PDA

View Full Version : Painting on Raw Unprimed Canvas

jrcody
11-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I love to paint with watery acrylic paints on raw unprimed canvas. I love the results,but I am having problems when I try to paint or glaze certain parts of painting. (uneven finish)
Also how would I tackle varnishing unprimed canvas?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Patrick1
11-19-2010, 06:38 PM
By uneven finish do you mean uneven gloss levels? Once the paintings is done I'd imagine you could apply varnish just as you would to any acrylic painting, unless there is a reason there are difficulties in doing so.

If you're using watery enough paints (which you seem to be) I'd guess that adhesion to/into the canvas would not be a problem. But I don't know if there is a possibility of chemical interaction between the paint and the cotton canvas material.

tonyjazz
11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Welcome to the forum. Lots of info available here from helpful artists. Varnishing would be the same as in any other painting on canvas. However I don't know what the long term effects would be in respect to adhesion , as Patrick1 mentioned. I always use primed canvases. Are you making your own supports and covering them in raw unprimed canvas?
Post your art and let us see what the result is......I'm sure more artists here should have some more input on this subject.....Look forward to see your artworks soon....................TJ

Einion
11-20-2010, 03:50 AM
Hi, welcome to WC and the forum.

I love to paint with watery acrylic paints on raw unprimed canvas. I love the results,but I am having problems when I try to paint or glaze certain parts of painting. (uneven finish)
That's to be expected. Apart from thinner areas typically having a matter finish than something thicker (because the paint is being absorbed into the canvas) some acrylic ranges have a surprisingly large range of gloss levels when dry.

Also how would I tackle varnishing unprimed canvas?
Generally you wouldn't; ideally you'd want to treat the finished piece like it was done on paper and frame in a glazed frame.

Einion