....... think you can see where Im really getting into the colours lolol.... and where I had started :p
it looked not too bad on my lap, but in true form when uploaded can see colours are wrong in places...... will try to improve but limited to my colour options :(

.... the next posting should be the easy bits hee hee hee

The GREENS!! .... ohhhh No, not the greens.... so lol it may be along time till you see the next WIP lol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/ARose1.jpg

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 11:33 AM
forgot to add......... New signature for Mikki :D

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Okay here's the ref pic I'll be working from, don't expect miracles, think it needs a crop though.
What say you?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/landscapesm.jpg

If this was me doing it Mo, Id crop it back to the plain blue sky :evil: :D

sunny
01-05-2003, 01:27 PM
We're off

... wahhhhhh why do I get myself into these pickles :confused:

Pickles are greeeeeen....how bout a rose and a pickle...;)

By the way Queen Sunny has arrived...Ho Hum... my subjects are at it again...the view from my opera glasses...tells me Princess Dawn has got a running start on poor Mo, as I chant..WE WANT MIRACLES! YOU CAN DO IT:clap: 1mpete...OFF with the DH's head:evil:

The high court has ruled..PROGRESS PICS, thanks Karen, Sandy, Luvy, gmc...(gmc I was gonna call you a wench and pour the wine)..didn't have the heart..

All the loyal subjects are calm now, but they can turn into a rowdy crowd....

KarenU
01-05-2003, 01:38 PM
hehehe....this is such a fun thread to read! :D

You guys are doing great. Dawn your rose looks fabulous and Mo that is a challenging, but beautiful landscape you've chosen...if it were me, I might crop it something like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/MoCrop.jpg

Can't wait to see the continued progress pics of your challenge! :D

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Lol Sunny ... (meanwhile Princess Dawn tip toes over to the serving wench gmc - and tells her to stop pouring out the wine...... as Queen Sunny is getting a wee bit toooo Merry! - well she is married to the King, .... Old King Cole)

...... finished mine hee hee...... posting in a mo ..... ohhh in a mo lol

sunny
01-05-2003, 02:12 PM
:o just gave the ole King a shove:o trying to get him to make a ruling on how can we have a dual between 3 people:D he's not budging:mad:

It's history in the making in our own little kingdom...

Like the crop of the pic, Karen

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 02:19 PM
yes I like Karens crop too........ hmmmm I wonder if Mo has been waiting all this time for an answer :eek:
..... Mikki's in here somewhere seen her answering threads..... she's avoiding us lolol

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 02:33 PM
The Royal Court trumpeteers..... strike up a fan fare...... da Da DA Dahhhhhhh!!!

....... (gonna try something in here....... may have to go back and edit :D )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/ARoseByAnyOtherName.jpg

hmmmmm seems to work..... will have to submit now and see if it does :D - Nope it didnt ahh well lol

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 02:55 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/ARoseGreen.jpg

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 03:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/Waterdroplet.jpg

meowmeow
01-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Ooooh....luverly! And I see the green! :D
You did a good job!

Sandy

gmc
01-05-2003, 03:20 PM
And....geri is too interested in the rose to be pouring any more wine. Especially to the contestants!!!!!! So from now on wine is only for the on-lookers.

Continue ladies.........

Out-standing rose Dark_Shades....and (don't tell anyone I said this) your greens are sensational.

geri

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by gmc
And....geri is too interested in the rose to be pouring any more wine. Especially to the contestants!!!!!! So from now on wine is only for the on-lookers.

Continue ladies.........

Out-standing rose Dark_Shades....and (don't tell anyone I said this) your greens are sensational.

geri

Thanks Meow :) ..... Lolol Geri...... Ive just given you a raise..... you are now MAID OF HONOUR!! lolol

... can you believe it ...... I actually STILL found the greens hard to do, but one thing though was that I feel the greens I have to work with are allll tooooo Bright!! ....anyone got any tips ? .... when I tried something else with green, someone told me to use reds and blues on them..... tried this :) ... I would try getting other pencils, but found different makes dont go to well together .... one will be softer/harder than the other

KarenU
01-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Dawn...the rose turned out beautifully and so did your greens! Yes...you can definitely tone down the greens with a red compliment :D

Wanted to add tho that I don't think the greens you used here are too bright at all.

meowmeow
01-05-2003, 03:36 PM
I think the greens work fine.
I do frequently lay a red down under the green to help tone it down but it is not always necessary. I mix my types of pastels to some extent but once I use some of the softer, more buttery ones then there isn't much more it will take.

Sandy

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Thanks both of you ...... had to add some black to the green to get it more to my liking - each pencil has a colour on the end, but I feel they are all too bright though the coloured end shows them more muted - perhaps thats my problem .... see I dont even have a pink one lolol

Ohhh and by the way, in natural light the blues are NOT soooo vivid either - took pic with the daylamp lol

..... Mo, Mo ...... where are you!!! ..... hmmmmm (bet shes with that stable boy again) ...... better go check

...... **** door open and closes

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 04:39 PM
I bow to Thy stunning talent, Princess! And lo Thee has skillfully used the color green.

(so what's your B--tch, brat!:crying: ) You can use green and I still cannot do portraits! I cannot even do animal portraits as evidenced by my latest posting!

Oh well, I'm off to humiliate myself with a portrait of my DH now.

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 04:49 PM

(so what's your B--tch, brat!:crying: )

Oh well, I'm off to humiliate myself with a portrait of my DH now.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Did you see what she said :eek:

* falls in a faint

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 05:12 PM
You can use green and I still cannot do portraits! I cannot even do animal portraits as evidenced by my latest posting!

youuuuu are such a liar Mikki :p Im not talking to you - Ive been and found your wolf in Pastels....... :evil:

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 05:41 PM
No comment! Hush now! Unlike you, I have to sit at an easel to work and I'll never get this foolish portrait started if you keep fussing at me:p

sunny
01-05-2003, 06:15 PM
As the Queen chuckles at the choice words:eek: :eek: :eek: she feels she'll pass over the comment, Mikki is allowed to let her frustration to show...she has a challenging task ahead of her;)

I have faith in you Mikki:clap:

Princess Dawn, your rose is beautiful!!!! You handled the greens like a master:clap: i also agree that the greens don't look bright.

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Okay...so far so good. I have managed a sketch with a fair likeness I think.

Here's the ref pic:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/John_BW_closeupp.jpg

Here's the sketch:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/My_DH_-_a_sketch.jpg

Figure I'd get some feedback before I even attempt blocking in color which is where I always loose the likeness. Any comments?

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 06:48 PM
ohhhhh nice looking Dh :D .... ohhh he's a bobby..... does that mean I have to behave myself with you ..... he looks like that singer....... erm ...... who is it....... hang on..... calling my DH over ...... DH shook he's head..... said dunno.... said yeah you do.... that american singer :D .... he said oHhhhhh Kenny Rodgers..... thas the one ..... youngest son said...... Sean Connery :)

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Ok Mikki........ do you REALLLLLLY want some help with this.... or do you want to carry on as you are?
I can perhaps help you with what little I know

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 06:55 PM
I don't see the resemblance to either of those gents, think it's the beard and the squinty eyes. Several years ago, we were out Christmas shopping in a local dept. store and a salesgirl came completely unglued because she was such a fan , had seen all his movies, was calling other people over, really making a scene, because Sean Connery was right there at her counter, LOL. John, my DH, showed her his driver's license and badge case and nothing would convince her he wasn't Mr. Connery. He finally had to sign an autograph for her, but he used his own name. She was upset that he wouldn't give up his disguise. Like Sean Connery would be shoppiing in a Sacramento dept. store with an old bat like me!

Mo.
01-05-2003, 07:00 PM
I Love your rose, it's so beautiful, I'm in awe!

Your greens are the tastiest greens I've seen, subtle and soft., and yes I have thre same trouble with greens, always seem too bright i.e. the pencil pastel greens, but rembrandt have some lovely deep dark greens, but some tend to look dirty if you know what I mean, when using pastel pencils I generally darken my greens with that good old faithful indigo blue, what a beauty of a colour that one is.

Well I will give you a deep and deserving curtsey for painting such a beauty! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well as I explained in my PM to you, I've not got anywhere, now I really need a good ref pic for a landscape any offers anyone?
Can't continue with the one I posted it's too damn hard and too busy.

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 07:00 PM
do you REALLLLLLY want some help with this....

Yup, I really do, unless it's against the rules of the challenge. I can get a sketch but once I begin laying in color the likeness vanishes. This is my third attempt to do a portrait of him. The kids are clamoring for it but my two previous tries had them on the floor laughing with tears in their eyes. Now I like a good joke as well as the next guy but...:crying:

KarenU
01-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Okay Mikki....took both your photos into Photoshop and did a little layering so you could take a look at how you have sketched the features versus what your photos is like:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/MikkiPhotoExample.jpg

I placed the sketch over the top of the photo and set the transparency on the sketch layer to about 50% so you could see through it to the photo below. I placed the nose of the sketch in the same position as the nose in the photo. I like to do this layering when I'm working on a portrait as it really lets me see where I may be off with the measurements.

Hope this helps. :D

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Well you would help me .... wouldnt you Mikki, if I was stuck :mad: .... wouldnt you :mad:

ok ... this is really one useful tip to start..... get photo and drawing same size...... and post side by side

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/JohnP.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/MyDHD.jpg

..... and sit and compare what diff you have and make the necessary adjustments........ got run now...... got to get to bed.... its gone midnight wahhhhhh ........ catch up with you tomorrow

(ps - this also would work with animals) ...... there is also overlaying too...... someone may show you while Im away lol

Mo.
01-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Okay...so far so good. I have managed a sketch with a fair likeness I think.

Here's the ref pic:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/John_BW_closeupp.jpg

Here's the sketch:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/My_DH_-_a_sketch.jpg

Figure I'd get some feedback before I even attempt blocking in color which is where I always loose the likeness. Any comments?

Hey Nikki, you are off to a fine start, a few pointers to help you on your way, and then maybe you will help me with my landscape when I get one to paint. :)

First off, congrats on drawing this freehand, not many attempt that, I generally do, can't be bothered with tracing and scaling up, but I do check and check and check my measurements,

Look at the eyes, study them for a while and you will see where you have gone wrong there, one is lower than the other, check the space between the eyes, should be one eye width, look at the cap in the ref photo, and then your sketch, can you see? You need more forehead showing. Nose is pretty good, like that! Mouth is not bad either except for the right hand corner just lift that corner a little. Good looking hubby you have, my Hubby was in the same proffession.

Way to go Nikki, you are doing so well!

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 07:14 PM
LOLOLOL

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Is this too fussy Mo? ........ I wanted to try this myself....... but as I CANT DO GREENS :p ..... my attempt was rubbish ..... took the pic myself of down by the river near me....... canal boat and an old Mill

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/River.jpg

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 07:27 PM
Oh, wow! What great tips! All these tools right at hand and I've never thought to use them. That overlay trick is fantastic. I've got to figure out how to do that. I've noticed with likenesses that one simple stroke out of place with ruin the whole deal. Side by side the same size makes a big difference too. And nothing beats a good, objective eye like yours Mo.

Mo, what kind of landscape are you looking for? I have literally hundreds of ref pics, maybe thousands. All those years I wasn't painting, I was snapping pix for "someday".

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Dawn, that is a gorgeous photo. Would be a good practice in doing greens, too.

May I ask why you limit yourself to pastel pencils? I find the color range in the pencils to be fairly poor compared to what is available in soft pastels. Rembrandt does have some great soft greens and dull greens and Sennelier has awsome darks. I genreally use the pencils for early blocking and sketching but move on to Nupastels for getting the tonal values then to Rembrandts for the majority of the painting then to the Senneliers or Great American Artworks for the final highlighting and deep shading because they are so soft. With pastels, unlike with paints, your color mixing options are very limited, so having a good range of color on hand can make a big difference. I'm still collecting pastels and experimenting with different brands. So far, I've found Rembrandts to be a good fallback choice because they have a nice range, medium density, consistent smoothness and not too bad a price compared to most the others.

Mo.
01-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Lovely photo Dawn, but it's a blooming boat! I can't paint boats.

I'll have a try though, never say die hey? ;)
cheers,

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 07:38 PM
You know, Dawn, I was just scanning back through this thread and realize I never commented on your finished rose. So Sorry!

It is exquisitely rendered. I love all the color play in the petals and yet it is so soft and delicate. And your greens are absolutely lifelike. Very well done.

Mo.
01-05-2003, 07:49 PM

Mo, what kind of landscape are you looking for? I have literally hundreds of ref pics, maybe thousands. All those years I wasn't painting, I was snapping pix for "someday".

Thanks Nikki, I'm looking for something simple. :) I'm not a lanscape painter, I thought I'd try the pic I posted earlier, but it's way too fussy, maybe okay for the serious landscape artists, but I've not painted a landscape for at least four years, here's the last one I did, and this took me about a month to complete.
When I painted in oils I used to paint landscape more often, but it was not my thing really.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/monbridge.jpg

So something simplified but interesting would do lovely if you have one and thank you.

P.s. Hey gang, shall I cheat and tell Dawn I did this overnight? :D

KarenU
01-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Wow Mo...that's a gorgeous landscape with lots of detail...I can see why it took you so long to complete! :D

How about one of these?

Old dairy farm in Half Moon Bay California:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/MoPic1.jpg

Coast line in Monterey California:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/MoPic2.jpg

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Okay Mo, here are a few other choices:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/Ft_Ross_Eucalyptus-a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/battered_stump.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/Happy_Valley_creek-a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/clematis-rail_fence-a.jpg

Mikki Petersen
01-05-2003, 08:47 PM
BTW, you have my unrestricted permission to use these photos in any manner you see fit.

Also, I think your painting of the bridge is very good.

Brooke
01-05-2003, 09:40 PM
. . . ummm, I know I'm not a citizen of this kingdom. I'm just passin' thru.
Well, anyway, I want a leaf on that rose (sorry princess). Green is just like any other color (except in color, of course)! Just pretend it is red or orange or something and handle it the same way in tones and values and stuff. You have already challenged yourself -- now go one step further. Remember how Morticia used to clip off the rose flowers and keep the stems and LEAVES. Just ONE li'l leaf - pleazzzze.

When are we gonna see green hubby and a landscape, huh? We're waitinggggggggggg. . .

Dark_Shades
01-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Mo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2003/monbridge.jpg

So something simplified but interesting would do lovely if you have one and thank you.

P.s. Hey gang, shall I cheat and tell Dawn I did this overnight? :D

You are such a cheat Mo :p LOLOL couldnt sleep so popped in here time.. 3.13am

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 12:02 AM
Okay, boy those tips really worked. I had a perfect likeness going in the sketch. The laying in of color has again become a major challenge, one stroke he's there, the next stroke hee's gone, a few strokes later it starts looking like him again...

How the heck do you paint in lots of wrinkles?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2003/My_DH_-_wip.jpg

Here's a color image of the ref photo:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2003/john_on_duty_2001.jpg

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

KarenU
01-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Mikki...I think you did a FABULOUS job on the portrait...it looks wonderful! :D What does hubby think?

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 01:38 AM
He grudgingly admits it looks a lot like him except he's sure he's more handsome, LOL.

It's not finished yet. I have to figure out how to get all those eye wrinkles in there.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Wow the pixies have been working away in the night whilst I was sleeping....... Bravo Mikki :clap: what an excellent portrait...... this is so much better than your initial sketch....... amazing!! - erm, Ha! I dont think you should put in ALL those wrinkles lol, DH wouldnt be too pleased...... more hint at them ...... cant quite explain how to do them, but perhaps think of lights and darks, maybe in such away hee hee.... you get the effect of lines of tree bark.........
Ive enclosed two links of mine, which may help

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71157&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69213

Perhaps its a DH phenomena!! - I know exactly what you mean lol, when I was doing mine, thought ahhhhh there he is...... start colouring...... bang!! he's gone

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Mo.
Lovely photo Dawn, but it's a blooming boat! I can't paint boats.

I'll have a try though, never say die hey? ;)
cheers,

Come on Mo, boats are easy lol, now if it was a Green boat I would have to agree with you - lolol

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 06:28 AM
Oh I dont know why Im hanging out with these guys, they are such a bunch of thieves and liars - I pulled back the curtains in my bedroom window ...... what do I see, but a squirrel down by the Brooke, eating one of My Green leaves....... from the Royal Rose no less! :eek: ... I call for the 'Maid of Honour' - geri, no where to be seen, probably drunk somewhere ..... drinking all that wine that she wouldnt serve.... well to others that is ..... race down the stairs......... fly past the huge fireplace ..... only to see our family heirloom that was hung there has disappeared!!! ....... Mo, is claiming SHE painted it....... but if you look closely in the right hand corner you will see the signature Constable :eek: .... Mo Constable doesnt ring true does it!!! - I raced to the phone and dialed our emergency no. and asked for the police - and reported the robbery. No sooner had I replaced the receiver when there was a rat-a-tat-tat on the castle door. I even had to answer it myself :eek: as Mo the handmaiden was no where to be seen, could hear geri the Maid of Honours snores coming from under the stairway ....... who should be at the door than non other ... Detective Mr Mikki (alias Sean Connery).... in tow was non other than MO!! ..... Detective Mikki said he'd found her in the Castle grounds with non other than the......... GameKeeper!!, she told the unlikely story of she was looking for rabbits!! ... I think she is non other than Lady Chattertilly - so many lies and deceptions in here ;)

sunny
01-06-2003, 06:39 AM
WOW Mikki!!!

You doing a great job with the portrait. I don't know if you need to put the wrinkles in...but if you going to..try to continue with the shadow colors you have around the eyes, cheeks ets., kinda draw and fade them into the lighted areas.

You handled all the tones very nicely:clap: :clap:

sunny
01-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Mo,

Your bridge painting is fantastic!!! You've been holding out on us!! Your going to be surprised at what your capable of doing...
:clap:

Dawn, you're even funny in the morning....I do believe the court jester gig belongs to you...;) I have to go get my cofffeee:D

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 07:04 AM
ohhhh some nice photos....... like the farm Karen, ...... interesting trees .... Mikki could I try that one with the Clematis in it?

... Mo you did a great job with your bridge.... love the brickwork detail in it and the little white houses. Can see why it took you so long

Pastel Limitations

Mikki I dont know enough about Pastels to be truthful ...... first I ever bought or tried was about 8 years ago.... I only ever painted a couple of things with them, though I liked them.... dont even know what they were called....DS took them to school and they are there now.
DH bought me a gift set from a departmental type store (WH Smiths to you Mo lol) again they have no name us such, but I liked them..... quite thin sticks and hard, this is what I basically started with in here.... I liked the work of is it Colin..... Colin Bradbury in here..... liked he's animal portraits and he uses Faber-Castell Pastel Pencils..... so I thought if its good enough for him lol its good enough for me...... you could order through him too.... and he's in the UK........ Despite what other UK artists say...... I find it near on IMPOSSIBLE to get art supplies which is pretty much surprising seeing as I live so near to London - but thats the case..... me and DH spent hours tracking down a hint of any art supplies and driving round. Mo .... been meaning to ask you ....... where do you get all yours ... they all ended up the same....... NO Choice!! ... one set of pastels.... one Pastel Pad of paper..... normally Ingres.... so thats what I use. I found some Windsor and Newton portrait pastels and bought them........ dont like them...... too chunky........ feel like Im painting with a rock.... love the smoothness of them.... but wont ever use them........ found some FC half softs...... lovely colours..... toooo soft for my liking..and still a tad too chunky... again I have no control.... wont use them......so more money wasted - had been speaking to Karen, especially after seeing her wonderful still lifes ...... she suggested for me Nupastels.... so Im going to order them from Dick Blick :clap: .... and some black paper.......... and anything else lolol ....... yup so lol to answer in a nutshell ...... its the lack really of obtaining different brands and the knowledge to know what type I would prefer........ but have become dissatisfied on the limitation of Pastel Pencils - cor dont I yak :)

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 07:07 AM
Lol Sunny..... didnt see you there......... how are you D: .... I was too busy yakking...... Ill trundle away while you get your coffee lol

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 07:13 AM
Couple more things lol before I shut up ..... hee hee..... arent you pleased Im not at work today :D

Many thanks for all your kind comments on my rose and greens lol - am quite pleased with how it turned out........ and you were alllll tooooo kind..... feel that I have cheated really as....
Im know I STILL COULD NOT handle a Landscape - could not handle a mass of green

Question On say using my boat picture...... how would I approach doing the shrubbery in the foreground on the right.... it just looks a mess to me ..... I dont know how to approach it ..... perhaps some of you could try a thumbnail sketch in pastels of it ..... and let me see how you tackle it
Karens project 'Representing Historical' was a start in an eye opener of how people interrupt things ........ a little light flickered on for me in that one lol

Thanks

meowmeow
01-06-2003, 07:21 AM
Wow! Wow! Wow! Great portrait! Great landscape! ANd there was that great rose!
You people are all so talented....and modest!
It is also interesting to see what different supplies people are using.

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 09:11 AM
Thank you all for the fine praise but I still have a ways to go...

Dawn, thanks for the links to your beautiful portraits. I also followed the link in one of your threads to the Harley Brown website where I found a lesson on a lovely old gent with many similarities to my DH, so I have some more ideas how to proceed.

As to the lack of supplies...I live in a College town with two Universities and 4, coun 'e, 4, community colleges, all offering art programs. There are a number of art supply stores in the area, no one of which meets my needs. I have, therefore, turned to the web and online shopping ofr my needs. I find that for pastels, Art Supply Warehouse has the biggest selection and seem to have the best prices. they even carry a line of Colour Shapers.

I was not berating your use of pastel pencils. They surely account for your lovely soft images. And in fact I'm quite imressed with your ability to handle color with such a limited range as the pencils offer. I was only speaking to your dissatisfaction with the range of greens available to you in the pencils. I have:

60 Faber-Castell Pastel Pencils
48 Giaconda Pastel Pencils
96 piece set of Nupastels - hard pastels
100+ Rembrandt soft pastels
80 Sennelier soft pastels (half stick set - very soft, very chunky)
39 piece Great American Artworks Grey box (soft and creamy)
and a hand full of W&N, Schminke, etc.
(I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a 268 piece set of Yarka soft pastels I bought off E-Bay)

With all these, I still find often the color I wish for is not quite there. You might be doing the right thing by learning your pencils really well as you have and sticking with what you know.

Oh I also just got a box of Prismacolor Colored Pencils which I find work well in my sketchbook for planning compositions.

P.S. Please feel free to use any photo I've posted. The clematis and rail fence is a particular favorite of mine. Would love to see what you do with it. I would love to paint your boat scene when I get through all these challenges you have set me to. As for the shrubbery, I find a pointillist approach seems to work best. I block in the basic shapes and tones and then detail by "pouncing" in the color. Give the texture of leaves and the subtlties of the light play without having to draw every detail.

Well!...That wore out my fingers!

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 09:17 AM
Mikki .... I didnt think for a min you was berating me.... sorry if my reply came back sounding like that........ was just trying to explain how its all come about for me

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 09:49 AM
Dawn,

I zoomed in on the shrubbery in one of my paintings to give you an idea how I handle shrubbery. It also works for trees, I find.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2003/bushes.gif[/IMG]

Hope this gives you an idea of one way to approach them.

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Mikki..... that worked fine ....... think perhaps in my case I need some Pastels.... perhaps harder for with the lack of 'nice' greens and edges with pencils ..... will check out some sites for supplies :)

...... where is that Mo!!! - were all waiting on her now ...... she forget shes the handmaiden lol - come on girl get ya finger out!!

Brooke
01-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Morning Princess Mo -
Wadda you mean? No one brought you hot chocolate in bed this morning, and then had the nerve to make you answer the castle door yourself? That's outrageous. Someone, and I'm not saying who, should be thrown in the dungeon with nothing but all your green pastels since you don't really want 'em anyway.

I'd wondered where that darn squirrel had gone. He must have not liked the life of us commoners. He if just the type to think that royal walnuts are better than the peanuts I give him. There's just no pleasing the brat.

Now, seriously, about buying pastels and pastel stuff. Look at this link where you can order just about anything pastel related:
www.dakotapastels.com
They've got EVERYTHING! Get your bank card out and go crazy.

Mo.
01-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Okay, the armed guards finally caught up with after chasing the royal bunny all night, now I have a lot of catching up to do, the washing machine is fixed darn it, so no excuse not to do the washing.:mad:
Anyhooo, I hope you are ready for this, please don't fall about laughing it's only 2 hours progress on glass papers, so lots of building up to do yet. size is 12x10 pretty small,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2003/lane01.jpg
Sorry the pic is crooked. done in a rush Her right Highness was impatient.
Off to read all the post in the thread now.

ref pic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2003/countrylane.jpg

Mo.
01-06-2003, 04:53 PM
Forgot the ref pic hang about.

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Forgot the ref pic hang about.

*rolls Royal Eyes Upwards :rolleyes:

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 04:58 PM
This is the view from my bedroom window......... the Brooke is down there on the right...... see it!! -- there's that pesky Squirrel

Mo.
01-06-2003, 05:03 PM
That's no squirrel that's a monkey.

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Hooray for Mo.! Excellent start! Keep going now...

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 05:07 PM
*drumming fingers........

Ohhhhh decided to show up did ya ..........

ooooooh this is nice Mo ..... gonna be lovely...... if we dont all nod off while we are waiting for you *** drums fingers ....... did you take the pic

Mo.
01-06-2003, 05:09 PM
There have been so many posts here since my last visit, I don't think I'll ever be able to reply to all, but I want to say thank you Karen, Nikki and Dawn for the ref pics, I've saved them all, sorry I didn't get in here to see them, to busy chasing bunnies, not to mention squirrels and mokeys. I just wish Her 'ighness would get off her butt and look after her menagerie.
;)
:evil:

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Hope you will Post LOADSSSSSS of WIP's (please) ..... need to see how you attack the GREEN :D

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
There have been so many posts here since my last visit, I don't think I'll ever be able to reply to all, but I want to say thank you Karen, Nikki and Dawn for the ref pics, I've saved them all, sorry I didn't get in here to see them, to busy chasing bunnies, not to mention squirrels and mokeys. I just wish Her 'ighness would get off her butt and look after her menagerie.
;)
:evil:

Lolol

Thats the Maid of Honours job - geri, see how she's disappeared along with the wine :eek: :D

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 05:14 PM
MO!!! ...... its Mikki Not Nikki....... but ya bi-focals on :cool: ;)

Mo.
01-06-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks all, found the pic in an old album, forgotten now where it was taken, I think a few years ago in the Forest of Dean area. but it's come out rather dark here, it really is a lot lighter than shown.

Nikki, your portrait is great, what a difference to the sketch, glad all the tips helped you, I'll have to go some to catch up.
Did Hubby like it?

All those pastels Nikki, I only have about an unth of what you have, like Dawn I mainly use pencils, only in the last year have I been using Rembrandts, find them great.
Dawn, I buy most of my art materials in Cardiff, there's a great art shop there, it's a converted church and they stock a wonderful range of stuff, if you are ever stuck for anything let me know, I can always get it and post on to you.

Has anyone signed up for the Tarot Card project, I must find out more been assigned the 4 of Pentacles whatever that is.

Mo.
01-06-2003, 05:22 PM
MO!!! ...... its Mikki Not Nikki....... but ya bi-focals on :cool: ;)

Ooops sorry Mikki, tweren't me twas the keyboard!

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 06:15 PM
Okay, I was inspired by Harvey Brown and got really bold. Think I may have sacrificed some of the likeness but it is definitiely a more interesting painting now. By the way, I DID use a lot of green in this. Works very well for shading flesh tones. I'm still a lot more comfy with landscapes!

Portrait of John
Pastel on Pale Green MiTientes
16x12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2003/My_DH_-_final.jpg

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Sorry! I'll try again...

gmc
01-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Geri Hasn't disappeared!!!!

:evil: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, having a problem unloading:evil: Can we ask why??????:evil: :eek: ;) :eek:

gmc
01-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Seriously, I think I found "my" problem. Did you shut down all your equivelents to Zone Alarm and Anti-Virus things??

I tried to upload something this am to the January Project of yours and ended up with the same problem that I had the other night. Turned everything off and it uploaded well.

This has only been doing this since the last up-grade. Otherwise I had left Zone alarm on and it uploaded just fine.

geri

Mo.
01-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Geri Hi!

I also have Zone Alarm, but doesn't usual interfere with uploads or downloads, but tonight I tried to upload a ref pic which I made sure was within the size limit, but it was dumped, so had to resize it right down, second attempt was okay.

Course it could be the wine?:D

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 06:40 PM
I have been having this problem since before the upgrade. I think it is some corruption in my Adobe Photo program because when I go back to reopen the file I get a file error. Just used my Kodak program and it uploaded fine. I have come to rely on the uploader istead of using message attachments which almost never work for me.

Mo.
01-06-2003, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1mpete
[B]Okay, I was inspired by Harvey Brown and got really bold. Think I may have sacrificed some of the likeness but it is definitiely a more interesting painting now. By the way, I DID use a lot of green in this. Works very well for shading flesh tones. I'm still a lot more comfy with landscapes!

Portrait of John
Pastel on Pale Green MiTientes
16x12

WOWEEEE!!! Mikka This is an amazing difference, Can't do portraits??? Humph!! You are a natural. Who is Harvey Brown?

Post it in the portrait forum too.!! WELL DONE !!! Did DH like?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hope I can do as well with my meagre attempt at the landscape.

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Oh my goodness Mikki ....... what a difference in your portrait :clap: ...... lovvvvvve those eyes!! .... love the colours around it too...... excellent...... and you say this was on my thread somewhere lolol ...... ohhhh and to add insult, shes doing backgrounds too lolol

Mo - thanks for stationary offer - just ordered some stuff from Dick Blick tonight :eek: ..... but will let you know - thanks...... love the photo ...... cant wait for WIP's

Mo.
01-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Just had another look, those eyes are absolutely superb!!
You must be proud of this.

gmc
01-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Mikki,

You out did yourself. Be very proud!!!!
geri

Mo.
01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Mo - thanks for stationary offer - just ordered some stuff from Dick Blick tonight :eek: ..... but will let you know - thanks...... love the photo ...... cant wait for WIP's

AHHH Dawn, wish I'd known you were going to order on line, Heaton Cooper girl and also Ken Bromley. I had some CP's delivered to me from Ken Bromley, arrived within two days, and packed superbly.

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks Ladies. Yes I am very proud and astonished if the truth be known.

Dawn, the Harvey Brown link was on one of the threads you pointed me to for your portraits. Somebody gave you the link as an example of awesome pastel portraits. And boy they are!

Now I have to confess something...After my last post your comments indicated everyone thought that was the final. So after looking at Mr. Brown's site and reading through his lessons, I decided I was going to get bold and if I lost the likeness, so what. One of the things I do not like about portrait work is that in an attempt at a likeness, I get very timid and end up with a result that is dull and overworked, not art at all. To my surprise, when I approached my subject the same way I am learning to approach my landscapes, which do not have to have a likeness, I ended up with what to me is an artistic painting. I love the painting. John liked it better all smeary.

Some of the details in his face are from life, not the reference photo, which helped it for me. He has gnarly, out of control bushy eyebrows that just had to be in the painting to make it him. Also, the photo is over a year old, summer 2001, and he has gotten much craggier and I couldn't let him remain so baby-faced.

Anyway, I've done it! One successful portrait. Now I can say, yes I can do portraits, then go paint landscapes. Cheers, girls!

Mo.
01-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Mikki, it was me that asked about Harvey Brown, Why do I keep thinking about motorbikes when I type that name, there's a link there somewhere. (shakes head) Anyhoo, I think this little challenge has done us good, you have found that you can do portraits, Her 'Ighness has found that she CAN paint green, and me....Well I think you are still waiting. Won't be long I hope! ;)

Great work Mikki, Great work Dawn!! :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
[BHer 'Ighness has found that she CAN paint green, and me....Well I think you are still waiting. Won't be long I hope! ;)

Great work Mikki, Great work Dawn!! :clap: :clap: [/B]

No Mo, I can paint two small leaves and a rose bud :crying: .. and a flower now :) ...... cant paint landscapes:crying: :crying: ... wish it was as easy for me as Mikki found portraits

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 07:22 PM
I agree Mo. I think the challenge was a good thing. I like the projects because they make me step out of my comfortable box. With the projects, though, I may try a different subject but I still tend to go landscape. This direct challenge was much more personal and I committed to do what I was not comfortable doing as did each of you. Not only that, since it's our thread, we could chat, joke around, grump and just generally get to know each other without worrying about taking up the whole thread.

Yeah, I keep wanting to say "Harley", too!

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Agree with you Mikki....... was enjoyable ........... I wouldnt of picked a flower albeit with a little green.... so ok hands up I feel I cheated ....... perhaps we could do a similar thing some time

Mo.
01-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Know what you mean, I'm still on a struggle. :) I've signed up for the Tarot Card project, and it's scared me stupid, I haven't a clue where I'm heading, but it's a challenge, and I feel that challenges stretches the imagination , abilities and talents even if it is not what we are comfortable with, knowing that we can rise to the challenge and produce a work of art at the end of it has to be good , but not only for our confidence and moral but, knowing that we do have the skills of an artist who is not afraid to step out of a comfortable niche.

Hey Princess, how about painting a vase of flowers, or better still a Garden of flowers! :evil:

Mo.
01-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey!! Who the heck is Harvey Brown??

Dark_Shades
01-06-2003, 07:52 PM
on one of my links for Mikki above on my portraits threads ...... theres a link to Harvey Brown portrait artist ....... had been seeking out peoples work I like etc ..........if its the one I think it is there were some Native American portraits...... wonderful stuff...... will have to refresh my own memory and look for myself lol

Mo .....quite like that idea of a vase of flowers :D ..... wont feel happy till I conquer a landscape though :crying: .... perhaps when my new pastels come :D ....... lol might try my boat pic hee hee

dont forget Mo....... you got to do this landscape...... the photo is wonderful

Yes I saw the project and backed off ....... what on earth are pentagles lol

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 07:54 PM
earlier in this thread, Dawn gave links to two of per beautiful portraits. I went and read both threads end to end. In one of them someone mentioned this Harvey Brown who is a world renown portrait artist who is a pastellist. So I went to his sight! His work is awe-inspiring and he has several lessons on the sight. Here is the link:

http://www.harleysworkshop.com/

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Son of a Gun! I just noticed it IS Harley!:rolleyes:

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I looked at the project and even went to the listed links but decided I know nothing about Tarot and even after lots of reading on those sites I reamin unenlightened. Guess that project is not for me.

KarenU
01-06-2003, 09:00 PM
My goodness, you guys have been busy! :D

Mikki....stupendous job on the portrait. Harley Brown is fabulous...you should check out his book "Eternal Truths for Every Artist" it's VERY good! I learned so much from that book. It's one I pick up often to read.

Mo...your landscape is really coming along. I just love that ref pic you used and I'm going to be looking forward to seeing more progress pics! :D

Mikki Petersen
01-06-2003, 11:02 PM
Thank you Karen! I'm completely surprised and quite pleased with myself. When you overlaid the sketch and photo for me you pretty well guaranteed a likeness. Thank you.

I will look for Harley's book. I got so much benefit from just reading what he had to say on his website and studying his portraits, can't wait to find the book.

sunny
01-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Great job Mikki!:clap:

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 07:09 AM
..... reminded me (no insult intended lol) - of my first pastel I did 8 years ago with the pastels mentioned back in thread

its got greens in it lolol

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2003/Village.jpg

... just thought...... I could go in now and play with it some more :)

meowmeow
01-07-2003, 08:49 AM
What a terrific job you are doing on this landscape!
I guess this challenge is opening up new worlds for you people!
I can't wait to see how it all comes out!

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
01-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Hey Dawn! You've been holding out on us. Your landscape is very good and the greens are quite believeable. I think you are going to be really happy with the Nupastels. You can get all the detail that you get with pencils but still have more flexibility. Also, the selection of greens in the 96 piece set you ordered is quite adequate.

Mo.
01-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Okay this is the latest stage, any help you can give me now will be most appreciated, I empathise with our princess, I can't do greens either, probably because I've not got a good range of them, never having to use them much in the past.

Have to go and cook tea now, hope to finish this tonight.
So tips, advice anything to improve fire away.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2003/5154-lane02.jpg

Thanks all.

p.s. The yellow blob at the end of the lane is supposed to be a tree. Hah!!:D Help!

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 01:21 PM
~~~### Sings ....... I zzzzzz C trees of green, ...... blue roses too .....I see them bloom for me and you...... and I say to myself......... wotta wonderful worlddddddd

***** waits for the applause to die down :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo its no consolation but ya did better than me :D ........ I like it so far...... I like the little golden leaf front left ........ dont let the pesky squirrel see it though - keep going youre doing good

Mo.
01-07-2003, 05:24 PM
Thanks Princess, where's all the help when it's needed? Can't get the staff these days, probably all drinking geri's wine.
Tsk, Tsk, this means I have to battle it out all alone :crying: :crying:

sunny
01-07-2003, 05:41 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth Dawn...

Mo...the road looks terrific...don't change anything:) the yellow tree that you're having trouble with...make like the one thats on the same plane to the right...
you can use your artistic license...and play in our kingdom....change it , make it work with your painting. It doesn't have to match the reference pic...(just my thinking)

The only other thing I would touch..is the very first dark tree branch to the left...I would add a few lighter tones to break up the darkness.

You really have done a magniifiiant job:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mo.
01-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks sunny, I'm working on it right now, I agree about that tree, looks like the sun's dropped out of the sky. :D, will tone it down some, I've already added some lighter tones to the tree branch too, it wasn't until I saw it posted that I realised how dark it was.

BTW Dawn, Pentacles are five sided star shapes, I have to paint the four of pentacles, so 4 pentacles in the painting, then I have to show somehow or other someone or something holding on tight to what he/it has. :D Conjures up no end of possibilities.:evil:

Mo.
01-07-2003, 07:13 PM
Well after having a luxurious soak in the bath, I tackled this some more, getting pretty fed up with it now, so I'm done, unless?..........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2003/5154-lane03.jpg

I don't want to look at green for yonks. :D

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 07:20 PM
been in ther all this time...... you'll come out all wrinklie lol .... this has turned out lovely Mo :clap: well done....... I couldnt of done it better meself :evil: ..... Just love those orange colours!!

_ did you enjoy the challenge? ........ whats the next one going to be ..... ohhhhh bit of gossip lol, Mikki has posted her portrait in erm.... guess....... yup 'Portraits Forum' lolol...... but she said we prefer to do, ..... Portraits ...... and STILL-LIFES ..... ohhhhh eck!!, is that going to be the next challenge :(

.... the colours are sooooooooo pretty

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Ok Im putting on my 'Landscape and Greens expert hat' now....... wouldnt the trees at the back..... be diff colour..... sort of blueish... or not same colour as the others :D :evil: :confused: :cat: :cool: :rolleyes: :( :) ;) :o :eek:

Mo.
01-07-2003, 07:29 PM
I have one answer only to your critic......

Bog off

:D :D :evil: :angel::eek: :eek: :mad: ;) :)

Mo.
01-07-2003, 07:33 PM
been in ther all this time...... you'll come out all wrinklie lol .... this has turned out lovely Mo :clap: well done....... I couldnt of done it better meself :evil: ..... Just love those orange colours!!

_ did you enjoy the challenge? ........ whats the next one going to be ..... ohhhhh bit of gossip lol, Mikki has posted her portrait in erm.... guess....... yup 'Portraits Forum' lolol...... but she said we prefer to do, ..... Portraits ...... and STILL-LIFES ..... ohhhhh eck!!, is that going to be the next challenge :(

.... the colours are sooooooooo pretty

I was wrinkly before I went in! Waaa! Was hoping the water would fill them out! :D
Thanks for the comps, yes I did sort of enjoy it, I always enjoy a challenge, Whatever gave Mikki the idea we like STILL LIFES? Oh eck!!! Indeed, No, no, I'm not going down that road, noI'm not, I'm not.............

Dark_Shades
01-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
I have one answer only to your critic......

Bog off

:D :D :evil: :angel::eek: :eek: :mad: ;) :)

funny enough that was going to be my answer to you on something you put on a thread of mine....... but I was TOO much of a lady to said it :p

.... just for that then...... STILL LIFE CHALLENGE IT IS!! .... dont ask Sunny lolol shes too damn good :D

Mo.
01-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Well I cannot for the life of me think that I would have passed such a comment on one of yours to deserve such an answer!:angel:

Still Life! BAH!! I did one, I did one!! last months project, a statue counts as a still life doesn't it?

Brooke
01-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Mo, the landscape is beautiful - really. But (there's always a but), if you can stand to do it and WANT to do it, I'd suggest a few really dark greens among the leaves. And when you're finished, SEND MY SQUIRREL HOME. I miss him.
Brooke

Mo.
01-07-2003, 08:03 PM
WAAAAAA!!! :crying: :crying: I jsut cannot face any more Green!

I butted your squirrel out of my gardne two hours ago!

Thanks Brooke, know what you mean, but when I tried applying a really dark green it looked dirty and drab, so decided to leave well alone. This was taken with a flash, so may look lighter than it really is.

Mikki Petersen
01-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Mo, you have done quite a good job on this landscape. I like all the bold color. Your perspective is good and your greens are quite nice. AND you have a good enough eye to see that green things in landscapes are not just green. I know this was a frustrating challenge for us all, but we've all accomplished something that broadens our skills. To be able to do something does not require one to do it, however, to not be able to do something excludes the choice. When I was young and painting, I always chose my subjects by whether or not I already knew I could do them (fear of failure). Since, I've matured some thirty years, I now choose my subjects by their potential as a good painting, often choosing the subject I'm most afraid of trying. I have a complete disaster sometimes, especially when I step into the acrylic medium, but mostly, I am so excited when when a work turns out well because I know I have accomplished something.

To both you and Dawn, I owe an apology. I wasn't sure if you both stuck mostly to portraits so I did not want to exclude other possibilities. I certainly meant no insult.

As for the next challenge, I don't much do still lifes because I'm so enrapt by the beauty of nature that I have more paintings to do than time to do them (and now I have portraits, too). I would be willing to try a still life though. We could always get our entries in to the unoffical "veggie" project that has been running through this forum!

Mikki Petersen
01-08-2003, 05:05 AM
I think it's lovely Mo. You've done yourself proud! I hereby present you with the Green Award of the day! Now go paint a portrait and relax!

sunny
01-08-2003, 08:40 AM

.... just for that then...... STILL LIFE CHALLENGE IT IS!! .... dont ask Sunny lolol shes too damn good :D

:rolleyes: I can be bad:rolleyes: :evil: ;) good is very subjective:D

Dark_Shades
01-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by sunny

:rolleyes: I can be bad:rolleyes: :evil: ;) good is very subjective:D

.. this may be so Sunny....... but I cant be as Good as you even on one of your bad days lolol

Redsy333
01-08-2003, 10:46 PM
:evil: LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Pentigals, Harvey, and Nikki......all your work is Great!! Even if you all need to back away from the caffeine and get Bi-focals!!!heheheeeeeeee

Bloody hell, Who took DS's OFF switch? Shes like the friggin energizer bunny!!!LOLLLLLL Took me foreverrrrrrrrr to get through this thread!!!;) Just teasing

Great work Gang!!!, So whats next ??? (Redsy casually inquires, sipping wine with gmc;) ) heheee I love all this, its like watching a tennis game....back and forth, back and forth....:D

Im getting old waiting on ya all...let me see some more wonderful paintings:D ya slackers:D:D:D

Mikki Petersen
01-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Hold on just a minute there Redsy...when did this become a spectator sport? Let's see more of your paintings!:D

Redsy333
01-08-2003, 11:48 PM
LOL Im in Artistic Muse Mode at the moment:D
Actually working on Project catchups!!! lol gotzzz lotzzz to finish;) So I muse and peruse the going ons!!!!

Mikki Petersen
01-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Boy, do I understand that! I have five projects to do including my own project for January! Meanwhile, I'm working on a landscape that has nothing to do with any of them! Muse on, my lady!

Mo.
01-09-2003, 09:02 AM
D'ya hear that?:eek: :eek: Slackers she call us, SLACKERS the nerve of the woman!:mad:

Where's Geri? I need some to recover!:D