PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Store Acrylic Pieces So They Don't Stick?

Peggy SCx
11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Hi Acrylic Painters!

I don't usually post to this forum because I rarely do acrylics. The reason is I don't know how to store them so they won't stick. I have done works on board, canvas, and paper. I've noticed the tackiness and have had a problem with sticking. Another factor is that my space is limited. How have you solved the problem?

Thank you!

Einion
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Hi Peggy, there are a few things you can try here, depending on a few things including what you're painting on. Presumably framing everything isn't an option? :)

If your pieces are on canvas or panel then the best thing might be to varnish with one of the spirit-soluble varnishes which are available in most brands now. Acrylics should ideally be varnished anyway and that type of varnish is much less tacky at average temperature and humidity (this is one of the specific problems they're made to help with).

Paintings on paper or illustration board aren't normally varnished but they have the advantage of taking up very little room if stored flat. To prevent them sticking together you can interleave them with sheet plastics of a couple of kinds (some glassine papers work okay too). Golden have tips on this on their website in a couple of places but I think this (http://www.goldenpaints.com/justpaint/jp11article1.php) issue of Just Paint might be the best place to start because it has lots of additional useful info as well.

Einion

arl
11-12-2010, 05:24 AM
I use glassine archival paper when paintings are dry.

timelady
11-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Never ever face to face! Even after I varnish sometime the temperature changes can affect the surfaces if it's very warm.

I just put a sheet of foam wrap between them (which has a flat surface unlike bubblewrap). Or I have large sheets of cartridge paper that work too. To be honest when storing them I usually have boxes for 2-3 canvases because all my canvas is mail ordered, so I simply face them outwards in the boxes. For flat work (I store everything vertical so there's less pressure on each one) I'd go with cellophane or glassine between them if you're storing in a drawer or on a shelf.

It's galleries that are my problem. ;) They just think acrylic is "safe" and it's really hard to convince them to please please not face acrylic paintings together when storing or transporting.

Tina.

Einion
11-12-2010, 10:14 AM
It's galleries that are my problem. ;) They just think acrylic is "safe" and it's really hard to convince them to please please not face acrylic paintings together when storing or transporting.
Those darned galleries! :D

Einion

objectivistartist
11-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I sometimes have use push pins on the outer edge to space them, even tho they're vertical...

SoftRoses
11-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Parchment paper is great, that stuff you buy for baking, in with the aluminum foil, wax paper etc. On larger pieces it won't be big enough so you'd have to piece together some sheets.

Peggy SCx
11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Einion, Arlene, Tina, Robert and Soft Roses, You all are wonderful, thank you! Thank you for your feedback. I frame my pieces on board or canvas...and paint them with acrylic! I have had trouble with them sticking even when I varnish. I'm thinking flat is less sticky than gloss. Hadn't thought of push pins as a low tech solution. I've had bubble wrap stick to the frames. Fortunately, it just added neat texture. I have glassine, but it's good to know parchment works too.
Funny about galleries; you'd think they would make it there business to know how to handle paintings!
Again, thank you very much!