PDA

View Full Version : Almost there but colors not right

CSimchik
11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
I have a reference photo for this adorable male orange tabby (with a bit of stray siamese I think). Somehow I am having problems with getting the color right. I have tried mixing cad red, with naples yellow and white, and a bit of burnt sienna but it is too orange. This is painted with burnt sienna with white and I see now it is too light. I will try to post the ref photo too. Thanks for the help-Christmas gift and 4 more to get done. 6x6" acrylic on Ampersand panel. Any help would be most appreciated!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2010/83049-Claus0006.jpg

fiddlinjohn
11-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Wonderful job!!!!

CSimchik
11-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Thank you Fiddlinjohn- I am on to my next one until I can come up with a better mix for him. I cannot seem to resize my ref photo tonite.

OkeeKat
11-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Great work so far, Love the angle of this little one.
Try some Raw Sienna, naples yellow and maybe some cad orange with a touch of tit white.. maybe even have to darken it a bit with some burnt umber or the burnt sienna with the reddish tint to it..it might take a bit to figure out how to mix to get the colors of your little one! all kinda a trial and error.
Her eyes seem like the can use some shading just under the lids or around the bottom, it helps give them a more rounded look, more 3D. look at the ref photo realy carefully, there are alot of colors in the iris of the eyes. especially cats.
Good luck!:wave:

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks Kathie-I will be painting today-knew the eyes weren't finished and of course the hair is not complete either. I tend to take the painting down to view it from other light and away from my easel and found the colors were too light or washed out compared to photo. Will try your suggestions and check back later. Thanks for your help. I am on a feline kick right now!

Vany89
11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I would also say you could try sienna and some brown colors. Also some orange an ochre. It looks a bit peachy, but you could try some foxred and some brown tones... I'm looking forward to see it :)
btw you've done a great job on the eyes and nose!

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Foxred? Sounds right- but I use Liquitex and have not heard of it. Off to the easel for awhile.
Many thanks again...Claus is a joy to paint! -love WC!!

Vany89
11-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I meant this color :)

http://www.lederzentrum.de/images/lederpflege/farbmuster/4/bmw-fuchsrot.jpg

I think you've to mix this color on your palette :) I think some sienna, red, brown and perhaps some black and orange. Try to get a Result like this and make some nuances with a light raw umber and titan buff :)
I think this will come out great, if you chose some darker colors.

purplepansey
11-21-2010, 02:20 PM
YOur cat has a really sweet face and hope you work out the colors for it because it will be a beautiful painting, love the pose.

Lady Carol
11-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Do you have a ref photo of the cat? Not sure I can see where the problem is .

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2010/83049-DSC00776_-_Copy.JPG Here is the ref photo...

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 03:36 PM
eech-eyes so big!! as you can see I am an amateur with the computer.

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2010/83049-Claus2.jpg

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Wow-I am sorry it is so big. This is what I have done today. Experimented with Yellow ochre, tit.white and a bit of raw umber. Then I also added my mix of cad. orange and ultramarine blue that I diluted with Tit. white to make my greys. I still need to finish of course but will set it aside as I ponder if the coloring is right still.

Vany89
11-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Huhu :)

Very good. I like it. It looks lovely I think. You could use a little bit more ochre, as I can see from the reference, that there is a little bit more ochre in the light brown fur, but it's already great :)

Patrick1
11-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Candy, 'color'-wise, your kitty is good. But compare the tonal values with the original - by viewing from a distance or by squinting heavily. For example, you can see that the nose & mouth area in the reference is almost as dark as the eyes. It could also partly be that your pic turned out very light.

Considering how light kitty is, even in the reference, you might want to build up the darks in the background to contrast against kitty. Compositionally, the background adds interest - but of course it shouldn't stand out too much or have much detail or hard edges.

CSimchik
11-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Thank you Patrick-I have done this in the past but failed to think of it this time! I have darkened the nose a bit with a glaze changed the neck shadows and added a bit more highlighting. I deepened the color values on the fur and the background. I am going on with my next feline-a calico and will come back to the tabby tomorrow after a few hrs away from him. I will post then but welcome any other C&C's as I have not added the whiskers yet.

CSimchik
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2010/83049-Claus0008.jpg Thanks also to Vany-
I moved on to another last night but this morning came back with my tea in hand and proceeded to look at the scan you sent Patrick. I have looked closely at the values in a few areas and adjusted. Just for anyone who might like to know. I found that raw sienna and yellow ochre seemed to work. I think I am done. I added whiskers but wonder how I might go about getting whiskers in over the white fur to stand out a bit. Let me know what you think. Happy Thanksgiving to all and many thanks.

ladypainter
11-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Looks fantastic an a good close up. The eyes are beautifully done.

CSimchik
11-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Looks fantastic an a good close up. The eyes are beautifully done.
I like your quote Elinor-and thanks. I am trying! Any suggestions for the whiskers? :cat: I tried to yellow them and tried to blue them-maybe not enough.
Or maybe I should try a bit of Gesso.