PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dry Cafe 11/14-11/20

noodle1
11-14-2010, 08:30 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Another week, moving right along we are..haha
Brought with me some coffee and cinnamon sweet rolls, bagels for those who don't need the sugar..haha and juice. Very "frosty" here this morning.

Wake up Shirl..haha how'd the switch over go and thanks for clarifying I must have missed something cause I didn't know you did that. Hey income is income..:thumbsup:

Hi Howard hope you got a few things sorted out so you're not worrying about them, car in good shape is a good thing, Morning Miss Carol, Kathie, Sue, Patti, Mary, Robert, Oz, Kathrin, Bell, Linda, Raymo my man and his little man..teehee, hope everyone had a good Saturday and today even better.

So bring on the chatter I'll see you later,

Hugs all round,
Elaine

PattiLou
11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Good morning Elaine and those to follow.

I went garage sale-ing Friday, lol. Picked up 4-frames for $3.00. They were small, 3 4x6 and 1 odd size (similar to 8x10). I liked the frame and didn't care if it was odd... will just have to deal with it.:lol:

Then, in the afternoon I painted. Yesterday I painted and played in the studio most of the day, but had to quit when we met my daughter and grandson at the Longhorn Steakhouse... she took us out for my birthday dinner. Sweet kid! :heart: My grandson was talking about a new video game he bought and is becoming quite a critic on the graphics. He said they were not as good as they should be considering all the technical stuff they have now. I saw the ad for the game and they looked awsome to me but then I remember when all we had was "PONG", talk about a lack of graphics.:D

Looks like another beautiful day... better get busy, have lots to do.

noodle1
11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh dear Patti did I miss your birthday, I am soooo sorry if I did, can't remember one day to the next, well if I didn't it's a year long celebration teehee so Happy Belated Birthday, um get into the thirties yet. It's amazing how these kids pick up on that stuff, my grandsons sound like yours and when I was little we were still playing with rocks..hahaha Live action..graphics were pretty dang good tho..haha So you came home with treasures, always a plus regardless.

I went shopping with Jess yesterday, stores crowded but I have no clue what they are all buying, I'm so tired of malls..haha Then we went to dinner and Pier 1 is right next to the place we ate and of course I always have to go look, I think I just like how it smells in there..haha Anway I found a couple of treasures myself unfortunately not really bargains but cute all the same.
The first were Christmas soaps and the second what I thought were really cool desert plates...here take a peek, don't ya think they're cute, no buying paper doileys this year..haha Wish they had had a big plate for cookies, I'm such a sucker for tableware and kitchen anything.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2010/139027-Little-Christmas-soaps.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Nov-2010/139027-Little-desert-dishes.jpg

I know should have been looking for gifts but will just make this mine..haha
Seems the bigger the kids get the harder it gets to figure something out, so I've started just asking and ya get one thing and I'm done, then can go celebrate Christmas and keep presents the smaller part where it belongs..LOL LOL

Started painting, going to evening Mass and Larry's out working on Lori's washer, it died. Can't get into the mood tho, been distracted last few days,
but just came back in to see who was up. Should make the most of time alone so back to it.

Hugs,
Elaine

Shirl Parker
11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Good morning everybody and welcome to the new week. It was a little quiet in here last week.

Hello Elaine. Boy, I could go for some of those sweet rolls, and coffee, always. Phew, I got my Mac power cable back yesterday afternoon. I lent it to a friend on Friday so she could charge up. She got a new Macbook slightly used from someone and it was missing the power adapter. I managed on my iPad, but I still missed my main computer. For one thing, I've been thinking of taking the free trial from artistsnetwork.tv, but it won't play on the iPad for lack of the flash player.

I'd best be getting to walking the dogs. I'm going to have to do them one at a time now. Yesterday, I tried the 3-some that I could do with the other two, but these dogs are little bigger and stronger, and when they see another dog, very hard to hold back. It's also got something to do with how well trained they are, NOT.

Ozone
11-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Shirl,

Why is there no Adobe Flash on the iPad? Adobe says it’s not because it’s buggy (http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-source-adobes-flash-is-too-buggy-for-the-ipad/28540), as an Apple source claimed this afternoon to CultofMac.com.

It’s because Apple is protecting revenue streams derived from content like movies and games. If users could watch free TV shows on Hulu, they wouldn’t buy them through iTunes.

And that is exactly how Bill Gates set back the entire computer industry by 30 years. And now Jobs, the maverick with a cult following is seen to have an equally large commercial heart as well. Still, I would never buy a windows product, and regret Microsoft products being installed on my Mac...

At your risk Shirl

http://adobe-flash-player.en.softonic.com/

Oz:)

Ozone
11-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I know my rooster crowed, but I just looked over my shoulder and

Happy Birthday Patti

M6hYSEf-Zzc

Shirl Parker
11-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Shirl,

And that is exactly how Bill Gates set back the entire computer industry by 30 years. And now Jobs, the maverick with a cult following is seen to have an equally large commercial heart as well. Still, I would never buy a windows product, and regret Microsoft products being installed on my Mac...

At your risk Shirl

http://adobe-flash-player.en.softonic.com/

You are probably right about all their motivations being greed, but nevertheless, some blame can go to artistsnetwork.tv for not making their videos in a format compatible with iPad or making an iPad app that could play them when you have a subscription.

idylbrush
11-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Took a moment this afternoon to play with the new paint just a little bit. It is certainly interesting. Still learning how to adapt to it.

I have afforded myself the luxury of a nap this afternoon. It felt good.

The trailer is just about ready for its cleaning before it gets put away for the winter. Carpets need to be washed walls need to be scrubbed down and all the utilities need to be winterized.

I have somehow managed to temporarily misplaced the cover for my iPad. I am sure it is in a nice safe place. It's just a place I can't find at the moment.

I am sure this will not come as a surprise… I am about to embark on rearranging the studio again. It seems to be an annual duty.

For dinner this evening I made a turkey meatloaf. Something I am going to have to get adjusted to I fear. I find the texture and the dryness a bit odd. Anybody have good recipes for it? So far I am underwhelmed.

noodle1
11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi Howard, I don't know how you usually prepare your meatloaf but when I tried this it turned out pretty good, surprisingly enough, hamburger is Larry's staple..haha not mine however.

I saute my minced onions in olive oil (cook til tender),
then add a bit of salt, pepper,
garlic cloves 2, (powder you have to judge),
cook stirring til onions tender (bout a minute) then stir in some Worcestershire sauce maybe 1 1/2 tbls,
1/3 of a cup of fat free, low sodium chicken broth
and you can add a tbl.of ketchup if to your liking stirred in.

Add 1 3/4 lbs x-tra lean or just lean ground turkey,
3/4 cup breadcrumbs and
1 large egg lightly beaten and
1 large egg white also lightly beaten, mix well and
add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper or whatever suits you with these, put the mixture in a bowl and let cool, it "will" be very moist.
Form your turkey mix and I put it on a baking sheet with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray. You can brush the meatloaf with 2 tbls. of ketchup if you like and bake for an hour. Or if you use a meat thermometer center should be 170 degrees.

It generally comes out really moist and it tastes good too, even later in a sandwich and it's healthy. I had to rearrange some of the things I was eating and meatloaf is a big like round here so this worked. I find working with ground turkey sometimes is difficult because there's little to no fat but I've been using it a lot, you end up adjusting as you go.

Well just seeing what you all have been up to, went to evening Mass got home grabbed a bite to eat and I'm ready for some sitting and watching tv.
Think I need to go hunt up desert..haha maybe just some chocolate pudding.
Have a good rest of your evening. See you tomorrow.

Nite Nite Raymo my man..:wave:

Hugs all round,
Elaine

Shirl Parker
11-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Good night Elaine.

Howard, my tactic for finding things I know are there is to look for something else. You won't find the something else, but you'll probably find the iPad cover.

dances_with_oils
11-15-2010, 03:11 AM
Hi all:

Happy belated birthday Patti! What are you... 29 now?

Nice plates and sopas Elaine... I may take a trip to the Pier 1 in Edmonton and pick up some of those plates... I'm such a crockery ho...

I found this neat little program for the computer that is used to create beading patterns... you can upload a picture and the program will convert it to beads, colour it and then prints out a nice chart. I'm kinda thinking how neat it would be to do a bead tapestry panel instead of the traditional threads/floss. Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ZBG13_wf8&feature=player_embedded)

Howard, I have a juicy meatloaf recipe... I'll pass it along to you after I dig out the cook book.

One thing about out here in the prairies is that folks put up their Christmas decorations right after Remembrance day while it's still relatively warm out... hubby however, thinks that only manly men wait until December and wusses do them in November... more to follow when it's minus 25 and he's outside putting up lights.... this ought to be good...heehee.

Hubby's beloved Saskatchewan Roughriders squeaked through to a playoff position... two rounds of OT did it. Hubby is happy... and it means he can wear his melonhead fan gear for a while longer.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, good going on the sales Mary!
Baby Sean's pics are awesome Ruth, cute pic of Merwyn, Ray.

biddlebeach
11-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Thank you Belle!!
Got woken up at 2:15 by Princess having another seizure.. totally out of the schedule...sigh..

PattiLou
11-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Grrr! Tried to read the threads last night and they would start to load then stop... very irritating.

Elaine, you didn't miss much, teehee, it comes every year and the alternative sucks! Bell, you guys are too funny... more like getting closer to, dare I say it... 70. Well, I got a couple years to go... but it is closer.:lol:

Thank you Oz, I liked the Everly Brothers. Use to have some of their records.

Elaine those soaps are really cute and love the dessert dishes. They do look like doilies.

Howard... just remember, when you are trying to find something it is always in the last place you look.:D

Glad things are working better at WC today. I have a meeting to attend this afternoon... not looking forward to sitting there. Rather be playing.

idylbrush
11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Already this morning I have been running around like a madman. A quick trip to the market to pick up a few things that I was missing from yesterday just for starters. Came home made bread which is in the oven right now and a large pot of low-fat, low sodium pasta fagioli. this is the first time I've ever made it with turkey and quite to my surprise it was rather tasty and. I had a home canned jar of zucchini and tomatoes which I used as part of the base. I just finished having a large bowl for lunch and I'm quite pleased.

This is not much going on in the art department recently, still trying to get things sorted. Played a little bit with the new paint but that's about the extent of my day so far. I have to run to the post office and to the mailing service and see if I get that taken care of. But, all of that has to wait until the bread comes out of the oven. Always something.

RPut
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Yippeee! Robbie just called--he's doing great and now I have an address!!!

Shirl Parker
11-15-2010, 05:54 PM
Where is he and how long will he be there?

OkeeKat
11-15-2010, 06:02 PM
HELLO ALL!!
Had a GREAT SHow this weekend!!
Sold two paintings and some notecards, which I printed this past week as well as two commissions!!
Besides that there was People Choice award, the Best, along with first and second place for the Artist catagory and Crafter catagory.
Well, I thought I had no chance as there were 6 different artists of the legendary Florida Highwaymen, two originals and rest second and third generations.. so thought the competition was tough, BUT....
I WON PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD. Best of the Best!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM SOOOOO EXCiTED!!! Great cash award!
one of the highwaymen won firstplace, phew, I was shocked to see I was chosen above them and they are good!!

computer is on the fritz again, can't boot it up..
I fell asleep on sofa sat nite after dinner at 7pm and got up for show early sunday, kids came over sunday eve, then bed early last night, computer still not working.. right now on hubbys, he be home soon.
did alot of errands, mailed painting sold last wk, she let me show this weekend.. and to the bank with my winnings! :)
its going in the shop tomorrow to try to retrieve my data and Dell is sending a tech by friday to install new hard drive.. so hope to reinstall my programs by weekend!
Hi and hugs to all, have alot to catch up on and two commissions to get going. besides starting on a mural on friday!!
Take care all

Shirl Parker
11-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Congratulations Kathie, great news. :clap:

RPut
11-15-2010, 08:57 PM
That's Great Kathie!!! I know you must be on cloud nine!!! Well done!

Shirl, Robbie left for Fort Benning Georgia on Nov. 1st and has been in "reception". Today he went "down range" (learning the lingo here...) to start his Basic Training. Now the fun will begin for him--LOL. Anyway, I was soooo disappointed when I missed his call on Sat. So when he called today to give me his address, I was thrilled to get to talk to him even for 5 minutes!

Waiting for my turn with Little Sean and veg in front of the TV.

idylbrush
11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
unfortunately, sleep has decided not to be my friend. I was up half the night, again! I can fall asleep fast, that is not the issue. I just can't stay asleep. I bolt out of bed with quite a start. Makes it difficult to get back to sleep again.

I have actually been painting a little bit. Not a whole lot as I still have a trailer that needs a lot of attention. In a spare moment or so I seem to find time to throw a little paint around.

I hope everybody has a great day and finds time to sit in front of an easel. U

dances_with_oils
11-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Morning folks:

A nice blustery day here.. snow and temps down to minus 10C and the forecast is for more snow and colder temps. Brrrrr.

Ruth, I'm so glad Robbie was able to call home - the time will zip past now that he's started BMQ. TLAs (which means three letter acronyms) will soon become part of your vernacular... keep this site handy for when he gets talking in nothing but acronyms - Military Speak (http://www.militarywords.com/)

Kathie, way to go... congrats on the sales and commissions.

I'm going to dig through the garage later today and see if I can sort out the Christmas decorations. In our other house, they were all stored in the basement where it was warm. This house, hubby has them in the garage... ugh.. cold out there.

Anyway, have a fab day folks, I'm off to sort lights and whatnots.

Lady Carol
11-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Thought I would drop in and say gidday :wave: before the week whisks by and I have lost the chance.

Still dealing with my nutty student. She is writing a review article and quite frankly it is terrible. Oh, that and dealing with her impending diagnosis of bipolar, which evidently runs in the family :rolleyes: THAT explains a lot of her behaviour. And with a diagnosis of that, she should not be in a lab anyway. All she needs is a suicidal day and she takes herself out with a stupid chemical combination and someone else who happens to be in the lab at the same time. She is bad mouthing me around to the other students, saying it was all my fault that she did not get any data, blah, blah, blah. It does not really bother me as it will end as soon as she leaves and forgotten about by next year. It just irritates my remaining student and staff. They were funny yesterday when they were telling me. They were very supportive and defensive of me which was kind of cute :)

Lady Carol
11-16-2010, 01:11 PM
one of the highwaymen won first place, phew, I was shocked to see I was chosen above them and they are good!!
Why would you be shocked? We all know how good you are

noodle1
11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hi Shirl finally made it here, how's your day been, mine seems to have flown by..haha

Congrats Kathie! See Carol always puts it just right!

Carol she's bipolar "and" has a persecution complex:rolleyes: or so it seems, she should go far and it won't be too soon for you I imagine. I'm glad they're supportive of you and why wouldn't they be.

Oh Bell snow :eek: I must say I don't envy you that. It'll hit us later and the rate we seem to be going I'm crossing my fingers for way later..haha It's just raining and yukky here today but not cold, has been cold then warm again, back and forth and more rain then in the summer when it was useful..haha Sort lights..oh not my favorite thing but you're probably way better organized then I am..lol

Ruthie so happy you got to speak to Robbie, know that must make you feel a bit better. And snugglin' with Sean well that's not so bad either..teehee.

Howard I so hope your sleep cycle gets back to normal, but you're painting again that's got to be a good feeling.

Hi Patti, Mary, Sue, Robert, Oz, Kathrin, Linda, Raymo my man just made it in in time to say Nite Nite..haha.

It's only going on 5pm here and looks like the middle of the night, being dark all day makes it even darker if that's possible. Just about to serve Larry his Birthday dinner but wanted to check in. Hope everyone has a good night.

See you tomorrow,
Hugs all round,
Elaine

Ozone
11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
... She is bad mouthing me around to the other students, saying it was all my fault that she did not get any data, blah, blah, blah. It does not really bother me as it will end as soon as she leaves and forgotten about by next year.

I think it does bother you Carol. You can make the hard decision, but your skin in not "hard bark." And, I'm glad of that.

There is much bad mouthing here at WC as well, and it is passed on until a person just leaves in discuss. But your problem will just "time out."

They say dentist have a hard way to go because they must deliver pain directly. Some dentist find this out to late and waste lots of time on schooling. My first dentist used to pedal a machine like an early sewing machine. When it got up to speed he would start grinding, I shot him of course.

:music:
And I turned twenty-one in prison

Doing life without parole

No-one could steer me right but Carol tried, Carol tried
Carol tried to teach me better

But her teaching I denied

That leaves only me to blame, 'cause Carol tried :music:

Hey, you in the corner, you may come out now if you have learned your lesson. Damn, she is wearing me out, "I'm not sixteen anymore."

idylbrush
11-17-2010, 08:03 AM
I was able to get the Apple TV set up yesterday. What a treat. Unfortunately it was also expensive. I ended up having to buy a new TV set. my old TV set, a CRT model was nearly 20 years old but still working. Unfortunately the new technology requires new connectors which are just not available on older sets. So, a new TV.

trying to take it easy but there's so much that needs to be done. The house looks like a tornado hit it. Moving things in from the trailer always creates a certain amount of chaos. The studio, unfortunately, takes the brunt of it until I can get around straightening it out.

Eventually it will work out, always seems to somehow.

Hope everybody has a great day and take some time to enjoy it. It's

biddlebeach
11-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Hello peepes!
rainy dreary day today,, sigh. my sis in law, who lost her husband recently is in town, we are going to sorta celebrate Thanksgiving tonight. HERE! :0
made Kahlua Pecan Pies the other night, made stuffing last night, am thinking since today is going to be not so nice, my afternoon lady will not come in so that will give me time to get home and get the turkey in the oven.. oy...
may be able to check in after I get that in. hope everyone has a great day today!

Shirl Parker
11-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Good morning Elaine, Mary, Howard, et al.

Howard, I have the same problem. I'm kind of interested in the Boxee Box, which allows you to pull programs off the air, like the good old days, but it requires HDTV, as does Google TV. If I come to my senses, I won't buy one. I already have a Vizio Blu-Ray player with internet applications, and I can watch NetFlix on my old TV with that.

idylbrush
11-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Oh the dilemma of modern technologies.

Making panettone today. Going rogue with it. Didn't have candied fruit so using dried cherries and cranberries along with the raisins. Could there be a panettone bread pudding in the future?

Lady Carol
11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Gidday Elaine, Kathy, Howard, Oz, Ruthie, Patti - Happy Birthday.

I think it does bother you Carol. You can make the hard decision, but your skin in not "hard bark." And, I'm glad of that.

On a scale of 1 - 10 my bother is probably a 2, so you called it right, Oz. I think 10 years ago I would have been completely incensed and angry by it but now it is an annoying niggle that I have not lost sleep over. I know as soon as she leaves it will all die down. To be honest with the two that I just kicked out of the lab, I am a little burnt by students. I would rather a lab technician that I can fire if they under perform. Students, you are stuck with them until it becomes unbearable and they do stupid things like my bipolar friend or demonstrate that they are incapable of being a PhD like the other. The latter I had longer and it was a harder decision to get rid of her. She did not do any scientific misconduct, she was unable to think like a PhD student at her level should have been able to think.

Thanks for the song. I like you singing to me. :)

Lady Carol
11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
There is much bad mouthing here at WC as well, and it is passed on until a person just leaves in discuss. But your problem will just "time out."
It is like any community - get enough people together and there will be gossip and juvenile behaviour.

Shirl Parker
11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Happy birthday to Kathrin.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2010/113427-32965-happybdayPopOutRabbitcake.gif

dances_with_oils
11-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Morning folks:

It's a balmy minus 12c right now and the snow is still blowing sideways - so the windchill is dropping it down to about minus 18c. Time to drag out the heavy parka and fur hats and gloves.

Got a few things to do today, since it's darker earlier these days, we've got the lights on that we hadn't used over the summer months. I have to change out all the compact fluorescent light bulbs and burned out bulbs that had been left behind by the previous owners. They are all in sealed/closed fixtures (think boob lights) and according to the electrical folks, that is a fire hazard. I'm all for saving the earth but not at the expense of my safety or home. So far, we've discovered mixed bulbs in the fixtures - incandescent/CF and four fixtures had broken bulbs to pull out - not something for the weak hearted or those afraid of electricity.

I'm also going to try and put up the remaining drapes as I've noticed a real difference in room temps with the rooms that have full drapes to those that have only a valance and blinds. "Toto, we're not in the banana belt of southern Ontario anymore."

Hope everyone has a great day and I hope Kathrin has a super birthday day.

idylbrush
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Panettone is in the oven after a rough start. Looking pretty good right now.

Cleaning the weeds out of the garden, one at a time. Pulled one that was about 5 feet tall. About filled the garden waste can.

PattiLou
11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Kathrin......
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2010/125378-BlueFlowerExtra14ccHB.jpg

OkeeKat
11-17-2010, 10:31 PM
THANKS SOOOO MUCH Shirl, Ruthie, Howard, Bell,Carol, Elaine

Ruthie, glad you were able to finaly talk to Robbie! YEAH!
Carol, well, I am very glad I did win and it was kinda a shock as to its now REAL, that I'm better then some well known artists!! its a great feeling!!!!!!!!
Doing a 5x7" Commission of the Greeting and Welcome painting that I did twice last year only now its very small.. coming along.
Ohh the lady that bought it also bought another small painting, "How About A Kiss!" she is our local HighSchool Art Teacher... she has also asked me to come to class and talk to the students!! OHH I'm realy excited, not quite sure what to say but how I started etc..Shall be interesting.
Also to start my under the sea mural this friday at a local Kennels on a Large inside wall! shall be interesting!

FINALY Got my computer fixed and up and running again!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kathrin!!!

PattiLou
11-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Uh, I'm pooped, finally getting to take a break. Our dinner company just left. This morning I mixed up some cookie dough that needs to be refrigerated before using, baked bread and a cake, made a casserole and cheese garlic biscuits, whipped up my bbq sauce for chicken, ran to the grocery, cleaned up the kitchen at least 4 times (I sure can stir up a mess:lol:) and got everything else ready for dinner. I like to be ready ahead of time so I can visit with the company.

Kathie... congratulations, you are doing so well with your paintings. I am not surprised at all about the win.

Keep the snow Bell, I'll take the little bit of rain we had last night. We needed it.

Oz... I missed the bad mouthing, or at least I don't remember it. I only visit a couple forums though and I think we get along pretty good here in acrylics. I left a photography forum (not at WC) because I didn't think they were treating someone else right. There was no sense in some of the things they were saying and I figured I didn't have to visit there.

Ozone
11-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi Patti,

There are a couple of kinds of bad mouthing, the first is behind your back, when you get a pm and someone is complaining about another person. Carol and I were talking about that. It somehow manages to make it back thru another person, maybe via Face-Book even, it has been twisted and distorted probably. I used to pm somewhat, but I am now out of that loop entirely.

The other type is more direct and I would have to plead guilty, although I didn't consider it so at the time. A new guide had ripped one of Kathie's paintings apart and I was talking with Kathie about her painting in this thread. Another person (not the guide) read our discussion and decided to leave WC.

I started in the airbrush section, and it should be called DOA. It is 100 times slower than acrylics and some down there actually hate each other and have for years. I can be outrageous at times and have started arguments at times, but the moderator and everyone knew what I was trying to do... get the people to Post. In this case, about a subject many artist have strong feelings about... nudity and censorship. It was an experiment that failed.

There maybe is an occasional spat between people those are not my concern and jostling is fine. I like to give Howard the business sometimes, just because he is Howard... if the premiss is funny. Like holding a Jimmy Hindrix guitar upside down is hilarious to me. But Howard just ignores me, I'm just a little puppy nipping on the cuff of his pants. Haha.

My music I do take more seriously. When I pick a song there is usually a reason. I knew you liked the Everly Bros, how could I go wrong, but so much of their stuff is not recorded well enough to play without enhancing, it took a long time to find what I did. Now that Carol has said she likes my singing to her, she can expect that on occasion.

I am even more outrageous in person and would surely embarrass any of you girls in real life. You would want to wear a shirt that says, "I don't know him," haha.

Yah-ha, I think we get along pretty good here in acrylics. And Susan48 still owes me a pot roast dinner with baby potatoes and carrots. I will come and then vanish for awhile. My motto is live pain free.

:music:
I can ...
Heal the sick, raise the dead
Make the little girls talk outta their heads

I'm the one, oh I'm the one :music: ha hahaha Johnny Rivers

noodle1
11-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

Hey Shirl my girl, are you extra dogs free yet? Nothing really interesting going on with me, did a lot of running in the past few days, today I get to stay home..hopefully. Lori coming over later to show me how to empty my mail box on the cell phone..hahaha nope haven't a clue..:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi Miss Carol, Kathie, Mary, Linda, Robert, Howard, Bell brrrr, Patti, Kathrin, Sue, Oz, and of course Raymo my man.

Chilly this morning but sunny, haven't see that orb in a few days..haha
My old friend Paul emailed from his phone yesterday with not such very good news. He was taking a big sailboat to Florida and I guess the weather wasn't all that good one day and they were south of the Cape when he was trying to clear a line in the turning block, he almost had it when the winds picked up and he ended up getting his pinky finger pulled into the block...it ripped it off from the knuckle up. :eek: Only two man crew so they did what they could and he was heading for Palm Beach to have a friend take him to the hospital, but wouldn't get there until five pm. I haven't heard since but that's a long time to wait for something like that. Just awful, bone there but not much else, such a shame I'm really hoping they can keep that portion of the finger for him. Things can sure happen quickly. His first accident in 40 years of sailing,I'm anxious to hear.

Patti I tend to agree with you, I'm fairly new compared to a lot of members and don't wander much as far as getting involved with other threads, easy to take something the wrong way with the written word, and some people just come with a bagful of issues in any group. But for the most part I do think for such a large group we're doing pretty good..haha I was a moderator on another site and oh man everyday there was one thing or another, those that left did so because of their own shortcomings, guess it depends on what you're looking for. Carol really said it best I think.
What is your recipe for those garlic cheese biscuits, I made some the other night and wasn't thrilled with the one I had at all, would you care to share please.

Well guess I should go get into something, not painting, need a break..haha.
Hope everyone's day is a good one, I'll see ya all later,

Hugs all round,
Elaine

PattiLou
11-18-2010, 10:49 AM
The photography group I left had a small 'clique' that were attacking a couple of other members instead of helping. They were getting down on a personal level that had nothing to do with photography, very insulting. I decided I could learn from other sources and enjoy it. I see no reason to be insulting even if I don't like the work of someone else, it is all personal likes and dislikes. The reason I don't visit many of the other parts of WC is because I am likely to never be involved with that medium... that could change though... one never knows what I might get into. I check in on some just out of curiosity but never post. Enough of that... on to more enjoyable things... like food.:D

Elaine... This is the recipe I use, really quite simple but they disappear quickly.:lol:

Cheese Garlic Biscuits
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Parsley

Heat oven to 450°.
Mix baking mix, milk and cheese until soft dough forms; beat vigorously 30 seconds. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Mix margarine/butter and garlic powder; brush over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet. serve warm.

I use Pioneer instead of Bisquick, because that is what I have and prefer. I like simple recipes that are quick and tasty.;)

PS: I have no idea why the type changed, I didn't change it and it won't change back.:confused:

Lady Carol
11-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Carol, well, I am very glad I did win and it was kinda a shock as to its now REAL, that I'm better then some well known artists!! its a great feeling!!!!!!!!
Yes, it may be a great feeling Kathie, but lets put it in reality. The next show may be entirely different, so don't beat yourself up if you do not win.

Shirl Parker
11-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Good morning Elaine, et al. No, still not dog free, they go home on Friday. Chilly here too, almost 9 am and it's only 62 and windy.

...Lori coming over later to show me how to empty my mail box on the cell phone..hahaha nope haven't a clue..:lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Getting rid of the messages is pretty easy, but you use minutes while you're doing it, so you might want to do it after 9 PM when you are in the free zone (or when you wake at 4 in the morning... haha). If you know how to listen to the messages, just press 7 as soon as you've heard enough and want to delete it. Your mailbox holds a maximum of 20 messages.

If you NEVER want to listen to messages, you can have them blocked with a message that says you will see the missed call and return it. Or not.:evil: [This is the end of this geek reply.]

dances_with_oils
11-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Morning folks:

Another snow filled blustery day on the prairies. The wind was so high last night it blew our glass top patio table across the patio...lol. Temps this morning are hovering down in the minus 18c with wind chill making it feel like minus 22c. I'm glad I dug out the fur hats and heavy gloves. One up side to the snow is it acts as an insulator around the house. I got up most of the drapes yesterday...just a few more rooms to do.

We've been playing tag with the Fed ex guy. Hubby is expecting text books from his course and I'm expecting two book orders and a new beading loom. The highways leading into Wainwright are pretty bad with the blowing snow so the agent is having problems getting down here. Today doesn't look any better for driving so we might see the packages by Fri...I hope.

Off to do more bead work... laters folks

idylbrush
11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Yes, it may be a great feeling Kathie, but lets put it in reality. The next show may be entirely different, so don't beat yourself up if you do not win.

A nice look at a truth sometimes forgotten. Seems each show has its own personality.

Have been trying to put things away in the house all morning. Sometimes it's a case of destroying something before putting it back together. I sure hope my pantry recovers. Trying to get everything in order has been a challenge. Fortunately, I am not one of those that has to have everything according to can size in alphabetical order. I'm lucky if I can get the Italian foods on one section of the Oriental foods in one section. I did manage to find a coffee grinder I've been missing for over a year. But things come of it all.

My next big project is going to be the studio. While I threw out a bunch of things last spring the studio is still quite crowded. Unfortunately, when I get supplies I tend to hold onto them even if I don't use them.

Have to get ready to go to the doctors here In a little bit, the first of my winter series. not fond of saying doctors these days but it's a necessary evil.

The first blush of color for the season.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Nov-2010/36241-poinsettia.jpg

Raymo
11-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Good Lord, who the heck even wants a cell phone ? I must be one of the last hold outs. I just cant see being connected 24/7, I hate answering the phone as it is.

Signed....Ol Crabby

noodle1
11-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Howard, what a lovely site flowers blooming in a garden. I know how you feel about doctor's visits, I start my routine the day after Thanksgiving..unless I cancel.

Thank you Shirl I knew if I wrote it you would have an answer..haha I just love my geek friend. Unfortunately I think I have to know my password I'll call it..lol and oops...roflol

Hi Bell oh it sounds pretty nasty, if the Fed Ex guy can't deliver. I'm always amazed at the UPS drivers round here, there can be a sheet of ice on the road and the dang truck ends up at your front door, must be the crazy New Yorkers driving..haha Have fun with your beading, show n tell later okay...:wink2:

Oh grumble, grunt Crabby Raymo my man, you can turn it off..haha Lori gave mine to me, even still pays for it, me I leave it home most of the time or when I am home should someone call by the time I find it they hang up...and as it is um message box filled...roflol so I have one but only for emergencies...:lol: :lol: what and oxymoron..haha Okay I have it to keep my kids quiet. You old phone grump !! :D

Patti thanks, not terribly different then the one I had, but I must have done something wrong, not only did they not taste all that great, they sat for a minute or two and I could have used them for target practice in a sling shot..haha I will try yours and let you know. Had to be me.

Well I accomplished exactly what I expected to today, nothing....haha I've been internet searching, should never had started, oh well I enjoyed it so guess that's all that counts. Heard from my friend Paul, they removed the top portion of his finger last night, he doesn't sound all that upset, said he figured. Guess when you're out in the middle of the ocean and that happens you pretty much know by the time you get to land it's a done deal. Still it's a shame, but he's racing this weekend, sailboats..LOL Just as nuts as when we were kids, guess that's why we made a great couple..haha then.

Time to go plan food..haha Larry will be arriving shortly. Have a good rest of your day, I doubt I'll be back soo Nite Nite Raymo my man.

See you tomorrow,
Hugs all round,
Elaine

PattiLou
11-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Elaine... the trick to good biscuits is to not overstir/knead them, regardless of what the recipe says. Only stir enough to get everything moist and mixed together. Kneading toughens them. These are real light and I think they are better with the Pioneer, it seems to be lighter flour than the Bisquick.

I think I joined Elaine in "doing nothing" today. Just could not get motivated for some reason.

Cell phones are not good in an emergency if you leave them home or turn them off.:evil: When I was working in Georgia we had an officer from the State Highway Patrol give a talk on safety. He said every woman driving alone should have a cell phone and a gun. He was very serious! This was back before cellphones fit in your pocket.:lol: There were other things he spoke about on personal safety and it was very interesting. My mother even has a cell phone and believe it or not she carries it when she leaves the house.

Yes, even crabby Ray may need assistance sometime where a cell phone would come in handy. You don't have to give your number out Ray. We on the other hand don't have a landline. It got to the point where the only people who called on the landline were salesmen and I refused to answer it. I knew if my family wanted me they would call on my cellphone.

OK... I'm done preaching, going to go watch TV and do some more of "do nothing"

Shirl Parker
11-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm all cell phone, all the time. I even carry it to the bathroom with me. Well...it's in a case clipped to my trousers, and I have a bluetooth headset in my ear... I discontinued my landline phone altogether. Of course, no one ever calls...

OkeeKat
11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
hi all,
long busy day at work, even too tired to paint tonight.
might just go to bed early. hope to start the mural tomorrow.
Carol, thanks, Understand and Will be objective and take each show as it comes, yes they all are different.
Nite all!!

Ozone
11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Patti you could just carry the gun, and use the cell phone of the first person you meet :evil:

Giving Elaine cooking instructions- not a good idea Patti, she will be mad. Just :music: Stir it Up :music: Your bad.

I would call you Shirl, what is your number? Rent the other side of your house too. Except for week-ends...
then I go riding with Carol :heart:

Hi Kathie :wave:, you want in on this?

noodle1
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Morning all,

Hey Shirl my girl. I was just being a smart ars..lol and Patti spanked me..haha
I take my phone with me but just absent mindedness, when I turn it off for church I forget to turn it back on..haha Jess turned off the ringer for me and for the life of me I could not figure out how to turn it back on.
I'm just sad is all :lol: :lol: It's kind of like Larry and the Tom Tom..haha now that I can figure out, he can't..haha and he doesn't trust her...lol lol I have to keep reminding him however the time we went to Carol's he did it his way, instead of listening to TomTom and we got lost...roflol.

Hey Patti, thanks, the whole thing started with eating those biscuits at Red Lobster when we took Nicky for his birthday..hahaha And hey you know I don't mind a little help in the kitchen right..haha somethings some are better at then others, and I did probably mix it too much. I don't think I've ever heard a cop tell a woman she should carry a gun, ya got em either PMing or Menopausing..could you imagine..:lol: :lol: and talking on their cell phone, that alone should do it with a mugger. Just kidding with ya.

Hi Miss Carol how's things going, Howard get a better nights sleep I hope,
Hi Raymo my man what's the whipper snapper been up to of late, Merywn I mean..lol, Sue, Kathie, Mary, Bell, Ruthie, EP, Linda, Oz, Robert, Kathrin, :wave: :wave:

Going to play today, after I vaccum..lol I'm in the mood to paint Christmas Balls and if I get enough done gonna mail some out instead of cards. Takes ruining one or two til I get back into the swing of them tho..haha so I'm going to get started. Have a great day everyone, I will see you later.

Hugs all round,
Elaine

PattiLou
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Patti you could just carry the gun, and use the cell phone of the first person you meet :evil:

Giving Elaine cooking instructions- not a good idea Patti, she will be mad. Just :music: Stir it Up :music: Your bad.

I carry both... just in case the other person doesn't have a cell phone.:angel:

I already know Elaine is a good cook, she is always bringing something yummy to the cafe.:D

Elaine... do you use craft paint or tube paint on your ornaments? Are they clear balls or frosted? (no comments from Ray, lol) I think you should do a demo so I can learn something. By the way, I am always forgetting to turn the sound back on, on the cell phone, and then I get a message saying I have a voicemail, lol.

I need to bake my cookies before heading to the studio so I better get busy. Have been waiting for the dough to soften a little. The recipe said to refrigerate it, so I did. Took it out of the refrigerator to roll out the dough and it is so stiff it won't budge. Now I know why I didn't refrigerate it last time I made them.:o

Lady Carol
11-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Good Lord, who the heck even wants a cell phone ? I must be one of the last hold outs. I just cant see being connected 24/7, I hate answering the phone as it is.

Signed....Ol Crabby
I will be "Ol Crabby" with you. I have to agree that being connected 24/7 is pointless. As far as I am concerned leave a message at home after hours or at work. I am usually at either place. If I am not there, then I am at the horse and I do not want to be answering the phone then. I do have a cell phone but it is off 99% of the time or by a prearrangement it will be on.

I am playing hooky today and I am going to Lancaster to shop :)

idylbrush
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Back from my second doctors appointment. Not supposed to lift anything heavy for the next 10 days. Have a CAT scan on Monday blood tests sometime next week. Busy time

Have been enjoying the Apple TV. Catching up on movies I had always had a wish list but never found time to rent. Now I can do conveniently from home. Good stuff!

Beautiful day here. Got a few things for the garden. Not much just the start. A couple of grasses and a couple of sedums. According to the folks down at the garden center this summer was one of the driest in history and they are not at all surprised that I may have lost my fig tree although even they thought of a could last through the dry weather we had. Apparently mine was not quite strong enough yet. They did say to give it a chance and leave it in the ground, Charlie bit of fertilizer and some water and see if I could get some new growth coming on. We shall see.

I am taking the rest of the day off. I might even get a nap in. One never knows these days.

dances_with_oils
11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Morning folks:

Well, we have finally seen the back of the snow clouds... have fun with Ruth they are on their way to to you guys. Powder snow my arse...the stuff was heavy to shovel. Folks have been telling me that they get powder snow like we do in the Yukon... uh huh... bet they couldn't tell because of the their snow machines lifting it for them...

We have hoar frost and snow today so its rather pretty if you don't look at the unplowed roads, sidewalks and highways and the current temp is minus 20c with a windchill of -28c. This is the weather where your nostrils stick together when you try to breathe.

There was so much white yesterday that I was having trouble seeing Branwen's outline against the snow. I dreaded to think that a car or truck might not see her and run her over (no sidewalks). So I put on her pink coat with reflective tape and everyone who passed us, slowed down to gawk at the dog with the pink coat on... lol.

On car safety, here's what my mom the cop, instilled in us:

In cold weather, keep your coat (if you take it off to drive) beside you. Keeping it in the backseat might end up killing you (freezing to death) if you go off the road and flip the car or get trapped in the front seat and can't reach it.

Keep a smaller safety kit up front with you for the same reasons, that big honking safety kit you carry in the trunk won't help you if you can't access your trunk in an emergency.

Always carry a couple of candles (smokeless kind) and matches in the front - a single candle can generate enough heat to keep you warm for hours. Keep a couple of emergency blankets up front as well. Don't eat snow for fluids as it may contribute to lowering your body temp even more than being in the cold has already done. Keep a small metal container with the candles and melt/heat the snow before drinking it.

Before you leave for a trip (short or long distance) make sure the clothing you have on will allow you to walk at least 20 km (even if you don't actually do the walk - it's a guide for being dressed warm enough to survive a few hours in a stranded car). If you don't (going to a party, church etc) then take warm clothes with you (and keep them up front)

Always carry extra socks and a pair of boots with you. There's a good chance that if you go off the road or break down you are going to try and see what's wrong outside the vehicle. Chances are the snow (or wet) will be over your boots and will get inside - if not that then sweating will do the same. Driving or sitting with damp or wet feet will guarantee hypothermia or frostbite. If your boots or socks get wet, change them - most car heaters aren't as robust at minus 25c as you'd think.

Always carry water with you - no matter what the season and don't keep it in the trunk. If you can't reach it or access it won't do you any good.

Learn how to change your tires, CAA and AAA may not be able to get to you fast enough or you might be out of cell range.

If you can keep the engine running, get out of the car and check to make sure your exhaust is not buried under snow and debris - if it is and you can't clear it, turn the engine off.

If you drive in isolated areas put a hand winch in your car and learn how to use it. Also learn how to make a dead man's anchor (http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Deadman-Anchor.htm)if you drive where there are no trees. Getting your car out of a ditch may depend on you knowing this.

Buy yourself a solar powered battery maintainer and if you are ever stuck somewhere and can't get the engine to start plug this in, it will keep your battery from going dead (good for folks who leave their cars in the driveway and seldom drive or the snowbirds that leave their vehicles for months at a time.)

If you have a cell with GPS capabilities, turn that feature on. It may help rescue crews find you if you are unable to use the phone (sick, unconscious etc)

Make sure you tell someone where you are heading and the time to expect your arrival, return. Decide on the leeway time and if you go over it and have not contacted them or they can't raise you on the phone, have them call the police. (if you are stuck or broken down knowing that there is a time limit to when the police will be called really does help keep you calm and tends to make folks stay with their car instead of wandering off looking for help).

My husband used to laugh at me and my over zealous way I prepared to drive in the winter, until the day came when we slid off the road from ice build up and had to wait 10 hours for CAA - outside temp was minus 34c with a windchill pushing it to minus 40c. Now he puts the gear in himself.

idylbrush
11-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Dances, we have the same issues here, emergency beach towels, swim suits, water, suntan lotion, etc. lOL

Today's doc visit was most positive. Likes my progress. Asked that I try to not lift much for the next week or so. Thinks I have a small muscle issue.

So, I was out pulling weeds this afternoon, what a dummy. I guess habits are hard to recognize at times.

biddlebeach
11-20-2010, 03:38 AM
Hi guys,, Howard, I'm with you on the falling asleep then waking up and not being able to go back to sleep.. this is getting darned old!
Been having an issue with our bed, it has decided it hates me, over 20 year old water bed, Mark loves it, gonna be a real hard sell to get something new. been sorta looking into the sleep number bed, whew,, pricey,, but been hearing good things about it. Guess it doesn't matter as can't afford it anytime soon anyway. lol
Had our turkey dinner on Wednesday as Marks sis is in, she is the one who lost her husband a bit go. she wanted Turkey, so we obliged, since it is just Mark and I , we will do something other than turkey for Thanksgiving. have a rain check for Lobster that was on sale a few weeks back and they were out of. that is a thought..
Finally got my windows at the shop decorated,, geesh, I got more crap from everyone because they were blank. People thought I had closed up shop. oh, believe me,, they will KNOW when that happens.
Decided to NOT put the village up this year in the windows, just way too much work and I was not in the mood for it all.. so time consuming and hard on my back reaching in from the back to put it all together.
Got to bomb the house again sometime this weekend. damn fleas.. this will probably be the last chance I get as it is suppose to be sunny with highs of 48.. have to figure out what to do with the girls for 2 hours, then for a half hour to air out the house.. the half hour, wont be a biggy as we can go to the campground down the road for a nice walk, but the 2 hours,, eh,, that might be a tough one.

Cell phones, I got rid of my shop phone as soon as you could transport your land line number to your cell phone, so my cell is my work phone. I turn it off or leave it in the car for church. we have no cell service here at home, so I am not attached to it as others may be. BUT, if we ever are able to get the cell service here,, you can bet your sweet bippy we will get rid of the land line.
I'm tired and am rambling,, sorry, talk to ya all later!

idylbrush
11-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Since I am not painting....I am cooking - a lot!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2010/36241-panettone_breadpudding.jpg
Panettone bread pudding. Baked it up this morning from the panettone I made the other day. Reduced fat and cholesterol as well.

Another night of lower than desired sleep.

Still trying to get a few things in order and not doing a very good job of it I fear. Just to much stuff and not enough room. Something is going to give and I think it may be the release of "stuff" into the world. (do I really need 60 golf shirts?)

Shirl Parker
11-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Howard, I don't think your doctor meant you can't lift a brush :evil:

idylbrush
11-20-2010, 05:03 PM
picking up a brush isn't the issue. It's all the other stuff I picked up during the day that I shouldn't.

Today is the beginning of the holiday season for me. I spent the afternoon making mission cakes. Something I make for the holidays and have since I was 18 years old. I can remember my grandmother making them and bringing them to the house at Christmas time. It is one of those recipes that I really don't like to mess with too much it's perfect the way it is.

I over did it this morning and I really am feeling it in my shoulder. I guess this old dog will never learn. I just have so much to do and so little time to get it all done. You

For the first time in 10 days I can actually see the top of my kitchen table. It becomes the repository of everything I bring in from the trailer until I find a place to put it.

It seems that I have spent most of today putting things away, baking, washing dishes and cleaning countertops. Not a bad way to spend the day.

Spent a little bit of time in the studio working on a new piece that is coming along very slowly. I may try to photograph it in a little bit and posted in what's on your easel.

Hope everybody is having a great day.

OkeeKat
11-20-2010, 05:05 PM
Looks Yummy Howard!!
Had a nice show today at one of the local Churches in town here.. bought a table, they had an arts/crafts fair. Sold a few notecards and got one commissions, hopefully more, but will see. Now to get this one done before the Christmas holidays, shouldnt be a problem!
Hope all are well, very tired, going to crash on sofa, maybe paint later.
luv and hugs to all!!

Raymo
11-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I am the last to post, all bow down.

Shirl Parker
11-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Oh Yeah!

Raymo
11-21-2010, 01:43 PM
Haha !

Shirl Parker
11-21-2010, 01:50 PM