PDA

View Full Version : some new oil pastels- couldn't wait

sundiver
12-31-2002, 10:12 PM
We just got back from 3 days in Quebec City. That place is absolutely enchanting at Christmas and we had a wonderful time.
Aaaand, not only did I find a terrific art supply store (Omer DeSerres), but everything in it was 20% off! Among other things, I passed over the Sennelier set, as advised by you in this forum, and got some new Rembrandts. I also treated myself to 10 new Holbein Artist oil pastels (at 3 bucks each). They are so creamy and rich .
So, I'm hangin'out in the hotel room waiting for the rest of the family to get back from skiing at Mont Ste Anne, and can I leave those oil pastels alone? No way! But my palette was very limited. I found a landscape of Charlevois in a tourist book, with mostly browns, violets, and white, which I didn't have, and blue, which I did have.But I had mauve paper, so I improvised.
The colors aren't anything like the original photo, but I had fun.
9x12 on pinkish-mauve paper.

Luvy
12-31-2002, 11:07 PM
Limited colors? Shoot I couldn't do this well with all my colors LOL Beautiful but cooooold Brrrr

Redsy333
12-31-2002, 11:39 PM
Sundiver this is creativity at its best, you simply amaze me with your talents! This is beautiful and you had so lil to work with:D
I am so glad you shared this, and cant wait to see more:D:D:D

Mikki Petersen
01-01-2003, 01:10 AM
Wow! Very nice work. Also nice improvisation to create a beautiful work with the tools at hand. Hope we'll be seeing some scenes from your trip soon.

meowmeow
01-01-2003, 08:22 AM
What a lovely winter scene. YOu did a really nice job!

Sandy

JamieWG
01-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Wendy, isn't it interesting how sometimes less is more? Your colors here are gorgeous. If you'd had more to choose from....who knows that it would have been better. I love this palette, and whatever the reference colors were, you made this work very well indeed.

Jamie

Dark_Shades
01-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Absolutely charming

sunny
01-04-2003, 08:15 AM
Sundiver,

Sounds like you had a great time...nothing like new art supplies, I really think they yell to get out of the box, and say use me!!

The painting is beautiful. How did you like working with the oil pastels? I have never tryed them...

sundiver
01-04-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sunny
Sundiver,
Sounds like you had a great time...nothing like new art supplies, I really think they yell to get out of the box, and say use me!!
The painting is beautiful. How did you like working with the oil pastels? I have never tryed them...

Thanks, all of you, for your encouraging comments!
Sunny,I do like the Holbein Artist oil pastels very much. They are creamy and opaque, so much nicer than the student-grade assortment I had already. I'm not entirely comfortable with oil pastels yet but want to persue them further because I'm allergic to dust and have to wear a mask when I use soft pastels.
I just got the book "Oil Pastels for the Serious Beginner" by John Elliot and am eager to start experimenting.

KarenU
01-04-2003, 12:41 PM
I don't know how I missed this post! :(

Sounds like you had a terrific time on your 3 day visit and found a great art store to boot! :D You did an amazing job with a limited palette and I can't wait to see more of your oil pastel work! I got a small set of the Sennelier iridescent oil pastels for Christmas from my brother.....I've played with them a bit and boy are they smooth and creamy.