PDA

View Full Version : Pink Cyclamen

davepuls
11-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Pink cyclamen painted from life, but have turned out somewhat semi-abstract! Cryla acrylics on card, painted with painting knives. The colours are ultramarine, titanium white, cadmium yellow, pthalo green and quinacridone magenta. 6x6 inches. Photographed in bright sunlight, from a low angle to bring out the impasto texture.

Please let me know what you think!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2010/188291-Pink_cyclamen_v1.jpg

Bertoni
11-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I like the dimensionality here. Great color...:thumbsup:
Looks like you had fun painting this one!

OkeeKat
11-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I just love your textures you achieve with the impasto and palette knife, great work Dave!

vmrs
11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
wow, I love this. How long does that take to dry?

purplepansey
11-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Great texture, looks wonderful, you sure know howto use a knife, didn't you do Susan's too Bright, cheerful, and eye catching.

davepuls
11-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Bertoni - yes, it is lots of fun. A very quick painting, no time to mess around, so it is very unpredictable, but nice to get surprises from your own painting!

Virginia - the thin paint (like the blue background) dried overnight, but the heavy impasto took about 48 hours to dry. I can't be too specific, though - I sometimes try the "touch dry" test, and leave finger prints in the paint. So, best to leave it for a couple of days at least. I can't imagine how long it would take to dry if it was in oils!

Purple - yes, I've done lots of impasto flowers, and I think I might return to the black eyed susans again. Or maybe poinsettia??

ladypainter
11-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I love the texture and your unique style with these paintings. Beautiful work

davepuls
11-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Thanks Elinor. I'm never quite sure whether I like them or not, but there are always aspects of my paintings that I like and want to build on. I like that that they are unpredictable and experimental...

arl
11-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Wonderful textures and colors.

davepuls
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Thanks Arlene!

plec
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
really like your flower paintings Dave, with this one
i feel the thickness of the stalks upset the balance of the image. I know it is difficult to paint thin lines with a knife one way I have tried is to paint on the stalk colour first and allow it to dry. then when the rest of the colours are on you can scratch out the stalks in finer detail.
Ken.

chammi kaiser
11-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Gosh Dave , you really are prolific. I am so aware of the joy you are having in painting these works. They are full of life and I like them very much.

davepuls
11-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Ken - I think I'll try that. A different colour underpainting, to match the stalks. I have always previously used ultramarine for the first layers, so that adding yellow on top gives a nice green, but that should be an interesting experiment.

Chammi - yes, it is great fun, and amazing how quick it is to complete these - probably only half an hour from start to finish (although I am also attempting to do a little bit of planning now!)

motherundercover
11-25-2010, 08:05 AM
This looks like a lot of fun Dave. I do agree with Ken about the thickness of the stalks. The under painting, scratching out idea sounds promising.

davepuls
11-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Peta. I reckon this type of painting is all about experimenting, so I am grateful for new ideas.

Chrisp47
11-25-2010, 01:59 PM
:thumbsup: Great painting, I have never tried painting with that technique, you have inspired me to give it a go.

davepuls
11-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi Chris - give it a go, it's easier than it looks! Don't worry about copying someone else's style - just experiment and keep on going!