PDA

View Full Version : Environment and its effects on creativity

Shehaub
12-22-2002, 07:46 AM
Having just moved and getting settled in, I am surprised at how an extreme change in environment can affect creativity. I am struggling to get my thoughts to settle down enough to actually create. There are new trees to draw, new people, new scenes, new everything. It is like I dont know where to start, so I cannot seem to start anything. My art supplies were packed in a box for over 4 months while I waited anxiously to use them. I thought that when I did get my hands on them again, I would produce one thing right after another. Boy was I wrong!

I am not sure if having all these new people looking at my sketches and loose studies is affecting my constant fear of creating a disaster, or if it is just too much information getting stored in my head at one time. The internal critic is right on top of every idea and stopping me before I really begin.

To battle the lack of creativity, I am starting to work on my lessons from Nicolaides "The Natural Way to Draw". I am hoping that by doing some of these studies that I can slow down a bit in thought and just draw again. Perhaps by just doing some "studies" I wont have to feel like I am pressured to create a masterpiece to awe the new crowd.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

sunny
12-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Shehaub,
I can't relate totally with you. As of yet I have never had to battle the lack of creativity. I have however had to be in the mood to clean....:D

I can sympathize with you however. Don't set yourself up to such a high standard right off the bat. You don't have to create with the intention of creating a masterpiece...You're on the right track by studying and doing some drawing...might just get your flow back.

Good luck to you...relax and have a blast!!!!:clap:

Let us know how you are doing.

KPowe
12-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Shehaub,

I call it a creativity block for myself. Kind of like the writer's block we always hear of. I have found that by going through the motions like you are doing, I can get back into the joy of actually creating. If I wait for the "masterpiece" or even a "good idea" to come to me, I don't do anything. Even painting formula pieces can grow into something greater than I planned - once I get started.

Have patience with yourself and keep on making stuff.

Gisele
12-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Shehaub, everytime I change location I have the 6 months adjustments to go through; grounding into the new environment sort of thing in every sense of the word. Take your time to discover your new surroundings and approach it with a child like wonder. Try it!

Gisele:)