PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Jelly Jar

Jona
12-19-2002, 03:17 PM
I hope this is the right place for this thread. I painted this jar with Genesis heat set paints, and used a pattern for the jar on this one so I was not sure where to post. This is my second painting with the genesis paints. I posted the first one in the oil painting section, however since they are not traditional oils, I did not want to risk upsetting anyone posting there again.

I painted this on paper textured like canvas. Maybe next time I will actually try a real canvas. I think I will frame this and hang it in the kitchen.

I just learning to paint, and any comments would be welcomed.

paintfool
12-21-2002, 01:47 PM
Hi Jona. You are most certainly welcomed to post this in the oil forum if you wish. The Genesis paints are more closely related to traditional oils than any thing else and the handling techniques are similar enough that i'd think that it would be easiest to learn to handle them by posting this there. The choice is yours, of course but i will support all discussions on Genesis paints in the oil forum. Regardless of recent posts on the topic there are some really informative threads on them there.
Please do tell me though what you meant by 'pattern'. I agree that it would make an adorable kitchen piece! :) Thanks
Cheryl

Rose Queen
12-21-2002, 01:58 PM
I don't know what's going on in the oil forum, Jona, but if they made you feel even slightly unwelcome, then shame on them! :mad:

This is a lovely piece; makes me want to reach out and take a dollop for my toast!

paintfool
12-21-2002, 02:39 PM
What Jona is refering to is a recent discussion on this medium, which to condense into a few words, boils down to the fact that these paints are not of the same chemical make up as traditional oils and the labeling of them as such may cause confusion for some who are deciding on a purchase. Since Jonas questions are about how to create paintings and not about the chemical properties i would think that she'd receive some very good input on her work in the oil forum as far as composition, color, etc. The discussion is welcomed there. :) However, if anyone is uncomfortable in a particular forum and needs technical advice i would like to suggest they consider the open critique forum as an alternative. But i reiterate, we'd be more than happy to help in the oil forum too and i don't want anyone to feel as though works done in Genesis are not welcomed there! They are. :)
Cheryl

Jona
12-22-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by paintfool
Please do tell me though what you meant by 'pattern'. I agree that it would make an adorable kitchen piece! :) Thanks
Cheryl

By a pattern, I mean that I did not draw this free hand. It was a project in a book on Genesis paints.

I am working on drawing my own designs for my next painting. This jelly jar was just a quick exercise for me to learn how to blend and shade and highlight the paints.

I will go ahead and post my next Genesis painting in the oils forum then. I just did not want to upset anyone. I agree that there are techniques, and pointers on composition, color that I can learn from other oil painters. This type of painting is new for me.

Rose.... I also paint decorative painting in acrylics using the one stroke method. I will post those here as they are more in a decorative tole style.

Strawberry Wine
01-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Good enough to eat Very Yummy!

Gail

Ruth
01-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Welcome! The Still Life forum needs a little livening up now and then, you could put your lovely work there, as well. Also check out Landscapes if you're doing those, and Portraiture forum if you do that!

Looks like you could teach us a thing or two!
:D

Ruth

Jona
01-03-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks Ruth. I am working on a landscape right now. I guess I could post WIP as I go on it. It is a the lighthouse at Fire Island in New York, landscapses are a first for me.

inisheerstudio
01-22-2003, 12:21 AM
I want cherry jelly!:evil: