PDA

View Full Version : oil painting over colored pencils

Crystal1
11-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Is it okay to use colored pencils to base in your colors, and then oil paint over them? I guess that the water color pencils would be okay, if the colored pencils aren't. What brand/type do you think would work best? Do I need to use a sealer and what kind? Thanks for any help you can give me. ;)

Goewyn
11-21-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't know about larger areas of colored pencil, but I do use them occasionally. Sometimes I'll do the initial sketch in a colored pencil so it won't show like graphite. Other times, I'll use it on top of dry oils to add some sketchiness to the painting, or to define lines (whiskers, branches, other details) - sometimes I'll even paint on top of that once I have the lines placed.

I've never had problems with them smearing, even when applying varnish - although you might see some smearing if you use turps (I don't).

-- Linda

Crystal1
11-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks a lot Linda. I don't use turps, either.

JamieWG
11-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Not only can you use colored pencils under oil paintings, but you can also add oil paint to your colored pencil pieces, or as a washy underpainting, as long as you size your paper first. They melt right into one another; it's a fabulous mixed media combination.

Jamie

Eduardo Flores
11-23-2010, 06:28 AM
I do not see problems: colored pencils have a wax, greasy base that is well accepted by oil paint: wax may enter in the composition of oil paints.

Eduardo

Patrick1
11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Wouldn't the wax prevent the oil from adhering?

Adriantmax
11-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I hadn't really considered it before but one of the most inert mediums for oils is wax medium it makes sense that colour pencils would be compatible.

The color pencils I have tried don't work with putty rubbers otherwise I would have tried them for drawing my composition on the canvas by now.

karenlee
11-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Adrian, could you please explain what you mean by this--"one of the most inert mediums for oils is wax medium."

Crystal1
11-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks all of you, so much! I am really starting to enjoy drawing with the colored pencils, and I'm glad that I can continue to use them in oil paintings. I appreciate the time you've taken to help me out.