PDA

View Full Version : Canoe

Chrisp47
11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I painted this picture for an Aunt and Uncle, whom I just had a reunion with after 40 years.:grouphug:
The reference was a photo they liked.
I didn't like some aspects of the first version so I made some corrections. I'm still not real pleased with it.:(
painted on a 18" X 24" canvas
C&C's more than welcome.
Chris

Rick G
11-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Chris,

I'm sure your aunt and uncle will be pleased with the piece just as it is, but you may want to consider changing the values a bit in the sky, mountains, and foreground to give it more pop. I took the liberty of doing a bit of a Photoshop value study of the original and the bottom photo of your work. I think you'll see that you've lost some of the range of darks and lights that make the photo interesting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2010/147850-Value-ref.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Nov-2010/147850-Value-art.jpg

Chrisp47
11-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks Rick, that is very helpful. I don't have Photoshop. I have Paint Shop Pro, I don't know if that feature is included with it. I can do grayscale, but that basically gives me a Black & White picture. Thanks again:)

arl
11-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Wonderful composition.

ladypainter
11-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Great composition and beautiful scene.Nice work

OkeeKat
11-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Fabulous!
I'm sure they are going to love it!

Barb'sArt
12-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Great work and such a wonderful and thoughtful gift!

amckenzie
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Chris,

I took the liberty of doing a bit of a Photoshop value study of the original and the bottom photo of your work. I think you'll see that you've lost some of the range of darks and lights that make the photo interesting.
Can you do the same thing with Photoshop Elements? I haven't tried it yet?

Alice

Rick G
12-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Can you do the same thing with Photoshop Elements? I haven't tried it yet?

Alice

Hi Alice,

Yes, you can do this kind of a rough value study in Photoshop Elements as well as the full version of Photoshop. You can use two different filters to accomplish it: Posterize or Cutout. Posterize is found under Adjustments in the filter list and Cutout is found under Artistic in that same list. I usually set the levels to 5 in either filter's dialogue box. After I apply the filter, I generally change the image mode to Grayscale to eliminate color so that I can just see the value information.

Rick