PDA

View Full Version : Macro Floral Series #11 ~ Jageo's Strawflower WIP由EACTIVATED

mustcreate
01-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Many thanks to JA (jageo) for the reference photo.....and the challenge to paint it!! lol I am thoroughly enjoying it!!

I'm not sure if I will get much more done today.....it's going to be a Mom~Daughter day today with a trip to the local science museum for some virtual surgery:D and then maybe a movie :)

title: Macro Floral Series #11 ~ Jageo's Strawflower

size: 8"x8"

300lb Arches watercolour paper

all Winsor Newton paints...so far I've used : French Ultramarine Blue, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Winsor Lemon, Winsor Yellow and Quinacridone Red. it's only a matter of time before Antwerp Blue sneaks in there too!! lol :)

Here is a link to the first 9 in the series....http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75625

And the link to #10....http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76488

thanks for peeking and as always comments and critiques welcomed :)

em

Reference photo posted first....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2003/strawflowers.cropwc.jpg

Started by laying in my usual underpainting to show form and shadow.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2003/DSC02990wip1.jpg
Underpainting completed.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2003/DSC02991wip2.jpg
Added some warmth with Winsor Lemon.....AND punched up the shadow areas because I felt they were lacking impact.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2003/DSC02992wip3.jpg
Straight from the tube Permanent Alizarin Crimson for the shadowed areas. At this point I'm not really concerned with colour accuracy as far as the reference photo......I'm just looking for something that is pleasing to my eye :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2003/DSC02993wip4.jpg

bswilson1147
01-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Thank you for posting this demonstration. It is always an inspiration to see how others approach their work. I also paint a lot of flowers and seeing this re-inforces my way of thinking.

Good work!:clap: :clap: :clap:

tigre255
01-03-2003, 11:47 AM
EM this is beautiful.....waiting for next step....:clap: :clap: :clap:

pampe
01-03-2003, 11:50 AM
STUNNING!!!!!

*thought she was only doing 9*

:confused:

mustcreate
01-03-2003, 11:57 AM
thanks for the kind words Betty :)

thanks Barb :) my daughter is sleeping in so I have more painting time....I'll post another pic soon

thanks Pam :) the original goal was 9....but I am still enjoying them and have more drawn out to paint. besides, I am considering printing a poster of the best of 12 of them for my show in the spring and I want to replace the sunflower so I have a few more to go yet. :)

mchew
01-03-2003, 12:13 PM
I've been known for my patience in painting details BUT I must say you beat me hands down.... this is wonderful work... WOW!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very interesting to see how you painted in the values first and then glazed in the colour of the petals...

Thanks for sharing your WIP.

mustcreate
01-03-2003, 01:59 PM
thank you Marvin, I'm glad you are enjoying the WIP

patience? strawflowers DEMAND patience!!!:D

I've dry glazed in Quinacridone Red on the petals and they are pretty much done except for some final "blacks" for the darkest darks when everything else is completed. Laid in some underpainting for the background and added in Antwerp Blue on the foliage areas. This is it for now.....I'm soon headed out the door for my virtual surgery experience :D

thanks for commenting and peeking

em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jan-2003/DSC00001wip5.jpg

Margie L
01-03-2003, 02:15 PM

Em!!

This is Totally beautiful!! I sure wish that I could see the series in person or even on a bigger screen. I just know that your macros are even more stunning in person. Each one knocks just my socks off. ;)

Now you have teased us twice and have to tell us what kind of virtual surgery you are having done--extra hands to get more painting done? LOL
Margie

jageo
01-03-2003, 08:06 PM
I LOVE it ! This is exactly what I saw *in* the photo, but wasn't able to do myself. You da' man, Emily! Even the "underpainting completed" is a cool enough work to display.
The saying goes "Those who can't do, teach". How about instead "Those who can't portray, get somebody else to do it" ?? :D
Don't even consider having a second thought at all about the colour, they grow in every shade of red imaginable. - and orange, and purple, and white and yellow.....

JA

Little Old Lady
01-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Another great one! Your attention to detail amazes me. Virtual surgery????
JoAnn

taghera
01-03-2003, 09:26 PM
WOW etc etc etc.....:)

dspinks
01-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Another Em WIP - got back online just in time! This is stupendous!
Debra

chookbrown
01-04-2003, 01:12 AM
Hey there EM!!! Another beauty for us to behold.. I love watching you work as I am a huge fan of macro flowers.. Looking forward to seeing this and the next and the next...

Cheers,

Chooky :D:D:D

painterbear
01-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Em,

I love strawflowers, I used to grow lots of them when we lived in California. They make great dried flowers for winter bouquets too.

Anyhow, this is coming along great! Think it may even turn out to be my favorite of all your wonderful macros (so far at least).

Your WIP is so-o-o informative to follow along. (I'm going to give it a rating.)

Sylvia :clap:

madmum
01-04-2003, 07:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2003/jawdrop.gif

WOW!!!!!!! Em it's perfect! Can't wait to see the finish. (this is my first post since my enforced abstinence from WC! Couldn't have chosen a better thread :D )

Ruth

Uschi
01-04-2003, 10:52 AM
FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am amazed at how well that fairly dark blue underpainting worked.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this process!!!!
Uschi

JanJones
01-04-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks for showing the steps taken to do this flower. It is just wonderful!

Gia
01-04-2003, 11:06 AM
Hi Em,
admiring your techniques...knowing I could never do this...just beautiful...

Olga
01-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Em!

This is my second attempt to tell you that this is beautiful (I got distracted and my post vanished in thin air and then there was a series of interruptions). But--the strwflower is still here and it is still beautiful! The way the light catches on the petals and the center of the flower is just wonderful. And I love those touches of bluish-purple in the middle.

Thanks too for posting the WIP--I just keep staring at the stages and trying to absorb. I am actually experimenting with a purple underpainting for a bouquet I am painting right now, so my interest is kind of immediate. One thing I can be sure of, though, is that it will not look anywhere as good as yours.

Olga

al22
01-04-2003, 12:46 PM
Colors are beautiful, great depth and dimension......... a worthy pageant entry!!
........al

babybrush
01-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Sweet!! i love your macros!

Bethany

surreal
01-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Very beautiful.
:D

mustcreate
01-04-2003, 02:41 PM
oh my!!

thank you all so much. I was dumped yesterday by my daughter (she got a better offer :p :)) and didn't go for virtual surgery (for those that asked it's a display at our local science museum that lets you perform surgery via a computer program. my daughter wants to be a surgeon and wanted to try it out :))

So I had a chance to finish up the strawflower......but I couldn't post the final photo because the site went down. :( oh well, it gave me a chance to draw out a new painting...it's not a macro, but I'm not finished with them yet!! lol

I laid in a wash of yellow and then once it was dry I touched Antwerp Blue and spread it around. Very simple and in my opinion it was all that was needed. After that I laid in a few darks for the deepest shadowed areas and outlined a few petals that were wimpy.

it's done and it works really well with the rest of the series....I have them all lined up against a wall lol :)

thanks for peeking and thanks so much for commenting

em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2003/jageostrawflower8x8wc.jpg

kaybob99
01-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Really enjoyed this WIP. I hope you do more. I checked out your other Floral Series. All beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

tigre255
01-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Em ......all I can say is WOW what a flower.....this turned out great as I knew it would.....thanks for the WIP ....it was great to see this go from white paper to such a beatiful flower......

jageo
01-04-2003, 03:54 PM
I feel like a proud mama. I turned out so well.
JA

mustcreate
01-04-2003, 04:04 PM
thank you Sandy, Barb and JA:)

I'm glad you liked it JA. As I told you before, I don't normally use reference photos that aren't my own....but this one seemed to be from my point of view and it was easy to do :) thanks again for the photo :)

em

MALARKEY
01-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Wonderful painting, thanks for the step by step :D

your tinyhead is great too !

Starsprite
01-04-2003, 06:15 PM
WOW!!! Thanks for the WIP Em!! Stunning!!:clap: :clap:

mustcreate
01-04-2003, 09:31 PM
thank you Sandy!! it's nice to hear from you :)

thank you Patty :)

em

paintedhorses
01-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Wow!! Thanks for showing the steps in this painting! It is sooo informative, and I am learning, happily learning. :D

Jeri

:cat:

Lady Carol
01-04-2003, 10:37 PM
I think this is your best yet.

Thanks for the WIP. It was very informative. What color did you use for the under painting?

Carol

mustcreate
01-04-2003, 11:37 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed the WIP thread Jeri and Carol. And I sure do appreciate you letting me know that you did....it makes it all worthwhile :)

For my purple underpaintings I always use French Ultramarine Blue and Permanent Alizarin Crimson.

em

lpb
03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Another breathtaking demo of how to utilize a purple underpainting! :music: Bumping up for others to enjoy. For those interested, mustcreate has several other flowers demos in the DEMOS thread at the top of the Learning Zone. :angel:

HarvestMoon
03-01-2008, 07:52 PM
this is so fantastic.... LOVE the step by step demo...

painterbear
03-02-2008, 05:27 AM
Another of our "oldies but goodies" threads showing em's wonderful underpainting technique brought back to the top for our newcomers to the Watercolor Forum to enjoy.

Sylvia

hpthecat
03-02-2008, 01:14 PM
This really is amazing....having now seen this, I am stumulated to try it. I think it would help me understand value relationships better for sure!

painterbear
03-02-2008, 03:24 PM
It is amazing when you try it for the first time. I used it with a French street scene once and it was fun to see the purple disappear as I added the body colors in the painting.

Try it and show us our step-by-step progress when you do. :cool:

Sylvia

olliewood0702
03-02-2008, 03:43 PM
It's always great to see these "blasts from the past."!!