PDA

View Full Version : Plein Air Landscapes - JTMB

JTMB
11-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, I decided to get another thread going, although this one won't be too active - at least during the winter months. The theme here will be plein air landscapes. Usually I do these in watercolor and in Arches watercolor sketchbooks of various sizes. Today the class I'm in painted on Lake Washington near the University of Washington, and my result is here.

This is about 13 x 10 inches in a 3/4 full Arches watercolor sketchbook.

The scene is from a point of land looking back at the shore over a small bay. It was (surprisingly, given our normal November weather) a gorgeous day and the low morning autumn light lit up the scene.

C&C always welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Nov-2010/165640-1949-S70-MontlakeFillPAinMHClass-Nov2,10-WS.jpg

Davkin
11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Very nice John! Did you use pans or tubes? Which brand?

David

JTMB
11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
David - I make up my own pans from Daniel Smith tube watercolors. DS is a local company, and they make good products, so I try to support them. They sell an enamelled metal box that holds 20 or 24 small pans so you can use whatever colors you want. I fill the pans out of the tube paints, then leave the box open for a few days until the paint hardens enough so that it won't ooze everywhere if the box doesn't stay perfectly level. There might be one or two of the pans that are M. Graham watercolors, another fairly local (Portland, Oregon) company whose products I like as well.

virgo68
11-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Love the colours John! Autumn is one of my favourite times of the year (although Spring here at the moment it is pretty nice too!)

You are certainly stretching yourself taking up new subjects to paint and draw - good for you! I will enjoy watching your progress ;)

JTMB
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks, Jackie! Actually, I've done quite a bit of landscape before...the newer stuff is birds and portraits. I've just been focusing most of my efforts on areas I'm trying to learn better.

seejay
11-02-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't see trees like that around here John. You have painted us a beautiful scene indeed. :clap:

sarales
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
VERY nice, John! I love these colors. This one looks frameable!

DrDebby
11-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Absolutely lovely painting. I didn't know DS was local to the Pacific NW. Cool.

JTMB
11-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks Chris, Leslie and Debby!

Yes, Debby, Daniel Smith is a Seattle company. Their paints are made in south Seattle near Safeco Field and Qwest Field, our stadiums.

eyepaint
11-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Stunning!

WYSIWYG
11-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Beautiful! I so appreciate all the artists here who are doing autumn scenes - we don't get the beautiful change of colours here so it's always a nice taste of home! (Without having to worry about needing to plow snow in a few months! LOL)

RainySea
11-04-2010, 11:31 PM
beautiful John. . . I love the way the trees color the water and the contrast of the soft blue sky against all the warms. Nice watercolor. I didn't realize you were taking a class. . . that if very cool. Hope you enjoy it. I sure wish I had time outside of work to take a real art class, one of these days.