PDA

View Full Version : couple of Sennelier questions

sundiver
12-09-2002, 06:28 PM
1. I keep reading that Sennelier has good darks. Since I'd have to order them online, sight unseen, can anyone recommend a good very dark green, or other favourite darks?
Or is there a less crumbly brand with good darks?

2. Has anyone had experience with Sennelier oil pastels, and if so would you recommend them?

Thanks! :)

MarshaSavage
12-10-2002, 06:30 AM
Sennelier does have a wonderful "black-green", but I cannot remember the number. I don't really recommend the Sennelier except their half-stick sets. The whole sticks are so small in diameter that they crumble too easily for the price you pay.

The alternative would be to look at the Terry Ludwig pastels. He has some of the best greens I have seen anywhere. Go to his web site and check it out! I have a set of his darks and absolutely love them. I am about to order the full set of greens and can't wait. His pastels hold up extremely well and I love the shape -- they are chunky and square instead of rounded. The next best would be to check out the Unison pastels. They are my second love in a pastel stick -- again chunky and easy to hold.

Good luck!

jimb
12-10-2002, 10:01 AM
I couldn't recommend Sennelier either. I have half sticks and they are WAY too fragile. Soft is one thing but I'm almost afraid to work with them.
Nu-Pastels and Rembrant is my choice.

sundiver
12-10-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Marsha and jimb!
I guess I should check out those Terry Ludwigs.
Marsha, do you know of a good dark green in the Unisons?
Jimb, I also have Nupastels, and some Rembrandts, but the dark greens in the Rembrandts have been disappointing. I'm looking for a nice, soft, dramatic dark green.

Taminka
12-10-2002, 06:29 PM
sundiver - I have 3 great Unison dark greens
- A 43
- DK 10
- DK 15
The first is a good dark mid green. the other 2 are darker and more bluish.

Cheers,
Minky

jackiesimmonds
12-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Another excellent range of darks is Schminke. They have a box of darks which is just wonderful.
Jackie

sundiver
12-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Minky and Jackie! :)

Redsy333
12-14-2002, 04:01 AM
Unison has one to die for...its A43! I have a few of the shminke I use too, but I dont know their numbers sorry!! They are half sticks is best I can tell ya:D
Good luck!!

Anna Marie
12-14-2002, 06:13 PM
I agree the UNISON A43 is the dk green to Die for it is magic.