PDA

View Full Version : What do you paint with, other than a paint brush?

Onewithwings
11-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Sponges? Knives? Tooth brush? Something else? I am looking for more techniques to add variety to my paintings!

Eraethil
11-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Squeeze bottles, shishkabob skewers, string, lace, sequin ribbon, linocut plates, shower squeegees, pastry cones, cut up plastic card, mat stencils, rags brayers.

Onewithwings
11-29-2010, 08:51 AM
I like using squeeze bottles. They work well for abstracts that I have done. Actually, the last painting I did used squeeze bottles and knives for most of the painting. :)

Einion
11-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Took me a while to find it, a related thread from last year here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550674).

Einion

OkeeKat
11-29-2010, 11:56 AM
palette knife and brushes only so far!

*Amanda*
11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Palette knives, rags, brushes sponges and sometimes fingers. If it's to hand & I think it could work I'll try it out:wink2:

howyadoin
11-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Mostly knives. I probably use them as much as I use brushes these days.

Plus the occasional bit of spraypaint.

Arnold Lowrey
11-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Fingers, razor blades, sponges, in fact anything that is handy!
See Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwBh0vmgNU
Also search for me on Yioutube where I use razor blades in the watercolour demos
Happy painting
Arnold

shadwell
11-30-2010, 03:21 AM
fingers , knives , sponges , tooth picks , brushes , cotton buds , tissues , polythene , toothbrushes , airbrushes , fingernails

basicaly if it'll make a mark or do an effect i'll give it a go !!

loobyteacher
11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
fingers, paper towels, other end of the brush

the drover's dog
11-30-2010, 09:00 AM
An old credit card is fantastic for doing vertical lines such as lamp posts, trees etc. Lightly scraped across the surface after heavily loading the flat, it makes great foam is seascapes.

I was taught the technique at an acrylics workshop I attended with highly respected Aussie artist Herman Pekel. He developed the credit card brush when he forgot and left all his brushes at home and trotted off to hold a workshop. Only thing on him that would vaguely distribute paint around the canvas. Did the whole demo/workshop with a credit card and paint and he paints big canvases!

I also use various sponges, lumps of paper, corks and my fingers. Finger tip blobs make great bunches of grapes if you load with two different shades. Surgical gloves are easier to throw out than scrubbing paint from around fingernails

Have fun,

Dale

howyadoin
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Fingers, razor blades, sponges, in fact anything that is handy!
See Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDwBh0vmgNU
Also search for me on Yioutube where I use razor blades in the watercolour demos
Happy painting
ArnoldArnold, you make that look so effortless. Quite inspiring.

IanArt
11-30-2010, 11:26 PM
My mind. The majority of my painting is done before even picking up a brush.

Ian