PDA

View Full Version : Hooking my HH up to bulk tank

jacinda
12-18-2002, 01:06 AM
OK
I will admit I am scared... Horrified!

I saw posts before debating on the use of a regulater to hook a HH up to bulk.

I want to hook mine to a bulk propane tank like the standard ones used for grills.

I purchased a hose today at Lowes. It fits great and was already assembled. I havent hooked the other end to a propane tank yet.
But the one end fits to my HH and the other is standard tank fitting for grill propane tanks.

Of course the tank is staying outside and I am running the hose through the window area that my vent system is ran through.

So my question is do I have to have a regulator?
The men at Lowes were acting like I was crazy for not purchasing one.
I really dont want to buy one if I dont Have to have one.

Am I going to blow up????

:D

.... my mom says I will pee to bed if I keep on playing with fire!

rlisfolks
12-18-2002, 02:41 AM
I just did this all a few weeks ago...everything I've read says the HH doesn't require a regulator.

I noticed a difference in the 'feel' of things, too, when I switched to the bulk tank...I'm not 100% sure it wasn't due to a greater volume of gas not getting too cold too fast, but I'm sure that the height difference was part of it. My first two beads weren't even bead shaped, LOL, just globs of glass on a mandrel.

Be prepared, if you're used to working off the 1lb tank on your work surface, and then you mount it for your bulk tank, that you have probably dropped your torch several inches. After I found the right place to work in the flame (sitting instead of standing, too), then my husband had to help me work out where to sit so I didn't cause myself back pain and repetitive motion injuries (lucky me, I'm prone to them.).

Dawn

swamperfolk
12-18-2002, 06:37 AM
Jacinda, you'll pee the bed if you pick dandilions!

Dawn, I can see where you would have a difference in height with a bulk tank connection. Are you using propane or MAPP?

Vick
12-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Jacinda,

You don't need a regulator. Before I upgraded I used a HH on a 30 lb Mapp gas tank without one and it did great. No problems. The guys at BOC air kept telling me that it wouldn't work without one and they weren't going to sell me a tank. I took some info that I had pulled out of the ISGB archives and finally convinced them. Several tanks later, they were amazed it worked. Then they wanted to know where they could buy a HH. Thought it was an awesome torch.

Also, if you need the hoses to connect the tank to the torch, check out your local propane supplier. I took in my HH and they fixed me up a set for under $20.

Take care and happy torching.

Vicki

quill
12-18-2002, 10:10 AM
The Hothead is designed to work off tank pressure. I know some people advise getting a regulator if you are using a BIG tank but frankly, I ran mine off a 65lb tank of MAPP for 7 months with no regulator & no problems.

craftylady
12-18-2002, 01:00 PM
I use my HH with a BBQ hose and no regulator. Works like a charm. Remember to bleed your hose.

*Naos*
12-18-2002, 01:11 PM
No regulator here either - works just fine! :)

BillBrach
12-18-2002, 01:18 PM
Jacinda and All,

The pressure of the 1 pound propane cannisters and the BBQ bottles is EXACTLY the same. This is true for MAPP as well. Incidently, MAPP pressure is actually lower than propane.

The tank pressure of both of these fuels is a function of its 'vapor pressure'. This is something that is determined by the chemistry of the gas, and NOT the tank size.

Bill

PS - please don't pee the bed !!

Dale_M
12-18-2002, 01:20 PM
Before this thread goes to far. There is thousands of words already written on the HOT HEAD torch on a BULK fuel tank.

And the pros and cons of using a regulator.

A search of the forum here or on ISGB site will produce all the know wisdom already in text form on using a hot head with a bulk tank.

I will say this in interest of clarity. The hardware store type regulator for BBQ grills and such will not work with hot head torch. A regulator from a welding supply or glass supply house that can be adjusted upwards to a out put pressure of 50 to 70psi is needed. But the cost of the regulator is probably double or triple the cost of the torch. If you are going to spend that kind of money, just step up to better torch.

I Agree with Bill about the tank pressure from #1 canister and a bulk tank being the same. The extra nuance of the flame from a bulk tank is a enhancement to the work.

Dale

rlisfolks
12-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Linda-

All the posts about using just propane weren't here when I was doing my set up <g>, so I went with a generic version of MAPP. Or maybe it's the real thing, not sure, honestly. Literally days after I got the bulk tank, LOL, more folks posted more info about using bulk propane. I was hesitant to sink the expense into the one tank, and risk not being able to use it.

Dawn

Amozoo
12-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Jacinda, When I went to hook up my hot head to a bulk tank the flame would change sizes on me constantly and it turned out my torch must have been defective, I switched to a major bench burner instead of getting a new hot head. I still wonder if a regulator would have helped, but I love my minor (on the major) I don't use the major part much.

DonnaB
12-18-2002, 10:10 PM
I never used a regulator when I was on a hothead with propane.

I went from the mapp canisters, to 20 lb propane tank, to 20 lb chemtane tank.

Never needed a regulator with any of them.

Have fun! It is just great not having to change the canisters any more! Or having them freeze up.

Those canisters drove me crazy, I really have alot of respect and admiration for those of us who are making their work with them.

I think I used about two or three canisters total, and then immediately went to the hardware store for a hose, and came home and stole our propane tank from the bbq grill! The propane was not as hot, but it was worth it to me, to not have to change the canisters.

Now I am on a minor, because I just could never get colors to turn out on my HH like many people can.

jacinda
12-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Thanks all for the info

I had to purchase a new propane tank cause the hubby didn't want me to use the bbq. He wanted to be sure there was gas in it at all times for his grilling!:)

I have been watching Laura's video and am at awe over the long, nice blue flame that seems to effortless shape her glass. She used a minor for that video... but there is a good thing about only being able to afford what I have right now and I am very happy with it. I think that if I can accomplish great colors and become accustomed to many techniques with my HH it will only make the transition to a minor or other upgraded torch a better experience.

I have to get off here we have a tornado watch!!!

Thanks again

....... I have yet to wet the bed, I'm sure my husband is relieved!

Melinda Melanson
12-18-2002, 11:45 PM
Fluctuating flame is very common on newly filled Mapp type fuel tanks. Seems if the tank is too full, the gas can't vaporize properly and liquid gas will come out with the vapor causing flare-ups. The flare-ups usually stop after a couple hours of use. If this is a problem wherever you purchase your fuel, ask your supplier to not fill the tank so full.

Shouldn't be a problem with the propane tanks, since the new overfill protection devices.

jacinda
12-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Melinda Melanson
Fluctuating flame is very common on newly filled Mapp type fuel tanks. Seems if the tank is too full, the gas can't vaporize properly and liquid gas will come out with the vapor causing flare-ups. The flare-ups usually stop after a couple hours of use. If this is a problem wherever you purchase your fuel, ask your supplier to not fill the tank so full.

Shouldn't be a problem with the propane tanks, since the new overfill protection devices.

I just bought a new tank and it said on the box that all tanks are required to have a "floater" or device inside the tank that prevents the gas co to top off the tank. When I read that I thought that was perfect! I guess grills and other gas using appliances have the same problem with tanks that are too full.

ps.... screw the tornado I am staying online!

Dale_M
12-19-2002, 12:26 AM
The new overfill preventer safety valve only applies to propane tanks.

MAPP and Chemtane and other "brazing fuels" do not come under this rule.

Dale