PDA

View Full Version : Diana's Twelve

dianapotts
12-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm in!

Be back in a couple of hours. I'll do one of one doll and then two of another doll since I am behind.

Diana

DrDebby
12-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Diana, there is no behind until January 1 and maybe not even then. :lol: You have all month.

virgo68
12-03-2010, 04:26 AM
:lol: Diana you are keen and fired up! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with ;)

dianapotts
12-03-2010, 09:02 AM
This is good that I have until January 1st. And I am fired up, also. I have a couple of hours this morning to do the one that is perfect as the ONE.

BBS

Be back soon,

Diana

dianapotts
12-05-2010, 09:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2010/182469-Tiny_Forlorn_Doll.jpg

A graphite drawing of a tiny, old, ragdoll in an 8" x 10 1/2 black bound sketchbook.

This is my sketch for the one item. I think it would be fun for my journal challenge here to be all dolls. It would also be fun to have the drawings jump out and be actual works of art for sale on eBay. In other words this is a study.

Enjoy!

Diana

DrDebby
12-05-2010, 09:24 PM
She's very cute. Lovely job.

dianapotts
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you Debby.

Diana

RainySea
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
aw. . . nice. . . I love rag dolls

JTMB
12-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Wonderful doll, Diana!

Chuckcamo
12-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Nice doll, like how you did the pattern on the dress, great job!

Elain
12-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Lovely doll. i want to pick her up.

dianapotts
12-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Lovely doll. i want to pick her up.

She fits in the palm of your hand and is so delicate now.

Thank all of you for you kind comments. They mean a lot. :)

Diana

robertsloan2
12-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Diana, your doll drawings have such gorgeous values, delicacy and accuracy. I've seen them before on LJ and this one's just as great. The fabric falls so natural, the depth and textures you achieve are wonderful. Cool that you're theming yours entirely on dolls, this ought to get wild by the time you get to the high numbers!

dianapotts
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Diana, your doll drawings have such gorgeous values, delicacy and accuracy. I've seen them before on LJ and this one's just as great. The fabric falls so natural, the depth and textures you achieve are wonderful. Cool that you're theming yours entirely on dolls, this ought to get wild by the time you get to the high numbers!

How is it that you always know what to say to people. It's always right on.

Thank you, this is so supportive.

Diana

CandAlArt
12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Dolls! How original! I am looking forward to all your sketches. There's something so pleasant about viewing a doll or stuffed animal, even at "our age." haha!

dianapotts
12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
And they are universal. Everybody likes them. So in season, too for the holidays.

seejay
12-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Your doll is a great start.

dianapotts
12-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm home now almost for a whole week. I'll be finishing this project sometime during this week. In between takes, I am doing up a conte drawing with some detailing with colored pencil of these dolls and setting them up on eBay. It took me a while to set my space up for this. I also did a practise session in conte to warm up myself again by workng from a Leonardo da Vinci piece in conte and gesso. I also do silverpoint and worked for hours the other day to get the same effect as his drawing with silverpoint in it. They'll be posted elsewhere on these boards.

I'll be back in a few hours.

Diana

eyepaint
12-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Keep them coming :)

dianapotts
12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I just figured out that my drawing table can be laid flat in front of me. It ends up being the right height to display scenes in front of me. I have a formica long board that is wall unit deep that I can lean on the table to draw on. I have a futon chair that is big which means I can sit crosslegged instead of on my legs and I can sit crosslegged for hours. Finding my work place situation for long hours workability has been quite a task. I have gotten my home this winter so the living room part of it is warm enough to work in.

Also I just Googled the "twleve days of Christmas" and found that it starts on December 25th. So I still have plaenty of time to start this project. I think I would like to do it as part of the celebration of Christmas this year. I'll still post art in my sketchbook as practise for it. I have been working on conte and silverpoint techniques on some extra paper I have laying around that isn't good enough for actual art meaning it has smudges and whatnot.

I'm posting so that you know I am still here and thoroughly engaged in the process at hand which is making art for the "Twelve Days of Christmas."

Diana

dianapotts
12-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Before going on to the second sketch in my sketchbook I had wanted to make an actual piece with it. And in the process I wanted to learn another art technique. I may as well post here how that is going.

It's a 5" x 7" wood panel with rice glue gesso, silverpoint, Chinese gold ink hand rubbed from an inkstick and some pigments.

Here she is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2010/182469-Tiny_Forlorn_Doll_detailing_3.jpg

Meet Priscilla!

Diana

virgo68
12-27-2010, 06:29 PM
WOW! I haven't heard of those techniques/materials before. It looks like it has an "aged" look about it -well done Diana.

DrDebby
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I've not heard of rice glue gesso. How is that different from gesso?

Interesting mixture of media. She is still lovely. Well done.

dianapotts
12-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Dr. Debby,

Well you know how traditional gesso has rabbit glue as the binder? It's great but it is too acidic for paper, so I experimented with Korean sticky brown rice by cooking it down and straining out the glue from the chaff and then worked the same proportions of water to calcium carbonate to pigment. It works just as well and you don't have to sit there and keep the temperature correct like rabbit glue.

I like to play with recipes with food. I guess I will do that with art supplies also.

I work from scratch. It's more fun and cheaper.

Diana