PDA

View Full Version : 12 sketches of December 2010 - Forum Challenge

DrDebby
11-30-2010, 08:47 PM
It's bound to be December 1 somewhere in the world, even if it's a few hours away here. This was proposed in the November chat thread and met with a fairly enthusiastic response.

The challenge for December is inspired by the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas".

This has naught to do with anyone's religious preferences, but to do with how busy everyone will be this next month and kind of a fun thing to do.

Only 12 pages of sketches are required (more or less of course, as needed), and can be done anytime between December 1 and December 31. This can span multiple sketchbooks if you want. Just identify the entry number 1 through 12. Post in your sketchbook threads if you are working in sketchbook which has it's own thread.

The challenge is to sketch something once, then something else twice, and something else 3 times, etc. I hope you get the idea till finally you sketch 12 of something. Doesn't have to be holiday themed at all, tho' it could be if you wanted to. Just to be clear, you don't have to find 12 different somethings for the 12th page, you could just draw something 12 times. Same goes for any multiple items required.

An extra challenge would be to stick to a theme.

RainySea
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Hello Debby. . . that is cool. . . I will set up a thread for mine tonight even thought I won't start drawing it til tomorrow :) And I have a theme already chosen! :)

virgo68
11-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Count me in Debby - I will get started some time today - it is the 1st here in Oz, lunch time in fact - I better get a move on ;)

Chuckcamo
12-01-2010, 12:49 AM
I may give this a try, think I have about 12 pages left or more in my sketchbook...

poochemio
12-01-2010, 01:10 AM
What a clever idea Debbie, I'm in and for a change I'll attempt to photograph and post instead of just comment.

robertsloan2
12-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Debbie, this one rocks. I'm in. I can just see how this will snowball... of course you know I've got to do the 12th page with my cat, right? And maybe lead up to it with some other cats.

Elain
12-01-2010, 02:23 AM
Sounds great. I'm in.

CandAlArt
12-01-2010, 02:48 AM
:wave: I'm in too! Looking forward to the creative pages you will all share!
:grouphug:

Joan T
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Sounds like fun!!!

seejay
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Still not sure if I'll join in or not, but looking forward to seeing what gets done by everyone.

dianapotts
12-02-2010, 06:38 PM
This sounds like fun. Can we draw the same things from different views? This could give me great practise on my doll drawings. Now I have to pick which one. I'll surprise you! Cheers!

Diana

DrDebby
12-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Diana, absolutely. You can draw the same item. It's just 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, etc. times.

WYSIWYG
12-03-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm in!

No ideas on a theme... hmmmmmm.... I suppose I could go with 'people', as it's something I'm wanting to improve on. I couldn't probably do 12x people in the same sketch as we just don't have that many around but maybe 12x little studies of the same person - just different expressions/angles. Maybe the 12 bunnies of Christmas. Or I could go with less a theme of subject matter and more of style - from life, multimedia or timed sketches. :confused: Decisions, decisions...:lol:

DrDebby
12-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Anything you want. Having a theme is certainly optional. The idea is the numbers of items.

WYSIWYG
12-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Oh I know, I just prefer to have some kind of theme going and am indecisive - so many fun things to choose from, so little time. :lol:

GhettoDaveyHavok
12-03-2010, 04:20 AM
That sounds interesting... we can maybe twist the words to 12 days of christmas, "On the first day of Christmas, Santa Clause sketched for me... "

eyepaint
12-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Phew! I have begun, and I borrowed someone's idea to get the 12 done first so then it's less work as I go along. I'll hold off posting until I get them a bit more refined. Glad to hear that it does not necessarily have to be holiday themed.

Grandma with a brush
12-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Sound like fun. I will give it a try.

DrDebby
12-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Glad you all are joining in on the fun. Happy sketching or whatever you do for art in your journal.

Scattykat
12-23-2010, 10:24 AM
well Debby, I'm a bit late as usual, but the idea of this 12 joys of christmas on a theme like the 12 days of christmas appealed. Hope it's ok to start now. I think I may have trouble fitting all twelve joys in before the end of december, but I'll give it a good go. Thanks for the springboard ...

eyepaint
12-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm so behind!!!! Grrrr!! Well I photographed a few and will post a thread.

DrDebby
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
There are still a few days left in December. I have one more batch of candy to make and then I'll be going at this myself. I knew it was a busy time of the year for a lot of folks and hoped this would be a more "open" challenge to be fit in around other things.

Glad you are joining in the fun Scatty.

No worries EP, this is supposed to be fun, not work.

eyepaint
12-23-2010, 02:50 PM
No worries EP, this is supposed to be fun, not work. Oh I know. I'm so glad I started with 12 and can work my way down to fewer each time :) :) :) I had such aspirations .... at the wrong time of year I think... :)

mhimeswc
12-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh, wow! I'm sorry that I missed this challenge - it looks like so much fun. I've been slacking big time, and haven't even opened my sketchbook the last 3 months. [Hanging head in shame].

Everyone's December journals are awesome, and I really like the Christmassy themes that some of them have.

I'm getting back into sketching mode with the scavenger hunt, so maybe I can do the January challenge - if there is one.

DrDebby
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
We're discussing a January challenge over in the chat thread. Come add your two cents.