PDA

View Full Version : left brain vs right brain

jjwoodee
11-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Here are two drawings of my daughter, one using a blind contour method the other an observed study. It's interesting to note the contrast of styles.

Feedback welcomed.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Nov-2010/45866-BlindobservedStudy.jpg

ccollins
11-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Also interesting is the similarity! Another thing I find fascinating about blind contours, is that everyone's look unique - that without looking, and following the same technique, each individual will still develop a unique style. Great spontaneaity (sp) with the observed study.

Cinda

keith.a
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
What are blind contours ? cause what you just said Cinda is like double dutch to me !!!!....sorry for my ignorance but im interested to know more

luicre
11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi, jjwoodee. I don`t know how old is your daughter but she is talented.

Kids have some special freedom at drawing that they and all of we lose at teenagerwood, they draw freely and they make amazing compositions. I have read that at Betty Edward`s book.

Keith a blind contour `s drawing is : you place your hand with the pencil on the paper. Then you watch carefully at your subjetc, could be anything, your hand, a glass, a flower pott, and you draw without looking at the paper. You draw trying that your hand follows your eye movement. For some unknow reason it is a great exercise.

You can find this exercise and anothers at BettyEdwards`s book" Drawing on the right side of the Brain"

Saludos

Luicre

jjwoodee
11-28-2010, 11:15 PM
My daughter is 20 and 1/2 months, and I encourage to draw in her sketchbook. She often sees me drawing out of my sketchbook and at this age it is Monkey see Monkey do. My goal is to continue to encourage her to draw and collect these drawings as she grows. Heck, some of her work is full of energy and abstraction that I will scan and enlarge to hang a few on my wall. The drawings are representative of her first marks so there important. I'll share a couple with this post. One drawing was at 16 months, the other at 18 months of age.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2010/45866-img020_web.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Nov-2010/45866-Sketchbook9_9_2010_web.jpg

Luicre, is right as we get to an older age in youth we become critical of ourselves and other adults unfluence our opinions, we tend to stop using the drawing language as a medium of expression. Also, our left brain which loves to categorize and label, will use symbols that we tend to default to when drawing. For example, the sun has to be in the corner of the composition with lines eminating from a circle. This symbol gets stored in our brain. As artists, it can be hard to break patterns of habit and over use of symbols when drawing. By follwing the edge of an object and drawing with continuous line on your paper without looking you are opening up new whole world of expression and observation.

It can be hard to trust the process because your voices in the other side of the brain will be critical, but you just have to learn to continue forward. I've been using the technique daily sketching, and in my weekend figure drawing classes.

Luicre suggestion of the Betty Edwards book "Drawing on the right side of the Brain" is worth reading. Another book The Natural Way to Draw: A Working Plan for Art Study by Kimon Nicolaides is well worth a read and uses blind contour techniques.