PDA

View Full Version : Old Holland New Masters Acrylics - new thread.

Mikey
11-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Link to Old thread, same subject. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480670)

My Old Holland New Masters paints came this morning, so I've been trying them out. I've been using Golden Heavy Body and Michael Harding oils. For various reasons the oils are sadly not going to be so useful in the future. What I want is something which goes down from brush to canvas in the same manner as oils. I don't mind the fast drying time. I ask what will my brushwork be like with these acrylics. For whatever reason I just cannot get on with Liquitex in this regard. As a portrait painter this is very important to me.

As soon as brush went down on the canvas my reaction was wow! I am going to like these paints. The difference to Liquitex and other acrylics is considerable. As an oil painter I feel comfortable using New Masters paint.

When I am using a transparent paint I may want a certain amount of opacity at times. Liquitex does not give me this. The New Masters does. The Alizarin hue was a surprise as it has a much more definite tendency to violet when mixed with Titanium White than the actual pigment. In fact it is nothing like Alizarin whatsoever. I can live with it, but for those who already have Quin Red I would say don't waste your money.

Dharma_bum
11-27-2010, 12:28 AM
Can anyone else comment on whether the OH's darken as they dry, like so many other acrylics do (except the new W+N)?

Dan

Mikey
11-27-2010, 04:24 AM
Darkening is not a problem with the OH acylics so far.

idylbrush
11-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Just an insight. This thread is over 2 years old and many of the participants are no longer including their input here. May be better advice to start a new thread.

Charlie's Mum
11-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Mikey - I've moved these posts to a new thread because your comments and up-to-date materials deserve it! :)
I haven't tried these paints but after reading this, I'm tempted!

Mikey
11-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Many thanks for the new thread Idyl and Maureen. I am doing a portrait at the moment with the OH New Masters in the same manner as my oils, so this will give you a direct comparison.