PDA

View Full Version : Pastel on canvas panels?

JamieWG
12-26-2002, 02:22 PM
I was just wondering....I've got tons of these Frederix canvas panels here in all different sizes. They are gesso-primed canvas glued to a cardboard base. Can these be used for pastels? (Please don't laugh too hard at me! :D)

Jamie

BruceF
12-26-2002, 03:07 PM
Experiment!!! :clap:

Try it and see what happens and let us know the results.

KarenU
12-26-2002, 03:55 PM
Tho I've never tried it, I'd think you'd be able to use these. If it were me, I might want to add another layer of "priming" using either pumice or marble dust mixed with acrylic or gesso just to give a bit more even tooth to the surface for pastels. I agree with Bruce tho...give it a try and let us know how it goes! :D

JamieWG
12-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Karen and Bruce, well, you asked for it. Don't do it!!! I just tried and it's a miserable failure. Fortunately, it took me less than 5 minutes to figure that out. lol.....I guess the problem is in the gesso of the primed canvas---it definitely does not want to accept the pastel the way paper tooth does. In fact, you could almost say it repels the pastel because when you go to tap off the excess, almost all of it comes off. When you try to blend with a tortillion, etc., it also all comes off. I can't see any potential to build up layers on it, even though I tried and tried in a small area.

Jamie

BruceF
12-27-2002, 01:28 PM
Well, at least it was a quick test.

I think Karen's idea of using something mixed with gesso to give the canvas some more tooth might be a good idea to try out.

JamieWG
12-27-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by BruceF
Well, at least it was a quick test.

I think Karen's idea of using something mixed with gesso to give the canvas some more tooth might be a good idea to try out.

Okay, Bruce, but I'll let you try that one. :D

Jamie