PDA

View Full Version : Two to a new home, plus small works question

Potoma
11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Sold two paintings today at a government office building retail vending opportunity. Was there all week without a sale, so I'm glad to have these go to a good home. She choose two older ones which were my two favorites - one was in my living room! I have these new display stands and also have stuff showing at about five other venues, so I was running low on paintings for this opportunity. I had to seek extra stuff from my walls to take to fill the racks up.

I want to show one aspect. One unframed, odd-sized painting I liked, but didn't work overall, hung paper punched through a nail on my wall for a year. Tis the season for small works exhibits, so I cut it into seven 4x6s last week, shown right. I actually like them better as pieces than as the whole.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2010/59298-PB020006.JPG

How do you fill your small works quota? I debate over it and put way too much energy into it, particularly in finding sale frames all year and, when I find a model, going to every Michael's in three counties. That was this year. Last year, I used a variety of frames without success, but opted for unity this year.

DAK723
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Interesting idea - to cut up a larger work into 7 smaller ones! I suppose there might be some of mine that would look better cut up!

Congrats on the sales!

Don

pastel lover
11-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Congrats on the sale. Nice looking display. Is it hard to put up?

Tanja

IMaybe
11-07-2010, 01:00 PM
:wave: Hello, just wanted to say your disply looks nice and professional. sounds like you are working hard , congrats on your sales!

Adriana Meiss
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Bonnie,
Congratulations on your sales. Some venues are better than others for selling, but have you consider selling your own cards? At the shows I participate everyone buys cards. You might even recover the show entrance fee by selling cards.

From my own experience, small paintings sell much better than medium or large ones, but I always have at least a large one and 3 medium ones on display, just in case. You might get some commission work this way.

As frames go, I use a variety of them, since some paintings look better with light colored frames. At every store I go I keep my eyes open for the right frame.

Love your display. Mine is an old one so I always have some kind of light fabric to cover it. This reminds me I need to order "flat" feet for them!

Potoma
11-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks, Don. I am really glad about how the smaller ones look. I did go back to a few with pastel pencils to give them a new focal point.

Tanja, they aren't difficult to put up. They break down in two for easy transport as well. I can carry two sets of panels at a time pretty easily.

Thank you, IMaybe. Although I'd used two previously, this was the first outing with four new panels. I ordered black fabric to cover the sections and it didn't come in in time, but I really liked how the mesh allowed me to talk to people through the panels and how light came through, too.

Adriana, I have contemplated doing cards, but I have never gone through with them. I haven't done any prints, either, probably for similar reasons. At least this display doesn't have a set up fee.

Sueb
11-08-2010, 05:03 PM
That's an advantage of working on paper. Crop them, split them up. What freedom! Your set up and paintings look swell. It's a very creative approach to making a save and making a sale. Congratulations.

saramathewson
11-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Congratulations on the sales Bonnie! I love the display stands! Can I ask where you got them?

Sara

Potoma
11-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Hi Sara and thanks. Everyone I know has gotten them from Graphic Display Systems (http://www.graphicdisplaysystems.com/), which makes it handy for them to all fit together when needed.