PDA

View Full Version : This is a serious problem now...

meowmeow
12-30-2002, 11:40 AM
...when I go to the supermarket and start putting veggies in the wagon not because we want them to eat but because I think they would be great to paint! :D

I got these gorgeous, ENORMOUS artichokes today...and a mess of tomatoes on a vine thingy...and I kept looking at the little eggplants thinking how nice they would be in pastels...hubby will be thrilled when he realizes he has to eat this whole, huge artichoke all by himself because I have one for me too! I needed two to balance out the picture of course!
Why do I think I am not the only person on the Forum who has this problem? :D

Hopefully I will get to post some veggie pictures later.

Sandy

jimb
12-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Wow, I can see me starting to do the same thing. I'm not doing vegetables yet, but I am spending a lot of my time surfing the internet for photo refererences. I don't think there's a cure.
You are eating them after you paint them aren't you?

meowmeow
12-30-2002, 12:29 PM
Oh yes, we eat them...and in a way it really makes you work fast and hard because you know it will not last forever.
That's why I passed on the eggplants this week because I know with the holiday I am just not going to get to cook them. Maybe next week.
I think it is mostly Karen and Katherine's fault...all those wonderful fruit and veggies on black are so inspiring.

Sandy

sunny
12-30-2002, 01:08 PM
Sandy,
You made me laugh so hard....I do a lot of still lifes in oil....Just call me the Queen of mold...the oils are labourous because of glazing etc.....Then I get a kick ot of my husband, he used to inspect the grapes to make sure they would look good in the still life and group different fruits together right at the market!!! People thought he was a little fruity.

:D :D :D

Maybe I should start doing my still lifes in pastel, might cure the mold problem. or maybe I should specialize in painting mold...HUM....

Look forward to your veggie posts.

Lulu
12-30-2002, 01:12 PM
hehehehe my husband still complains about the bread wine and grapes of a still life he wasn't allowed to eat or drink:D

What I want to know Sandy, is how do you COOK artichokes? My last effort was a disaster............

Dark_Shades
12-30-2002, 01:30 PM
LOLOLOL Meow..... I had to giggle what you said hee hee...... and only this afternoon hubby had bought some food for tomorrows dinner party....... and low n behold a Whole Garlic...... My Mind went
Oooohhhhh :) ..... Karen.... Garlic.... Karen.. still Life lolol

meowmeow
12-30-2002, 01:55 PM
How did I know I would find equally nutty (or should I say fruity)people here!lol!
These artichokes are presenting a problem. I have been busy all day...havent' even had an opportunity to set anything up. I have to go to really work tomorrow morning. So that leaves this evening and tomorrow afternoon to paint them...I was going to serve them tomorrow night. Kind of part of a nice New Years Eve dinner for hubby and me. Not sure I can get the picture done that fast...we may do without them tomorrow night. :D
I just sort of steam/boil them. I don't cover them completely with water but put them in a big pot and a few inches some water. Let them cook till you can pull off a leaf easily. I suppose I have over cooked them on occasion but never a real disaster. Try them again; they really are not too difficult. ANd yummy with a little melted butter/garlic.
Speaking of garlic.....

Sandy

Dark_Shades
12-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by meowmeow
Try them again; they really are not too difficult. ANd yummy with a little melted butter/garlic.
Speaking of garlic.....

Sandy

LOLOL

My mind just went....... Ohhh Garlic!! .... Karen... Garlic...... Still Life.... Garlic....... Artichokes....... Been invited to Meow's for New Years Eve

:D

christmascarolnz
12-30-2002, 02:46 PM
What a hoot!
I had to hold a peeled banana and paint a large one on polysteirene for my friend....it was very difficult not to take a big, glorious bite out of it! ...imagine a still life with chocolate!
I've got some choc. buttons and apricots to dip..but never quite got around to it..solution? Eat one apricot at the same time as a few choc. buttons. :p
Now - how to portray that in pastel with feeling and sensitivity...
Cheers,l
Carol

KarenU
12-30-2002, 07:34 PM
You guys are just toooo funny!! I'm still laughing as I type this! :D Yes...I do the same darn thing....standing there in the vegy department looking not for dinner ingredients but still life participants! :evil:

On the artichoke thing....I steam it, cool it, cut it in half, clean it out, stick it in a plastic bag with some italian dressing and let it marinate a few hours, then cook it a bit more on the grill.....then serve it with a homemade garlic aioli! Yummmmmy! :D

Ruth
12-30-2002, 11:25 PM
I get together with a couple of artist friends from time to time, and the first thing we do is make a foray to the grocery store, and swoop around the produce section, holding up fruits and vegetables and exclaiming loudly to each other about the shapes and colors! I'm sure we've gotten some strange looks, but we're having too much fun to notice. Then we get to the checkout counter, and have decided to purchase a bunch of flowers, two apples, one orange, one bunch of grapes, one radish, one cabbage, one purple onion and one brown one. I'm sure the clerk wonders what in the world kind of diet we're on. :D

TOO much fun!

Ruth