PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Challenge of DECEMBER 2010

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Oil Pastel Challenge- December 2010

Hello! Welcome to the monthly oil pastel challenge for December 2010! Unfortunately for you all :evil: (I'm just kidding :lol: ) , I will be your host for this month. Itís my first time doing this. I pretty much took some simple photography for you all to choose from (no worries about copyright infringement here ;) ). Donít expect it easy from me the next time I host a challenge. ;) Thanks Pat for letting me put in 4 images. :)

ÖOkay, two images doesnít look so easy to me.

Anyway....

You donít have to join in, but remember you are always more than welcome to come in to show your work, comment or both... or just lurk around and be amazed by the outcome of all participating artists in this thread.

You donít have to try to copy the photography as exact and you can approach it however you want it. You can always crop, modify, add a man eating mushroom into the work, and so fourth. Use any style you want. It is your very own unique touch.

Not required to, but it would be nice if you posted told us what surface you used, dimensions, and the brand of oil pastels you use. Of course, if you mixed media, that's welcome as well.

I apologize for mediocre photography, but I did get photos for those who do still life, landscape, the figure, etc. Hopefully theyíre OK enough to use. Hereís a little bit about each image:

1. Itís an old pomegranate floating in a wine glass of water and lots ní lots of red all over. Side note: I was trying to find a green sheet and I couldn't though to compliment the pomegranate more, but then I thought "They can always be change colors in their work." ;)

2. This photo takes place in Joshua Tree National Park a couple years back. I cannot remember the name of that rock formation (neither do I remember if it has one). I apologize for it being the tiniest photo in the batch. I took it off my old Myspace album. Yet, canít leave my landscape lovers hanging.

3. Just a simple relaxation pose along with a holiday teddy by the side of my head. Reminder to self: Go back to the gym.

4. Just a grayscale image of my motherís porcelain dolls with our bird, Luigi. Sheís such a doll herself.

Now, enough of me flapping my gums out and you may begin!

Good luck! Happy holidays! Have fun!

Pat Isaac
12-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Thanks for hosting, Crystal. Really like those dolls.

Pat

Amedee
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Wow, these really are challenges for me as a beginner in OP... I love the pictures! Probably I'll start with the glass since I've never done a translucent object in OPs ...

oldrockchick
12-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Interesting collection I should do at least one. I havent' done life drawing for over a year and never ( I dont' think) in oil pastle. You are very brave I could neve do life modelling.

gakinme
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Ooh, Crystal, you look very pretty in your relaxed pose. A very classical body type. I'm definitely painting you. And love that rock. Thank you for the photos.

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Awesome. Got some takers. I thought I completely blowed at finding subjects to shoot, but I guess I was wrong. :D

Hey, I just recently received notice that the nudes gonna be taken down (Sorry, guys, but at least you guys still have 3 other photos to choose from). Yet, I still see it posted and I don't know how to edit it out and not sure if Pat tried to take it out yet because I still see it.

gakinme
12-02-2010, 04:22 PM
What? Why does the nude have to be taken down? Awww.... I was hoping to do that one.

robertsloan2
12-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Crystal, thank you for hosting - and posing! That's a wonderful reference, your pose is so classical and the light gives you plenty of interesting shadows. You're beautiful and I only hope my OP sketches will do justice to your photo. Can we use these after December too? I may want to try several studies and they're all great photos.

Also even if the nude has to be taken down, can Sandra and I still draw from it? That's a fantastic photo and I'd love to do figure studies, could always post them separately on their own threads with a butt icon. That's probably why it needs to be taken down, the butt icon thing allows people to decide whether to see a nude or not and in a general challenge that'd shut out anyone who doesn't want to visit butt icon things.

Maybe you could include it on its own thread, the December Optional Challenge with a butt icon on the top, once a moderator removes it? Would that work for the admins?

RainySea
12-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Interesting pictures of a variety of subjects. The thread does have a butt icon, so maybe they won't take it away now?

gakinme
12-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Yeah, Crystal, if they do take it down, could Robert and I still study it and draw from it please and perhaps post it at the sketch thread here?

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-03-2010, 12:26 AM
OK, I got another notice from Pat. Pat said it was okayed by a higher admin, but I guess there's conflicts behind the scene (not sure what it really was, though I got a couple different opinions from a couple FB contacts about it to guess what it is). I guess it's staying up I think. If it happened to offend anyone, I apologize.

Robert and Sandra, taken down or not, of course it's OK to study. Remember, I wouldn't put it up if I didn't want it studied or looked at and can be studied anytime . :)

I wasn't planning on posting any nudes of myself or anyone else (If anyone else let me photograph them in their bare form that is) for when my next hosting comes up in June, but just to be on the safe side and not offend, I won't post any photography that exposes parts considered private in future challenges. I am aware it wasn't necessary to put that up, but I thought having a simple laid back figure woulda been nice to have in the OP challenge though since I couldn't recall seeing one when I lurk the site (Off topic, I got a couple past challenges WIPs in my closet I never finished. I found a painting of a squirrel from hell and I can't find the original challenge for it, and a portrait of someone's dog). It is always fun to use figures as a base and put some clothes on them.

By the way, thanks for the bonus flatter comments on the picture, guys. *blush*

Robert, I just thought of that now that some would want to see the rest of the photos and see if they want to participate to paint other photos, but then they see a butt icon and don't wanna enter into it the thread. Then again, I figured it wouldn't be too much since this is an art site with a lot of nude studies (this probably best suited for people in figure forum). But still, I won't post something like this in later challenges.

I'm gonna quit mumbling and paint the wine glass with the pomegranate. I just hope I get some colored sticks of Sennelier so I can make the pomegranate colored, and the rest grayscale. If not, I'll oil paint the pomegranate.

Thanks for the compliments of the photo selections I posted as well. I hope next time I post more challenging things. :evil:

ElleZee
12-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Awesome ref's, Crystal! and thank you for posting your nude pose!!! :thumbsup: I'm going to support you and make sure I participate this month!! Gotta break out those oilies....it's been too long....I've never done the human figure in OP's, only charcoal and pencil. Plus, you're inspiring me to get back to another life drawing class!

Pat Isaac
12-03-2010, 09:04 AM
All is well, Have fun with the images this month.

Pat

paul444
12-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Great reference pictures Crystal, I think I'll have a go at the nude too.
Have to agree with the others, you look beautiful and very brave, putting yourself out there.

lonelm
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Awesome refs Crystal and I would also like to give the figure a go. I am off to a 3 day workshop next weekend on figure drawing and it would be perfect to try so I was thinking it would be a great project to try. I think it and you are beautiful and your composition is great. Love all of your refs but since I am in a figure mode I am thinking it would be fun to try in OP.

gakinme
12-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I bought some Portfolio watersoluable oil pastel and they are fantastic. Made in Spain, super soft and super blendable. I love this oil pastel already.

First sketch 5 mins. Aquabee deluxe sketchbook 9x12 inch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2010/86669-portfolio_nude1.jpg

same oil pastels in Fabriano Artist Journal 6x9 inch 15 mins

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2010/86669-portfolio_mt.jpg

RainySea
12-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Hi Sandra. . . wow, you are getting good at capturing figures quickly! Only five minutes in a 9 x 12 size!

Love the rocks, it does look very smooth and nicely blended. . . nice sketch! Btw, is that the Fabriano book that has different color pages?

robertsloan2
12-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Pat, thank you for going to bat to keep the figure in this month's challenge! I definitely wanted to paint it and I am so glad it's still here. Crystal, thanks again for posting it. That's a wonderful photo. You're both brave and beautiful.

Sandra, great figure sketch with the Portfolios! I love the rocks landscape too - that's the other one I was thinking of doing.

tvandeb
12-03-2010, 09:23 PM
First time doing oil pastels for me; I've had a bunch of oil pastels for several months, and after lurking here a couple months decided to try the rocks. C/C would be helpful since I'm new at this and only used to soft pastels.
Done mi tentes white paper with various oil pastels, and blended with turpenoid. Thanks for a great ref!:)

lonelm
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Sandra great quick sketch of the figure and I love the rocks.

Tammy good job. Great job on blending and an admirable first go.

gakinme
12-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Tammy, good first piece. Hope to see more of your oil pastels.

Here's my second sketch. This one is still Portfolio Watersoluable oil pastels on Fabriano Artist Journal 6x9 inch. Not a lot of room and this is the first time I finger blend this oil pastel. It works well. Takes longer since I had to work in small spaces. 20 mins.

I need a bigger surface for this piece for my next one. Probably need to bring out my Walnut Hollow oil pencils too for eyes and stuff.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Dec-2010/86669-portfolio_nude2.jpg

Rainy, this is indeed the Fabriano Artist Journal that has 12 colors in 192 pages. Blick doesn't have the colored ones anymore. They only carry the cream color one.

Here's one.

http://www.jennibick.com/fabriano-multicolor-artist-journal.html

I totally enjoy having so many choices especially to do landscapes because I don't need much to cover the grounds. If you don't mind the few vertical lines across the page, for some reason, is there, it's a very good sketching journal. I keep using it on both sides even for oil pastels and it still has many many pages after a year.

gakinme
12-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Here's a page for the challenge. Glassware drives me crazy. I gave up half way. :(

Portfolio watersoluable oil pastel
Fabriano Artist Journal 6x9 inch

At least I get to slather red all over a pix!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Dec-2010/86669-portfolio_glass.jpg

lonelm
12-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Sandra another beautiful rendering. You are just moving right through these refs. Very nicely done.

roy-p
12-05-2010, 03:25 AM
My respect for all you talented OP people have increased manifold as I struggled to contain this beast I'm trying to get familiar with. My last OP (in a decade) was about two years ago for a WC challenge, and I can see that its totally different from dry pastels.

I can't quickly add the marks (as I can with dry pastels and conte), and have to be patient, adding in careful increments - that was the first sobering revelation. Secondly, I can't get away with using relatively inferior brands, because its difficult to move the pigment around otherwise (the surface is a big factor here as well). Hence I had to go and buy myself some Sennelier, which I've used on top of the lesser brands. I guess one needs to develop special skills to effectively use OP, which can only come with time (hopefully).

Thank you so much Crystal! You're a wonderful model and photographer :wave:

35 cm x 55 cm (approx) on paper.

close up

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2010/148165-crystal-op-CU-dec2k10.jpg

full version

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2010/148165-crystal-op-dec2k10.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Pat Isaac
12-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Beautifully rendered, Roy. You really seem to have managed the OPs just fine.
Nice sketches, Sandra. I especially like your second figure drawing.
Pat

lonelm
12-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Beautifully done Roy. I don't see one spot that shows struggle. It is a great likeness and perfectly rendered.

gakinme
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Wow, Prosenjit, beautiful piece. I don't see any struggle there! Anything under your masterful fingers looks magnificient no matter what media. You have given her a more Asian complexion. Very nice.

gakinme
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Here's my bigger version. Only used Mungyo and Portfolio Oil pastels and Walnut Hollow Oil Pencils.

Blending is a skill I haven't done much. It takes forever. The oil pastels were soft but it's not knowing how much color to put on before blending that takes me so long. Almost 2 hours for this piece.

65 lbs yellow cardstock primed with clear Colorfix pastel ground

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Dec-2010/86669-op+dec+challenge_2010a.jpg

lonelm
12-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Very nice Sandra. I love your colour choices and great blending as well. Great likeness.

aless
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Great reference pictures, I have never done a Challenge before I'm going to attempt Crystal's nude pose this well be my third attempt at learning oil pastels.
hope I can do as well as everyone elses.

Sandra.

VladK
12-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Sandra, great sketches, and I particularly love the last one, very dramatic colors
Roy, very well done

Crystal, nice references, thanks for posting.

RainySea
12-05-2010, 08:23 PM
WOW. . . Sandra, each one of your sketches of Crystal gets better and better! Neat blending and tones on the last one. I started on that glass/w pomegrante the other night and gave up half way as I was not pleased with how it was coming out using pentel on the proart sketch so I can share/feel your frustration with it!

Roy, wonderfullly done. . . does not look like you had any problems with the OP. Nice skin tones.

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-06-2010, 02:52 AM
I missed a couple days of lurking here, and already a bunch of responses to go through. :O Miss a day, miss a lot I suppose. :/

Sandra, I really like the job done with the pomegranate and wine glass. Lots of red is lots of fun! Nice job with the sketchings of me. And 5 minutes on the first post? Damn, that was fast. Your sketches keep on getting better every time you do them.

I also love the contrast you did with the rock formation in the JT park. I love the watersoluable portfolio pastels and I forgot I had them. They are so blend-able and creamy. And that Fabriano book with a ton of colors... WANT!

To the other Sandra that posted :lol: I believe in you. You will do just fine. Relax. :)

Rainy, I feel you. The glass is being a pain in the butt. :( I feel you on the frustration.

Tammy, that is pretty good for your first time with the OPs! I do like your interpretation of the photo. To me, it looks like something from a prehistoric scene for some reason. Love it!

Judy, it seems even when you have a few days off figure classes, it seems you're gonna run into figures online when you enter the art site. "Jeeze, I cannot get a day off from this."

Roy, I see why you struggle because the detailing is amazing and they can be a struggle. Especially, using the hard to blend kind of oil pastels.... You did really well with them and the Senneliers. I also like the color choices you made. It brought some sort of mood to it (Gah, how do I describe it? I am no good with words EVER! That's why most of my comments lack construction).

And for those saying thanks for posting, you're welcome! :) Glad to host! I'll try to keep up with you guys. :lol:

roy-p
12-06-2010, 05:15 AM
Sandra (gakinme) I love the rock pile you've painted. In the original I can (weirdly) recognize an abstract, foreshortened figure lying on her back in that rock formation (head-end away from us). I can see glimpses of that construction in your work, and it reminded me of Degas landscapes in which he had woven in the human figure.

I see that (and you've mentioned it as much) you don't like blending much, and I agree with you - I don't either. I dislike turpentine (and don't have the odorless kind atm) otherwise I'd have used it to blend the under layers. What I have found during my struggles with this medium is that when I (in frustration) scraped off large swathes of pastel it did leave behind a light, evenly blended surface (the reddish passages in the thighs between dark and light areas in my work), on which I could paint my over layers. And I didn't blend much, mostly a few dabs here and there with the finger or light passing of the pastel stick in between the harsher pastel marks.

But, getting to discover all this was a struggle! Thank you for generous comments :)

Hi Crystal, oh you express yourself very well with your words, and I understand what you meant by the 'mood' - that mood is palpable in your reference, which is why it has been praised by so many. Thank you! As regards what you mentioned on details... I see that wonderful last sketch by Sandra (gakinme) and read about her use of pastel pencils and wondered - why didn't I think of that! I don't own any oily pastel pencils atm, but I will go hunt for them next time I'm at the shop, will definitely help me with the details.

Judy, Pat - thanks! I'm glad the 'struggle' in not all that apparent, but believe me handling this medium was akin to taking part in the rodeo. Kudos to you guys for doing it so comfortably.

Thanks so much Vlad and Rainy (I like that nickname - 'rainysea') :)

gakinme
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Everyone, thanks for your comments on my piece.

I noticed something yesterday, now that Prosenjit mentioned it. In areas where I laid the Portfolio watersoluable oil first, I could easily use my fingernail to scrape off the colored area clean because it's so soft and I could start anew. If I used the harder and cheaper brands, there is a color stain.

I was reading somewhere online that if you know there are some highlight areas that you would tackle, put white on the first layer before you do anything else so if you mistakenly dabbed color into those areas, it's less visible once you scraped it off.

oldrockchick
12-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Great work so far all - I plan to join in but I'm waiting to get a larger piece of paper as I' m used to workong 'large' for figure work. Also been a bit busy and weery... will join in though

Great work all :thumbsup:
can't wait to see more

and to you 'beginners or first-timers' in OPs - we've all been there and yes selecting the right surface is very important and also the right degree of hardness of OP by brand to suit your own 'feel'.

paul444
12-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Great paintings everyone, I still have to make a start yet....

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Hey, I thought sometime ago those Walnut oil pencils (I never got to get and use) were discontinued. Am I thinking of the wrong pencil?

And Lin is totally correct with the last sentence she said. :)

You all are doing awesome so far, and lurkers are pleased.

gakinme
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
The Walnut Hollow oil pencils indeed are discontinued. But you could find them from time to time on ebay and other stores.

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-14-2010, 12:38 AM
Oh, OK. Making sure I wasn't going crazy. I've always wanted to try out those pencils.

paul444
12-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Finally able to get my hands on you Crystal, You are now laying across my table ready to start. :lol:

aless
12-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Here is my version of Crystal plus teddy. It was a learning experience but an enjoyable one not quite achieved the look I wanted but decide to stop as I was over blending and losing what effect I wanted.

I used Daler Rowney pastel paper.pastels used Derwent Academy plus Reeves. Not sure whether to call it finished or when I buy some Sennelier see if I can improve the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Dec-2010/29508-pastel_figure1.jpg

gakinme
12-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Aless, good skin tones there and good color background to it. You're the only one who put in a teddy bear! Good job.

VladK
12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Good work Aless. I agree with Sandra on skin tones.

oldrockchick
12-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi Aless welcome to OPers

Considering you are using student grade pastles, which tend to be quite hard, I'm amazed at the purity you have achieved in the skin tones and the soft look to her facial features - marvelous, soft and atmospheric work.:thumbsup:

I bought some Reeves recently for underpaintings and found them quite nice. Ive used DR for a long time for bast coats. They save so much on my Neos and Senns.

I will ahve some time to myslef for a couple of days when Dave goes to Essex. I might have go then. I hsome A3 size canvas paper and gesso'd wc paper I think I'll start on that.

paul444
12-18-2010, 06:21 AM
Sandra...Two great sketches and so fast. Well done.

Tammy... Welcome to the op forum, you have created a very nice picture of the rock.

Sandra... A great second sketch of Crystal and your glass looks very good. Are you going to finish it ? Now you have had a little rest from it.

Roy... An excellent op of Crystal, very well rendered.

Sandra... Well done, you are building on each of your previous drawings and getting better all the time.

Aless... A lovely drawing, well done, and the teddy too.

paul444
12-18-2010, 06:25 AM
I think I did this a bit too small so I struggled with the detail in the face, apart from that I'm quite happy with it.
Its 11 X 7 on water colour paper using Neopastels and Senns.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2010/82968-1.jpgwc.jpg

robertsloan2
12-18-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Dec-2010/70184-December-OP-Challenge-Rocks-1.jpg
December Oil Pastel Challenge Rocks I
8 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Caran d'Ache Neopastel on tan Canson Mi-Tientes smooth side.
Photo reference by ghettodaveyhawk for Dec. OP challenge.

Paul, I love what you've done with your nude, she's gorgeous!

Too many cool paintings to comment on but I did go through the entire thread to see them all, and they're fantastic. Gorgeous works from everyone.

Pat Isaac
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Great figure work, Paul. Nice skin tones.
Wow, Robert, brilliant color and a nice feeling of sunlight.

Pat

Micheline Hamelin
12-19-2010, 05:01 AM
Well hello all!!!

I am new to Wet canvass, still trying to learn the ropes of virtually checking things out, it took me two months to get this far, but hey, I made it.

I am presently taking intense daily lessons on-line and will fit in one of these pics, I do love oil pastels...will see what comes from it, since most oils I do are intuitionist. While I am here Merry Christmas all.

Pat Isaac
12-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Hello to you also and welcome to the OP forum, Micheline.....:wave: Looking forward to seeing some of your posts.

Pat

Libellule
12-19-2010, 08:39 AM
hello everybody :wave: !
Like Micheline I am a new member. What a good surprise to found an Oil pastel part in WC. I've discovered OP this summer and just 've made 2 drawings with them that if you want, you could see on my web site.
Well, I 've done one of your challenge picture and have a great fun with it, thanks.
On white Daler-Rowney paper, 120 lbs, with Sennelier OP

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2010/568971-nu_femme_pastel_dec_2010.jpg

C and C are welcome :)

robertsloan2
12-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Hi Micheline, glad you found WC! Enjoy!

Libelline, gorgeous view of the nude with the Christmas bear, that's just elegant! Love the skin tones you got and soft painterly strokes on her body, your textures are wonderful.

RainySea
12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Aless, you have done a beautiful painting with those student grade pastels. . . its lovely, the skin tones and the hair and the little bear.

Paul, really lovely modeling on her form and great vibrant color.

Robert, I just LOVE those rocks and all the colors you put in. Bravo.

Lib, very elegant painting. . . you've captured it so well. Love the face and the modeling on the body and the bear is great. excellent work.

Pat Isaac
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Beautifully done, Lib and welcome to the OP forum...:wave: Nice web site, hope to see more of your posts.

Pat

lonelm
12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Aless-Beautifully done I love the draping. I can just imagine what you could do with artist quality pastels.

Paul-You did a great job on this. Love the vibrancy of colour.

Robert-Wow such light and colour. It is stunning.

Libellule-You did a wonderful job on this. You have really captured this.

I am running out of time and don't know if I am going to be able to tackle it but I certainly have been enjoying the wonderful works everyone is creating. Well done.

RainySea
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM
here is my first attempt at one of the pictures. this is portfolio op (student grade but pretty smooth). . . they are watersoluble, but didn't use any water on this. Its on canson mi-tientes and is about 8 x 6. the digital photo sorta washed it out as there are more warm tones and colors than show up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2010/132279-joshuatree.jpg

lonelm
12-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Rainy-Beautiful job on the rocks. I love the colours you used and the softness of the foreground.

RainySea
12-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Thank you Judy!

here is the second picture. . . again, portfolio op this time on proart sketchbook. no water. this is a hard one with that rich dark fabric behind the glass. Should have done bigger. Oh well. . . here it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2010/132279-pomergrante.jpg

oldrockchick
12-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Wow some of you guys have done some incredible life studies. Nice to see you new folks. Why don't you wander around OP forum - pop into the Oil Gusher or confess your squandering on art supplies on our Art Supplies confessional thread. we also talk about various products there. We are a happy family and always welcome new people in to our fold.

Will make individual comments later - just got to go and get my haqir sorted out.

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-20-2010, 01:42 AM
Wow! More beautiful stuff has arrived.!

aless, that is really nice! You even included the holiday bear! Ayo, you would totally like the Senneleirs I bet. They're so much easier to work with. Keep up the OP practice. :)

Paul, I think I weighed down and broke your table. :lol: nice rendering and color scheme for the background... Aw, Christmas colors!!!

My goodness, Robert! Very gorgeous sunset-like painting! I always love looking at your works! I should probably go see what you're up to in the art journals... and hit you up on Facebook when I get my drink on. :lol: Just kidding.

Welcome to the forums, Micheline! Looking forward to see you around posting art!

Libellule, welcome as well! Your work is fantastic and you also added the bear! I'm gonna check out your website you have in your signature as well. :)

Rainy, awesome job on the rocks! The painting looks fluffy to me.... Mmmmm... fluffy. And nice job on the pomegranate wine glass as well!

Wow! You guys amaze me again.

robertsloan2
12-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Rainy, beautiful versions of the rocks and the wine glass. I especially like your rocks scene. I've used Portfolio Watersoluble OP - they are the one student grade OP that shares the same texture as Sennelier artist grade OPs. They're wonderful for that and you've taken full advantage of their softness and painterly texture. Gorgeous shapes and crevices in those rocks. Great symmetry in your wine glass too, lovely glass texture especially in the base.

Thanks for your comments on my rocks scene! Crystal, I've gone through another quantum leap in skill taking the Johannes Vloothuis landscape classes this month. I've been busting my brains on them every day but the principles are starting to sink in and the practice doing the little thumbnails in my notes have helped to change how I look at shapes. I'll probably do the rocks scene again this month, might do it in different colors or not.

lonelm
12-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Rainy-love the texture in this one. That glass looks positively smooth. Great job.

oldrockchick
12-20-2010, 06:47 PM
I've had some fun getting a substrate sorted. i only had panels and smaller prepped A4 papers so I prepped an A3 canvas sheet and it is really really coarse.....

so substrate is

Crimson & Blake (el cheapo) A3
Canvas oil paper (from a pad)
Gesso'ed one side. Gesso'ed 2nd side then added another coat with some fine crafters sand in it.
i tried a roller, a credit card and finally a sponge but had real trouble to get it even and fine.
I did a few all at once of wc paper and these sheets.

when i did the panels before like this I took them in the garden and finely sandced them... well apart from the fact it is too cold to go in the garden, and there isn't a snow-free surface to work on - my arm won't have the strength - so i had to leave it coarse.

Because of this I decided to use cheap OPs for underpainting.

So these are my techniques qand work plans so far,....

1. I drew out the design free hand in my sketchbook, using shapes and lines then filling them out.

2. I then used graphite paper to transfer it to the substrate. i wanted to alter it slightly so i changed the window.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2010/179312-SANY5625.JPG

3. For the first underpainting i used some 'Platinum' very waxy OPs I got from Ebay cheap.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2010/179312-SANY5626.JPG

I used OMS and a brush to spread this. Although I plan a differnt colour for the walls I used pink to create a harmonious warmth.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2010/179312-SANY5628.JPG

As the grain was still showing through and still very coarse, I wanted to increase the underneath intensity further.

This time i used a better quality OP (Filia - good students). Firm but oily and good lay down. BUT - I applied them while the OMS had not fully dried. This made them very soft and pliable and they laid down nice and thickly. This time I went over with colours closer to the ones I would be using for the top layers. I added OP fairly thickly and then used my fingers to blend and smooth.

I also used FC Polys to 'crisp'up the edges.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Dec-2010/179312-SANY5629.JPG

5. I'm going to let it 'rest' now for 24 hours.

If i need another coat before the top coat I'll probably use Neos and/or Cray Pas. Then top coat with Sennelier.

I'm having problems with the face though, as I can't get a good enough resolutionm image to see it probably.

oldrockchick
12-20-2010, 07:07 PM
well done on your life study Paul - it's very well done.

Lillebulle - i love the soft colours youhave chosen.

Robert - your rocks are amazing on black - they look almost luminous - that blue is lush!

Rainy -lovely try with the glass - you are brave to try it - too hard for me that one :thumbsup:. The rocks are very realistic.

paul444
12-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Robert... a beautiful painting. I love the light you have put onto the rock and the colours look awesome. Well done.

Welcome to the OP forum, Micheline.

Libellule... a lovely nude study , the skin tones are excellent. Nice to see you here .

Rainy... You have painted a beautiful solid looking rock. Well done. The glass looks excellent, you have painted a difficult subject very well.

paul444
12-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Lin ... You have made an excellent start on this, thanks for showing us your progression. Looking foreword to seeing this finished.

VladK
12-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Paul, great work and nice scin tones and colors overall
Robert, your rocks rock, excellent job
Libellule, this is beatiful, I love your color palette and you achieved great likenes
Rainy, great works, I like the way you did the rocks, and such tricky pomegranade you've accompished masterfully
Lin, nice start, thank you for showing progression

aless
12-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks you Sandra,Vlad,Lin,Paul,Rainy,Judy & Crystal for your kind comments,they are much appreciated.

I am glad I was on the right track with the skin tones I was unsure if I had achieved the right effect with the skin tone.
I did alot of reading on Wet Canvas lessons etc to help understand what to do.
I have enjoyed taking part in the December Challege and I also hope to attempt more Challeges Etc.
Enjoyed seeing all the fabulous works everyone as created.

Sandra,

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Lin, awesome job and thanks for sharing your progress with us during your painting!

Robert, I had to look up Johannes to see who that was.

Merry Christmas, everyone! Hope the Christmas dinner is splendid!

Amedee
12-27-2010, 08:49 AM
This is my first attemt at the glass. I had to stop half-way since I was using a very bad sketching-pad that has a greasy line over all pages that always shows up when using OP's (I should throw this paper away or give it to the kids..... ). This is my first attempt ever to draw something glass-like.
It's hard to get the dark red with the limited (24) amount of OP's I have.
Van Gogh OP's on 90 g/m2 'sketching' paper.....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2010/403801-RedGlassSketch.jpg

Pat Isaac
12-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the progress shots, Lin. Looking forward to the finish.
Nice attempt at the glass, Amedee. The paper does make a difference, interesting about the gready line. I did a classroom on glass should you want to try it. It is located here. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319371
and the background was red!

Pat

Amedee
12-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Pat, Thanks for the glass-drawing instructions! I realy need some grayish colors and some realy oily whites to make the highlights work....

Amedee
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
... Here is the 'secret line' in my sketchbook I was talking about... .Very strange thing.... I've given the paper to my kids...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Dec-2010/403801-SecretLine.jpg

Pat Isaac
12-27-2010, 12:43 PM
That is wierd. Sennelier has some wonderful greys and a nice white.

Pat

oldrockchick
12-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Here are a few of the remaining 'work ups' from last night. io thought i'd wait and upload them altogether with the finished.

Using Neos i laid down top colours
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2010/179312-OP_Dec_10_chall_-_Crystal_WIP_5.jpg

i smoothed all this out
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2010/179312-OP_Dec_10_chall_-_Crystal_WIP_6.jpg

I then started to add the Senns for the top coat....

which I later smoothed out on the background and bed

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2010/179312-OP_Dec_10_chall_-_Crystal_WIP_8.jpg

all except for the body I smoothed it all out. i wanted defined lines on the drapery and everything to be 'smooth'

oldrockchick
12-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm trying to break away from my obsession with realism. i decided to do something different with the body.

I laid on the first layer of Senns in colours and tones. these looked rather divisionist. So then i put another layer on the top, overlapping the other tones. I defined the lines.

Then I decided to go 'wild' and bring out my creative expressionist spree.

I slapped it on wildly in an impasto style. so much so i didn't stop to photograph these stages.

After that I used a shaper to tidy the edges as the coarse texture ~(like a rough house brick) made the lines uneven. I made them nice and smooth. I loaded on highlights and very slightly crossed over the colour 'zones'with thick impasto.

I then worked on the face and finally the hair.

The background, window and divan and drapery are smooth so that the body stands out.

the body is thick high layers almost sculptured impasto Senns.

So here is the finished thing:

'Crystal'
C & B A3 Canvas Sheet prepped with Gesso and gritted Gesso
Various CPs in progression
Lower layers, Platinum, Filia and OMS
Middle Neopastels
Finish and impasto Senneliers
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Dec-2010/179312-OP_Dec_10_chall_-_Crystal_fin-_no_flash_1000px.jpg

The impasto doesn't show up very well on the photo. (taken wihout flash in room light)

sorry it took so long but I have had a very busy few weeks.
Thanks for the refs and challenge Crystal - was something different to do.

VladK
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Happy New Year all:wave:

Crystal, I finally got myself to do it. This is my first nude painting (if don't count those nude pics in school :o )

Senneliers on 12x17 bristol vellum paper - I think I should do it on a bigger format, would be much easier.

C&c are very welcome. Thank you
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jan-2011/204616-IMG_6260_s.jpg

oldrockchick
01-02-2011, 11:45 AM
well done Vlad.!

Pat Isaac
01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Great job, Vlad!

Pat

hollyga
01-03-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks for a wonderful December challenge, Crystal! I wasn't able to participate but I have loved watching everyone's posts.

Great work, everyone!

Libellule
01-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Good job Vlad, I also think it's not easy on a small format .

VladK
01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Thank you Lin, Pat , Holly and Libellule.

Pat Isaac
01-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, I didn't comment, Lin....brain cramp. Really nice finish and I can see some of the impasto. Interesting that not many put in the teddy...

Pat

oldrockchick
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
thanks Pat. :)
I deliberately wanted to add the teddy to make the whole look soft and gentle. I altered the window to give an airy feeling and the red drapey for warmth.

was certainly something different for me.

paul444
01-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Linn and Vlad, two great nude studies, well done.

robertsloan2
01-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Lin and Vlad, both of your paintings of Crystal are fabulous. I love the differences between your styles. Both are very accurate and graceful, your palettes are very different and both look so natural.

Lin, you painted her in soft warm light in the summer where she looks like she's enjoying the warm.

Vlad, you painted her in a colder light where she looks very dramatic.

Both look so true and well done and are so different in season. Gorgeous!

RainySea
01-07-2011, 09:36 AM
wow, Crystal, you posted some inspiring pictures this month and everyone did such a wonderful work painting them. VERY enjoyable time viewing through this thread.