PDA

View Full Version : Uart Sanded Paper by the roll

Topdecker
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I just wanted to briefly share my experience with a roll of Uart 600 grit sanded paper...

I've should start by stating why I went with a roll of Uart sanded paper: cost. With a good weekend discount coupled with free shipping, a square inch of paper was well below half the cost per square inch of of pre-cut uart sheets.

The roll arrive and, to be honest, I was poorly prepared for working solo with a 56" wide roll of paper. I'd thought to make a temporary roller for it, but the tube moved with enough force to sort of ruin a make-shift roller that I'd planned.

I ended up laying down blank newsprint on my dining table (to keep the sand paper from sanding the table). I parked the back of several chairs along the backside of the roll to keep it from rolling off the table - and I put more scrap paper on the chairs to protect them.

At this point, I had 3 feet unrolled with the sanded-side of the paper down. I made a few templates of various sizes and basically traced them and then cut them out using sissors.

One of the problems with working on a roll is that the only true/straight edges are on the top and bottom of the roll. So I was very careful to line-up and utilize the edges to keep my tracings as square as possible.

Once the paper was cut, it would curl up badly. I originally started pressing the paper flat, but this was not too effective. I wrote the makers of the paper and was told to roll it in reverse and to rubber band it down for 30 minutes.

Ok, not having rubber bands, I guessed and bought 1/2" wide by 3" bands and they did a great job, not pinching the paper, but holding it as rolled. I found that the 30 minutes suggested was not enough - about 2 hours worked well for me, though I suspect that a higher humidity would have needed less time.

Anyhow, it was not that difficult, but yes, it did take several hours of effort to make up for my poor planning. Having a clean work surface that cannot harm or be harmed by the paper, having a plan for your cuts (straight line rules, chaulk on a string, templates, etc), and knowing what dimensions to cut the paper would have make a big difference in the time spent and would have made the process more enjoyable, which is why I am sharing this.

Tim

Lynndidj
11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
Wow Tim - it kind of sounds like wrestling with an octopus!! I do love the UArt, but the cost can be prohibitive, especially when I had it mounted on matboard. Of course, were I to do this it would require me to thoroughly clean my studio so I COULD unroll it somewhere and cut it ... not going to happen before Christmas!! Thanks for the tips though - especially for those who want to work really large, the roll is the only way to go.

Lynn

Dcam
11-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Tim: Sorry buddy: I hate anything on a roll even if it is a good deal. What you went thru is the very reason.
My Sympathy.
Derek

Potoma
11-16-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm sorry, but this made me laugh! I've never dealt with a roll larger than gift wrap. I love Uart, but now I know that rolls are not for me. Thanks for providing that insight.

Topdecker
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
Tim: Sorry buddy: I hate anything on a roll even if it is a good deal. What you went thru is the very reason.
My Sympathy.
Derek

Oh, no need for sympathy, though I appreciate the thought. It is frustrating at first, but it becomes predictable and far less bothersome once you've gotten some time in with it.

Since I have already paid the price of my education, I will certainly be doing this again.

Tim