View Full Version : Antiquing, glazes, over acrylic???

11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I have noticed more and more that there is often something over paintings. I am not sure if antiquing is the right word, especially since i have seen in on modern/abstract type paintings too. I tried googling it without any luck so I must not be using the right terms. So what kind of finish is this? Do you know what I mean?:confused:
Thanks :)

11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
On older paintings some of it is simply going to be aged varnish, which yellow over time (from a yellow tinge to sienna-type colours in the extreme) as well as becoming dirty This is what would be called "gallery tone" and similar terms. If it is because of dirt and discoloured varnish it's always a fault and normally this goes away almost completely when a painting is fully cleaned, revealing something much more like the original colours the painter intended.

Some paintings of more modern vintage will just simulate this effect with glazes, although you can in theory just mix for this kind of colouration while you're painting (particularly if you were copying something this isn't too difficult).


11-10-2010, 05:36 PM
A glaze of acrylic asphaltum and glazing medium has certain merits. You might also play with other glazes to get the "effect" you search for.

11-10-2010, 09:48 PM
20+ years ago when I used to do tole painting on wood, after varnish or whatever, then I would mix linseed oil and paint, rub it on and wipe it off. But since canvas is much more porous(sp?) than wood, I can't imagine that same technique being used

11-10-2010, 11:41 PM
You might want to rethink that.

11-11-2010, 04:16 AM
You could actually do that on canvas too, but for fine-art painting I think it would be preferable to use a similar technique, with acrylic medium and paint. If you don't have any particular longevity concerns though oil is totally an option.


11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Also, there are actually lots of acrylic mediums that create strange effects. There is a crackle medium that replicates the look of old crackled glaze! :) Or as the others said it could be the method they used to paint, it could be an actual thick varnish on top, or it could be a medium they've used and tinted too.