PDA

View Full Version : Off on another Spectrum tangent!

quill
12-19-2002, 10:55 AM
I am so thrilled with my new torch. Not only am I turning out twice as many beads in the same amount of time but for the first time I am enjoying making sets, as well as small beads. Before it just took too long to make a bead to spend time on spacers or making the same bead over.

At any rate yesterday I made some nice simple Spectrum beads -
here are the small ones (7mm by 10mm)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2002/softwc.jpg

and some my 'normal' size

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Dec-2002/softwc2.jpg

I hope you all don't mind, just had to show them off!

swamperfolk
12-19-2002, 10:58 AM
ooooooouh, pronouced like smooooooth - that spectrum is gold in your hands - I love the look and the etching is perfect for those.

AlexM
12-19-2002, 12:13 PM
Oooooh! Those are lovely! I agree with Linda, etching is perfect with those!

Alex

gwacie
12-19-2002, 12:16 PM
You always get such creamy looks with your spectrum Quill....next time I go on a glass binge I will definately investigate this stuff. Lovely work as always.

Lampburke
12-19-2002, 12:30 PM
Other than the fact that you make it look delicious, what are the differences between Spectrum and Moretti? Stiffer, more melty, different colors...??

BAM
12-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Very pretty. I love Spectrum, I should use it more. Thanks for sharing!
Betty

ValorieCox
12-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Linda, What a difference a new torch can make, huh? You are doing great, these look fantastic! Great colors, texture and size consistancy. Glad you shared these with us! Valorie

quill
12-19-2002, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone.They really are more 'glowy' in hand.

what are the differences between Spectrum and Moretti? Stiffer, more melty, different colors...??

Yes stiffer & a lot of different colors. I especially like the 'streakies'.
You get such nice beads from just one piece of glass when you use them.

Also, Spectrum is a lot cheaper than Moretti. At least for me up here in the wilds of BC.

beaderpaine
12-19-2002, 03:12 PM
You really work magic with the lovely Spectrum colors! I've made some beads with this glass, but mine don't hold a candle to yours! I've just gotten some Dip N'Etch and can't wait to try it on some of my Spectrum beads! I've made some plain beads out of a transparent dark amethyst that are so dark they look almost black, but I'll bet it will be a gorgeous deep purple when etched!

I probably missed it in earlier discussions, but what kind of torch did you get? I've bought a National 8M with the medium tip but don't have an oxygen concentrator yet, so haven't been able to try it. I think I'll work with the Spectrum more with the hotter torch. I kind of loose patience with the HotHead because it is pretty slow going.

Thanks for sharing these lovely beads!

BrendaJ
12-19-2002, 03:51 PM
ooooooooooooooh my! Those are so cool and dreamy looking.

What is the COE of spectrum?

Maybe one day I'll give it a try, cause it sure looks yummy!!!!!!
Great job!:clap:
BrendaJ

Beadbimbo
12-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Beautiful colors, and the etching really makes them!

Jerri

Queen of Tides
12-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi Quill,
just wondering, since I have a lot of Bullseye from fusing, will the streakies look as cool? Have you worked with Bullseye sheet before? I also have this great glittery dark green Bullseye sheet that I might try too.

Curious

BlackDotMags
12-19-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by quill
I hope you all don't mind, just had to show them off!

Mind? Mind?? Of *course* we don't mind, ya silly!
I'm just drooling over the top set, quill. The white on white and the peachy-orangies...oooohhh!! :cool:

~Mag

quill
12-19-2002, 06:11 PM
Brenda, Spectrum is 96 COE.

just wondering, since I have a lot of Bullseye from fusing, will the streakies look as cool? Have you worked with Bullseye sheet before?

Bullseye streaky makes lovely beads. I would use it a lot more if it wasn't so expensive.

what kind of torch did you get

I got a wonderful lttle Bobcat. Like Val says, what a difference a torch makes.

Allison Turner
12-19-2002, 06:35 PM
hmmm. I have some yummy sheets of spectrum. What's the annealing temp on that?
Those are soooo pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!

mistymade
12-19-2002, 06:58 PM
Oh Wow! Those are gorgeous! They really look delicious!!!

Misty:D

jessicah
12-19-2002, 11:15 PM
Quill
Those are awsome beads. Seeing the wonderful colours makes me think I will have to try spectrum. I saw it at the glass store yesterday, but instead bought some new moretti colours. I love the streaky effect of your beads. Glad to see you're enjoying the new torch
Jessica

quill
12-19-2002, 11:15 PM
What's the annealing temp on that?

It's 950 for Spectrum.

juliecab
12-22-2002, 08:40 AM
Ohhhh, wow, quill--those are great! Those are such great shape and love the streaky glass -- those would go so good with jeans and a suede shirt I have ;) I'll be watching your auctions :) LOVE THEM!!!! I have to get some spectrum sometime, but I am scared of cutting it :(

juliecab
12-22-2002, 08:43 AM
Quill, I forgot to ask -- what's your best tip for transition to the Bobcat? I am having quite a time--of course, not too many hours behind me yet on the new torch, which I would suppose is the most critical thing!

toozygoot
12-22-2002, 10:52 AM
Quill - I just love the look you get with Spectrum. It works so well for you. I am going to get around to using it myself one of these days. I love looking at your beads.

pat

Lenda
12-22-2002, 11:39 AM
Linda, congrats on your new torch, looks like you made the transition very well. The Spectrum takes on a life of its own, very dreamy, flowing. I really LOVE the green color, very fresh!!! A job well done!:D

quill
12-22-2002, 03:06 PM
what's your best tip for transition to the Bobcat?

Well, I am no expert but I would say-"work way farther out."

I actually melted a mandrel. (Don't tell anybody though.)