PDA

View Full Version : Need Organization Box

MCook04
11-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi Everyone:

Not to be redundant because I am sure this has been answerd in the past, but I would like to know where I can find a pastel organization box like the one Richard McKinley uses. All I see are the drawer boxes (are these any good?). Ideally, I would like something to carry with me that supports the pastels enough that they wont shatter and will hold at least a couple hundred. Thanks for the input.

Mike

westcoast_Mike
11-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Richard use the Heilman box from Heilman Designs (http://www.heilmandesigns.com/). The most common size for those doing PA is the Backpack model. Otherwise, the Original or Large are great for going to and from a studio. A bit less costly alternative are the Travel boxes from Dakota (http://www.dakotapastels.com/pages/boxes-dakota.aspx).

MCook04
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Those are sweet. Thanks for the links!

Lynndidj
11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Mike - if you are planning trips where you will be flying, I would recommend the backpack size Heilman. I have the medium size and I have flown with it, but it gets heavy. Of course, I love having more pastels with me! You cannot go wrong with the Heilman - it is well made and protects your pastels so well. I, however, do not ever check my pastel box in a suitcase - I always carry it on the plane. Just a little more info for you.

Lynn

MCook04
11-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Lynn:

Thanks for the advice. My wife and I live in a one bedroom apartment so we do not have much room. I thought an organization box may be good so I can stow away my pastels. I am starting to realize why a studio is necessary. I am quickly acquiring new tools and my desk at home (to my wife's dismay) has been taken over by pastels and a make-shift easel :angel:.

Mike

Lynndidj
11-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Mike - from your avatar you look like you may be newly married? Anyway, until you have a studio area you will need compact storage. I would probably recommend the medium Heilman then, so you can fit full pastels in there. I just keep 1/2's or 1/3's, depending on the type of pastel, in my box so I can fit more colors for workshops and plein air painting. The rest stay in drawers so I can match up the favorites that start getting low in my box. It is a good system that many use, but until you have more space you will have to adapt. Be forewarned - pastels are like candy to pastel artists - you can never have enough!!

Lynn