PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Out Together

purplepansey
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Here's my painting using a reference photo by Patrick Hedges in the RIL. I loved his photo and believe me it was way out of my comfort zone to paint it but I just had to try it. It makes me appreciate all I have in life and I will never do laundry again that I won't think of these two lovely women sitting by the water's edge toiling away doing laundry by hand, in murky looking water but enjoying each other's company.
Patrick I do so appreciate your posting that wonderful photo in the RIL:clap:
Would love feedback on it, pro or con

ddel
11-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Wonderful colors and composition! I want to go there for the winter. Doug

purplepansey
11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Hell ddel thanks for stopping by and adding your comments, love it. shrl

gaykir
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Wonderful! This is so full of wonderful things to look at!

purplepansey
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you Gayle love what you say about my painting it was kind of an ambitious project for me as there were so many things in the photo but I did more or less my own interpretation of it.

SoftRoses
11-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Wonderful! I feel like I'm there eavesdropping on their conversation! Just a charming scene!

Jack Cosway
11-10-2010, 11:59 PM
Here's my painting using a reference photo by Patrick Hedges in the RIL. I loved his photo and believe me it was way out of my comfort zone to paint it but I just had to try it. It makes me appreciate all I have in life and I will never do laundry again that I won't think of these two lovely women sitting by the water's edge toiling away doing laundry by hand, in murky looking water but enjoying each other's company.

Purplepansey,

Well done!

You should do more paintings that are out of your comfort zone. :)

I like way you painted the reflections along the water's edge and the overall coloring.

Jack.

arl
11-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Terrific colors and composition.

ladypainter
11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Amazing piece.! I wish I knew what they were talking about:) Very well done.

PatrickHedges
11-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Oh yes!!! I was lucky with that photo the way the light was and you've made a gorgeous painting out of it - wonderful work!!

Quick story - this is on the river between Namibia and Angola. On the Namibian side there was no one. On the Angolan side everyone was there washing their clothes, washing themselves and generally having a good time. I asked why. Namibia has all the services, money, good living conditions etc etc. Angola has nothing, no decent sanitation, no running water, no electricity (where this is), landmines all over the place, rack and ruin because of war. So since the people have nothing, they all wash in the river and make a party of it and have a ball. It was amazing to see.

purplepansey
11-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I want to thank all of you so much for adding your input to my painting it means a lot to me.
Soft Roses, I felt the same as your comment about eavesdropping on them
Jack, Yes, I'll try more out of my comfort zone, a good challenge for me
Arl, happy you like the colors and composition
Elinor I wish I knew too what they're talking about.

purplepansey
11-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Oh yes!!! I was lucky with that photo the way the light was and you've made a gorgeous painting out of it - wonderful work!!

Quick story - this is on the river between Namibia and Angola. On the Namibian side there was no one. On the Angolan side everyone was there washing their clothes, washing themselves and generally having a good time. I asked why. Namibia has all the services, money, good living conditions etc etc. Angola has nothing, no decent sanitation, no running water, no electricity (where this is), landmines all over the place, rack and ruin because of war. So since the people have nothing, they all wash in the river and make a party of it and have a ball. It was amazing to see.

Hi Patrick I found your quick story of the photo you made very interesting especially the part where they are having a ball washing their clothes together. I wish I could have been there to see it too. Thanks very much for posting your photo in RIL. :clap: :thumbsup:

RPut
11-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Love it and the story it tells. Beautiful colors and shadows.

purplepansey
11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks RPut, I love the story too, one picture worth a thousand words.

chammi kaiser
11-15-2010, 06:51 AM
I love this painting. It shows the quiet acceptance and yet making the most of a difficult task by chatting to a friend. The colours are delightful. I agree - move out of your comfort zone more often.

purplepansey
11-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Chammi thanks so much I like very much what you say about my painting, it pleases me no end. shrl

clementine
11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I very like how the touch of colors animate the painting!beautiful scene and work!!
'clem'

bushma'am
11-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi Purple Lady
Surprised to find you in acryics - always though you were an oil lady
Do luv the way you pick the 'every-day' scenes.

In the Traditional Way

Its Rub-a-dub-dub
in a tin wash tub.
Home-made suds,
a rock for a scrub.

Knuckles raw, sore;
thankful no more.
Rope strung in trees,
Nature sends breeze.

Wait sharing some tea
Suds float off to sea.
Wind does drying deed,
Home, families to feed.
...ff...

OkeeKat
11-17-2010, 11:04 PM
WONDERFUL WORK Shrl, Excellently rendered!!!!!
Love it!!
Great story too Patrick, You did a great job Shrl in telling the story with your paintbrush!!

purplepansey
11-18-2010, 06:16 AM
You wonderful people make me feel so good about this painting. :clap:
Thank You Clemhappy you like the color and the scene
Bushma'am What a wonderful poem about my painting, I love it thanks so very much
Kathie, so happy you like my painting and your kind words and Patrick surely did post a wonderful photo I based my painting on.
And again thanks to all the people who took time to stop by and add their wonderful comments. luv, shrl:thumbsup: :music:

MrsG_SoCal
11-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Interesting painting! And "interesting" is my favorite kind of artwork. Makes you want to keep looking!

kreativekate
11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Beautiful!

purplepansey
11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Thank you MrsG and happy you find my painting interesting
Kate thanks to to too. Will find time to look and check out both your web sites. :clap: :wave:

bluelilac
11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Your lovely painting could be titled Friendship. Those two women seem to be so close. I bet they grew up together in their village and they share their lives much more closely with no technology. No washing machines or computers or cel phones to break them apart from spending quality time together as they do their endless chores for their families. But they seem happy.

purplepansey
11-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Hello Blue Lilac thanks for your input on my painting, I also like your title too it goes well with the paintingl

Max Whitten
11-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Shrl,
Great title for the piece; I had a similar theme called ‘Monday’; it really enables you to work in vibrant colors; the long format works well for the comp; the dark values keep the center of interest alive. Well done.

Max

CSimchik
11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Sometimes it is very empowering to go out of our compfort zone! Cheers!!:clap:

purplepansey
11-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Max, would love to see your painting called Monday, happy you like mine and many thanks for your comments
Candy thanks for stopping by and adding your comments too appreciate it and all who took time to look at my painting. Made me feel good.