PDA

View Full Version : Tiger - 1st pastel attempt

online art
12-28-2002, 08:25 AM
Well I have had a go at pastels for the first time and I must admit I find them really difficult to use - they seem much harder to use than my favorite medium oils.

I should have made my first attempts just practice ones, but as usual my practice pieces turn into full works.

There are a few things I am almost happy with on the tiger (eyes) and lots that I really hate, but I guess things can only get better.

I started using pastels as I thought that they would be a great medium to take out in the field for sketches and perhaps this is exactly how I should use them and leave the real pastels to the experts like Gaka and Tom. lol

I doubt that I will ever finish this one, so I'll crack on with my owl again.

Luvy
12-28-2002, 11:47 AM
Wow I'd be impressed if I could do that well with pastels *S* I've been using them for the past 6 months or so. I love them

Dark_Shades
12-28-2002, 12:28 PM
Great minds think alike :) .... Ive just done a tiger too :D ..... this is looking good Jason

Caron
12-28-2002, 12:30 PM
Jason, your braver then me, I havent even pulled mine out of the box yet...lol Is this being done with a combination of the two or are you focusing on one or the other? I would be interested to know...Have you used the shapers in this? It looks like you may have in places...
I too like the look of the eyes and also the pink of his nose but my favourite part is the ear. You are achieving depth there. Keep drudging along and I know it will look great. It really is looking wonderful so far...:) I can only dream of having my creation look as good as this does Jason...:D

mel-ink
12-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Wow! This is fantastic for a first attempt! What sort of paper are you using? I think you've done a great job and hope you consider a few more pastels, I think you'll be very happy with the results if you give yourself a chance :) !

:clap: :clap: :clap:

online art
12-28-2002, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the nice comments -

Hi Mel-ink - I'm using Canson, Mi-Teintes paper - the back side cos it has less texture - don't know if I did right there? Sandy coloured.

Hi Caron, this is a combination of the two types without the shapers so far. Bet you'll blow me away when you use them yourself. I'm going on holidays for a few days so I might leave this one alone for a few days then come back to it.

Hi Dark Shades, I'd like to see that Tiger.

Hi Luvy, I like the initial pastel experience, but I'm finding it frustratin when I know I can do something so easily in oils but just can't do it in pastels yet, I'll stick with it though.

crazeejumper
12-28-2002, 02:22 PM
Beautiful tiger! Can't believe it's only your 1st attempt! I think you should definitely keep pursuing pastels!

elizabeth ours
12-29-2002, 12:10 AM
wow, beautiful. i did pastels a long time ago - i found them hard to control, and i don't like the feel of them on my fingers.

Gaka
12-29-2002, 02:29 AM
Hi Online

You are going just great considering that you are using the medium for the first time, Every painting is a learning experience and after all these years I am still learning. I am never ever 100% happy with "any" of my work.

If it wasn't fruuuuustratiiin it would be tooooo easy, Peeeeease dont give up, I cant wait to see it finished!!!

Great start...Gaka

Leaflin
12-29-2002, 03:39 PM
GREAT First try Jason!!!!!
I think you should keep at it and give it more time.

After all........ Rome wasn't built in a day :D

They eyes are really looking good!

paintedhorses
12-29-2002, 06:13 PM
My gosh, this is a great start! Such deep rich color on the face, excellent eyes, don't get discouraged, obviously you have a huge talent with pastels!

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Jeri

:cat: