PDA

View Full Version : Visiting history

ddel
11-07-2010, 05:41 PM
A few years ago while visiting southern France we visited one of the old hilltop villages. I was drawn to the lovely old wooden doors and stone work. This painting is acrylic on canvass 10x14. I took a number of photos of these doors. Can any one give an idea for a painting of just doors?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2010/118398-IMG_0554cr.jpg

tonyjazz
11-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Try the image reference here, search for doors. I like the overall feeling on light and shadows on this artwork. I can see where the door gave you some trouble on the lower half. It reads like steps and door competing, thus this becomes the POI. Just a suggestion, you might consider finishing the door down to the bottom to remove that tension there. Try it on some program first.......I think it would impact this artwork..imho...........TJ

OkeeKat
11-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Lovely painting, only thing i can suggest is just to study the photos for the darks and lights.. lighter lights and darker darks help give it more depth.
No sprecial ways to paint doors, other then note the dark edges/crevices to make the lights pop out more! I hope that makes sense.

chammi kaiser
11-08-2010, 04:12 AM
This is sunny and happy and I enjoyed it. Doors are not always easy. I like your door but there is rather a big drop of stone work so I would make those stones look for like steps, darkening the spaces between each layer of stone and giving them a distinct shadow side.

ddel
11-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks all. You have given me good directions. The door was bashed up near the bottom. I will work on that. Secondly the picture is quite washed out compared to the painting. I will have to work on taking a picture of a painting.
Doug