PDA

View Full Version : Question about sealer

purplepansey
11-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I have lots of watercolor paper I want to use and some of it for acylics but don't like the way the paper sucks up the paint. :(
Wouldn't using a sealer be a good idea to prevent absorption of the paint - what are your thoughts on this? What kind or brand of sealer :confused: ??

vet
11-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Hi, I have used watercolor paper with acrylics. When I use acrylics like watercolor then I add nothing to the paper but if I don't want the acrylics to soak through the paper then I use Gesso. I like the thick one but that all depends on preference. There are a lot of different brands but they all do the same thing coat a canvas.

Yvette

purplepansey
11-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks yvette I've tried gesso just thought maybe a sealer would be a better choice to prevent absorptions of colors so they's stay on the surface and not sink into the paper.

Eraethil
11-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Golden's GAC 100 is good for sealing the wood panels I use and would probably do the trick for you, but I'm not sure how you would keep the paper from warping. You may have to seal both sides. Cheers.

purplepansey
11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Golden's GAC 100 is good for sealing the wood panels I use and would probably do the trick for you, but I'm not sure how you would keep the paper from warping. You may have to seal both sides. Cheers.

Thanks , I'll look into it and will try it on both sides of paper. :clap:

trevors
11-04-2010, 09:06 PM
ANY PVA sealer will serve you well from any DIY store ( walmart ) ?

Einion
11-05-2010, 05:10 AM
If you'd like to keep the appearance of the paper relatively unchanged but reduce the absorbency you can apply a thin layer of glue (this is how papers are sized commercially) and PVA or acrylic medium are both options here.

Acrylic 'gesso' can be used on paper of course, and if you apply enough you can actually hide the support even before the paint goes on. Can often not affect absorbency as much as you'd expect though, in case that's also a factor.

I quite like the way that paper feels under the brush - it's the first support I painted on in acrylics - but I don't really care for the way it looks often with a thin film of acrylic paint. My solution to this in the past, and often still is, is simply to apply more paint. I normally do this in multiple layers but you can apply one or more thicker coats just like on canvas or board.

Einion

purplepansey
11-05-2010, 12:44 PM
A big thanks to those who offered suggestions here to my query, I will try some of them and Einion, I will try a thin layer of glue, Elmers maybe diluted with a little water and try it out, have nothing to lose but a piece of paper but I don't really call experimenting a loss if you find something doesn't work.

Magical_Realist
11-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I've been using Arches Cover printmaking paper (having found it on sale at a great price). It's nice paper, but it's got a very soft, unsized surface that sucks up paint like a sponge.

So I dampen the surface of the paper, then cover it with a layer of thinned matte medium or Golden's satin glazing medium. One coat of dilute matte medium reduces the absorbency of the paper drastically while still leaving plenty of "tooth" to it; a second coat reduces absorbency even further. I don't like starting a painting with a slick surface, and I like the softer look of "paper-white" rather than "gesso-white," so this works really well. And while the paper buckles a bit, dampening the back side after the matte medium dries, and leaving it to dry face-down, makes it flatten out just fine.

purplepansey
11-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Magical I'll give the medium a try.