PDA

View Full Version : Suitable brush for glazing

arl
11-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I use round white Taklon brushes for glazing. When I paint large areas, I find the large Taklon brush doesn't work as well. I've been using bristle filberts for glazing large areas and these work better. I have been thinking of buying a mop brush for glazing my larger areas. What type of brush and bristles would you recommend for glazing large areas. Thanks.

bertschikon
11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I do a lot of glazing and I prefer Pro Arte soft flat Acrylix brushes of a size suitable to the area being glazed. In my experience the softer brush leaves fewer bristle marks to deal with.

arl
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks Doug. I forgot to mention I use gloss medium with an eye drop of water.

idylbrush
11-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Consider an old piece of Tshirt material

If you want a mop brush, don't use it to apply the glaze but to even it out. Use another brush (like a Haike brush) to apply and then the mop brush. My personal favorite is a 4" badger hair brush. Lovely but somewhat expensive.

Cosmetic sponges may also be of some value.

Einion
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure how large you mean but I think brushes like this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000LFVG66/s) or this (http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3592808) are worth experimenting with, they hold a lot of paint/glaze and they generally cost only a fraction of what an artists' brush of similar size would cost.

Einion

old_hobbyist
11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Does anyone else ever use a very fine nap commercial paint roller?

Einion
11-11-2010, 04:21 AM
Does anyone else ever use a very fine nap commercial paint roller?
I use foam rollers for applying some or all of the 'gesso' to board, but I haven't played with them for paint. Certainly worth trying given how much faster rolling can be than brushing out, but I'd probably combine their use with brushes so as to reduce the texture rollers tend to make.

Einion

arl
11-11-2010, 05:31 AM
Thank you all for your advice.